NEST install

Don
Hi all - finally purchased a NEST - giving it a go with the installation myself; It's a new build, existing thermostat. Here's a picture (beware big image!):

OiI8tzt.jpg

There's also a grey wire in the background and also the ground (yellow green) which is connected into the wall.

can anyone tell me the correct way to wire this up for a NEST please, e.g which wires go where please? :)

Don
OP
Thanks for the response. Do I need to do anything with the grey one at the back (which isn't connected currently)? What about the earth? Keep that attached to the inbuilt cage?

Soldato
What's the script for installing installing a Nest when you've got a combi boiler but no thermostat installed in the house already?

The combi boiler just has it's own built in timer thing on the front (mechanical type) and I've just got a switch that's either "on, off, timer".

Could I still get one?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
...to the heat link, not the boiler.

Ive been looking at changing to one of these systems since i changed the boiler recently and am generally revamping the heating system.

In the case of the nest and most of these systems (cosy, nest, hive, etc) the control unit (heat link) sits where the wired stat would be and mechanically calls for heat as usual.

The actual user interface unit connects to this wirelessly and may be placed anywhere.

Soldato
What connections do you have on the nest heat link?

Forget the earth as it's connected to the back box, forget the grey.

All you need to do is connect the brown and black to the com and on connections (if that's what they have on nest) take a photo of the nest heat link with connections.

Does the nest heat link need a constant live?

Your current stat runs off of batteries.

Soldato
Nah, your original one is powered by the battery, those two wires are live feed and live return. All the stat does is close the switch between them when it's calling for heat and that brings the heating on.

Soldato
Does the NEST controller always have to be plugged in? Can I just take it off the wall and have it in the livingroom with me when I know I'm going to spend the day in there rather than the actively doing things around the house - at which point, back on the wall in the hall would make perfect sense.

Soldato
What's the script for installing installing a Nest when you've got a combi boiler but no thermostat installed in the house already?

The combi boiler just has it's own built in timer thing on the front (mechanical type) and I've just got a switch that's either "on, off, timer".

Could I still get one?

yes, this is how mine was set up.

i have to plug my nest into the usb thing though, the heatlink gets hard wired to boiler.

Back
Top Bottom