• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

cpu 89 degrees under load

Associate
hwmonitor reported this when i was playing crysis 3 for about 10mins.
this went up to 99 and seemed to peak at 100.

i was playing on medium settins, as i felt that to be fair to my gpu and cpu. this has enabled me to get a generally steady 60fps for the most part.

after googling around, the general consensus of opinion is that these temps are not good, seeing as i could essentially fry an egg on my cpu for that.

specs:

gtx 660
i3 2130

is it thermal paste time?

aplogies if i leave any info out. let me know and i will let you know.

Last edited:
Soldato
hwmonitor reported this when i was playing crysis 3 for about 10mins.
this went up to 99 and seemed to peak at 100.

i was playing on medium settins, as i felt that to be fair to my gpu and cpu. this has enabled me to get a generally steady 60fps for the most part.

after googling around, the general consensus of opinion is that these temps are not good, seeing as i could essentially fry an egg on my cpu for that.

specs:

gtx 660
i3 2130

is it thermal paste time?

aplogies if i leave any info out. let me know and i will let you know.

What CPU cooler, and have you looked inside the case to see if the cooler fan is running? The most likely explanation is that it's failed. Other than that, maybe some really bad thermal paste expansion.

Also, you need to check the GPU temp too, otherwise you won't know if that's the cause instead, and affecting CPU temps.

Or a HWMonitor false reading, could also install a different monitoring program to compare.

Associate
OP
cheers for getting back, danny ;)

i would have thought the pc would have shut down if the cpu cooler wasn't working?
i did read around that apparently cpu's can survive without their coolers (?)

i was going to mention gpu temps, but i wasn't too sure it was relevant.

hwmonitor said 83 degrees.

i'll have to check to see if the fan is working on the cpu 2moro morning and get back to you.

Associate
OP
i have just bought some ic diamond thermal compound & isopropyl alcohol.

i found a video with someone cleaning a fan & heatsink without using compressed air.

my pc case does not have any fans apart from the fans on the gpu & cpu.

i live in the uk, so it does not get too hot over here where i live.

is it advisable to install extra fans, or will i be ok if i regularly clean the pc case, cooler and every year or two re-apply thermal paste?

Soldato
Well the majority of us is from the UK seeing as this is a UK based forum for a UK based shop :p.

If it's a good thermal paste, you don't need to reapply it every year. I haven't reapplied mine since being built 5 years ago and still works well.

Depends on the case, but I would have at least one exhaust fan, so the hot air will have a direction to escape. The stock intel cooler doesn't really help either as it's just blasting hot air to the rest of the PC in all directions. Seeing as you have a discrete GPU it might be a good idea for an intake fan as well. Again this depends on your case.

Not sure about you but down here in Essex it's been getting pretty warm here, I've been needing to dedust my computer every couple of months or so. In the winter I can get away with a little longer.

Associate
You need at least one exhaust fan on the case really. Theres normally a spot for one at the top back of the case near where the CPU is located and they aren't too expensive really. It will likely be a 120mm fan you need but could also be 80mm depending on what case you have. I'd start of by fitting one and seeing how you get on, it might be all you need.

Associate
OP
1) i'm going to clean out the stock fan & cooler.
2) clean the cpu & re-apply the thermal paste (that arrived today).
3) attempt cable management.

i will definitely do as you guys have advised, and i will buy an aftermarket cooler.
£20 is my budget.

i just want to see how much difference the above three steps provide initially, with regards to temp reduction.

as for in-take & out-take fans: i supplied supply pics.

here goes:

i have space for an in-take fan at the bottom, front of my case, but i don't know what good that will do, as seen here:

IMG-20160705-00070.jpg

the rack is in the way, plus the front is taken up with the power on button:
you might feel compelled to stare at some of my dvd collection in the background, perhaps ;)

IMG-20160705-00076.jpg

the rear case fan should be ok, i take it [no obstructions]?
well, apart from that psu cpu cable.
where can i jam that psu cpu cable?

IMG-20160705-00077.jpg

IMG-20160705-00073.jpg

1) there are some loose sata cables that i'm not using from the psu that have come loose from the empty bay on the top-right. they were crammed in there out of the way.
they can be jammed back there out of the way.

IMG-20160705-00075.jpg

1) i want to see if i can move the psu mobo cable slightly up and squeeze it behind the back of the right side of the case. then maybe i could use the circular opening on the case to the right of the ram sticks to feed the psu mobo cable through & connect it to the mobo?

i don't like it hanging out next to the gpu.

2) i'm going to remove the bottom hd, as it is not really being used.

yes, a snakes nest, but i can hopefully do some improvements.

over to you, gents!

Last edited:
Associate
Stock coolers are crap, change that to something good and you will be ok.

Seriously?
Stock coolers are poor, but they are designed to work and be within spec of the CPU.
Any warranty will be honoured with a stock cooler, not an after-market cooler.
If your CPU is operating within acceptable levels why should someone upgrade and spend another £40 on an aftermarket cooler?

You've bought a quality CPU now buy an aftermarket cooler for another £40, and don't forget to upgrade to Win10, upgrade to 32GB of RAM lol even though you only web browse :eek:

/rant lol

Permabanned
Last edited:
Associate
OP
In my opinion, couple of fans one for intake at the front and an exhaust at the back.
As already mentioned grab a better cooler, ever the £20 ones will be ok.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/raijintek-aidos-direct-contact-cpu-cooler-black-hs-013-rt.html

Grab some cable tidy and bunch those wires together to create better air flow. Then you'll be gaming fuss free.

will do :)

how would the in-take fan work?
surely there is no outside cooler air for it to take in as the pics show?
whereas the exhaust fan would be able to vent warm air directly out of the back, the in-take fan has to deal with the fact that there is the front panel of the case stopping it from accessing outside cooler air.

Soldato
I'm assuming there are vents at the bottom of the front panel?

It's better than nothing. Looking at the photos I'm guessing the front mount needs a slim 80mm fan, while the back can fit a 80 or 92mm fan.

Associate
Seriously?
Stock coolers are poor, but they are designed to work and be within spec of the CPU.
Any warranty will be honoured with a stock cooler, not an after-market cooler.
If your CPU is operating within acceptable levels why should someone upgrade and spend another £40 on an aftermarket cooler?

You've bought a quality CPU now buy an aftermarket cooler for another £40, and don't forget to upgrade to Win10, upgrade to 32GB of RAM lol even though you only web browse :eek:

/rant lol

They are still crap, I would never put a stock cooler into a build for anyone they are awful

Back
Top Bottom