Fractal Design S v Corsair 400Q

Soldato
In process of planning a new skylake build and I have kind of settled on these cases as possible choices. Will be running 2 gpu's, a couple of SSD's and one mechanical.

Seems from looking at reviews the Fractal has the edge in airflow as it can have 3x140mm fans in the front vs Corsair's 2 and also comes with decent fans. And unlike the 400Q you can fit a H110i in the roof of the fractal. I'd likely be doing a light overclock so a H110i or a good tower cooler would do.

Another option I was thinking about is the Coolermaster Mastercase 5. A more open design so not as quiet but like the Fractal supports a rad up top (in the pro version of it you buy the kit) and 3 front fans, and the mechanical can sit in the lower drive bay separated from the rest of components while the SSD's can sit on top of the PSU or around the back. Seems the Fractal has everyone beat on price though.

Any advice appreciated ?

Associate
I have had both and I will be honest the difference is minor. I am not overly impressed by the 400Q but temps wise it isn't worse than the define S so the extra 140mm fan makes limited difference. Noise wise the define is slightly quieter but this is to do with low pitch noise that the define seems better able to block. I run my system at practically silent both at idle and in game so I am admittedly obsessive about noise, I honestly think most people wouldn't notice any difference in the noise levels between the two cases.

On a side note, while you can add the h110i to the roof of the define this would completely ruin the cases noise dampening properties.

The define S is nicer to build into but the corsair admittedly looks nicer externally and is smaller. The fans provided in the define are very nice and wont need to be replaced, whereas the corsair fans are noisy in comparison.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for great advice and pointing out about an aio in the roof. Thinking of a quiet tower cooler for CPU as i always end up with pump noise with aios. Leaning towards the corsair with fractal venturi or phantek fans front and back.

Associate
Any reason for.the preference in aios? I know they are neat but the nh d15 or the dark Rock pro 3 will give similar performance with little to no noise. Not sure if the nhd15 will fit in the corsaie but it does fit in the fractal. The dark Rock fits in both as well. Have you looked at the phanteks p400s. That looks like a very good silent case as well, comparable to the corsair but comes with fan filters as well.

Soldato
OP
Purely for neatness but as I mentioned in my last post "Thinking of a quiet tower cooler for CPU as i always end up with pump noise with aios" :)

Also, I don't want to have to deal with corsair link.

The D15 is an option and will fit in the Corsair. There is an S version too which is quieter but it looks to me like a D15 with just 1 fan. The phanteks ph-tc14pe is also excellent (had one before) and will fit. SPCR rated the fans that come with it the smoothest and quietest 140mm fans they tested. I also like the look of the Dark Rock although some people complain it's tricky to fit. Probably the quietest
of the 3.

The P400S is very interesting indeed. Definitely a runner. Thanks.

Associate
Having just replaced my dark Rock pro 3 with the nhd15 I can say noise levels are very similar with low noise adaptor attached to the nochtua and temps are a bit better. The nhd15 is a dream to install far easier to install than any other cooler including aios in my opinion. The dark Rock is a bit fiddly but tbh you so rarely have to.do it that it isn't really an issue.

Not used the phanteks so can't comment on the cooler but if you do look.at the njd15 don't bother with the s version as it is just the normal one with one less fan. Although the cooler is also.offset so if you need the uppermost PCI slot on your mobo it is the better choice and temps wise is practically the same despite only having one fan.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the advice. I like the looks of the Darkrock better but I guess the D15 is probably the better bet. Will be using corsair lp ram so I'm sure either will fit.

Associate
Yes, the material does get a little crushed but it's not an issue. the main problem is that the pwm hub sucks and therefore can be removed. There is also a small circuit board that controls the led lighting which also makes a slight imprint in the dampening material but again this is not an issue.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bit of a necro bump but what made me choose the Corsair was it has dust filters. Found out the Define does too so got one as cheaper.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom