Fishing - Anybody doing any ?

Man of Honour
a northerly wind usually knocks the sea flat for a good few miles out, you should get out id imagen.. just wont be going too far off shore

Man of Honour
careful melting lead, can be quite explosive if there is any moisture in it,
i heard its best to chuck the lead in the oven for a while first to make sure its moisture free

Soldato
careful melting lead, can be quite explosive if there is any moisture in it,
i heard its best to chuck the lead in the oven for a while first to make sure its moisture free

Yup.. basically putting the lead in a place to dry is the best option. Same with any metal but the lead pipes have a tendency to have crap in that harbours moisture.

I'll make a crucible at some point - I have an eye one the MAPP solder mix bottle as that's quite a thick steel. Naturally draining it and then venting any last remnants of mixture are needed before attempting any cutting - don't want a darwin award.

Think the first challenge is to figure out how to make a lead mould out of alu. Either ground cat-little sand or PofP.

Also all of this will be used outside.. using charcoal and the work shop vac exhaust :)

Last edited:
Tea Drinker
Don
I've made lead projectiles before and the best material to melt down is old wheel weights they have the perfect mix of lead and antimony. If you go to a wheel place they may sell you a bucket of old ones.

Man of Honour
ive got a bag full of old leads.. so many its hard to lift, id never use them, maybe i could chuck them your way and you could give me a couple of the new leads you make from them,
shame i chucked away a bag of 27lbs of lead when i moved house last year, it was off cuts from the roofers on home extentions i was working on many years ago

Man of Honour
Roofing lead is too soft

hmm, hadnt thought/didnt know about that, its long gone now anyway,
the big bag of old leads ive got are worth re-moulding though, theres some 1.5-2lb boat leads along with umpteen old gripper leads,
i only use impact leads so il never use the old ones again

Soldato
For boating roofing lead may be ok, especially in lighter weights. One idea would be to make the front tip of the weight from steel, then the lead is just acting as a payload.

Sounds like a plan - the foundry seems to be hardening up nicely - including the top.. the colder weather meant that it took longer to cure/dry. I'll keep it indoors for the next couple of nights as it's 0 and -1 forecast at night. Not a good idea with a water saturated mould. Once dry it'll be fine to remain in the garage.

Can make a mould with gripper holes, they can be added after.

Man of Honour
ive had a look at the old leads ive got, probably got ~20lb of boat/shore leads, trouble is i didnt realise how many of them look unused, although im unlikely to use the majority of them again it would be a shame to re mould them.

Soldato
Old spark plugs we were using once when we went out on a boat for basic weights

Yup - basically any heavy item that could be lost without worry. If you have some old rusty nuts (!) that works with smaller tides.

In a boat the tide really governs what you can do and the gear type you can use. It doesn't matter how fancy the rod, reel and lure is.. if you're fishing in the wrong depth..

Still waiting on a job application result.. but a mate has arranged a couple of trips (including taking me out for the blown off trip)..

The furnace is drying nicely.. managed to destroy the top but the bottom is still ok. May give it a bit of a warming up using a couple of BBQ bricks in a metal holder to help reduce the temperature shock initially.. The thing I want to use as a crucible is the MAPP canister that's still got some in.. but I have some other bottles and things that will do between..

Soldato
Foundry melts aluminium :D (690degC) so that means lead (330degC) should be easy :D All done outside so.

Still open top at the moment so to eats charcoal for breakfast. Once it's used without having an inner charcoal holder and a new top.. the temps should be easier with.

Soldato
Interesting..
This competition is the first on of the seris will be first come first severed if wishing to fish it please comment below or message me
Flat fish summer league
Start Saturday 5th of March. Start time 10am-2pmbooking in from 8am till 9am
All competitions will be pegged limited to 25pegs it will be catch and release minimum 18cm to chart, Entry fee will be £10 all in. The series of competitions will be fishing through Cambridge road booking in will be at treasure island car park. Rules are 1rod 3 hooks No muddies, whites or crab Weighing in will be at the place of booking in.
If bait is required book with Me, Arran (A&T Tackle), Tony (Tony’s Tackle), Kevin (Anglers Den)
Able to book in on facebook message Martin Payne or Anglers Den Tony’s Tackle by phone or just pop in

Man of Honour
hmm, bit wet n windy down at Selsey today, hope it perks up in the comming weeks as my first trip of the year is comming up soon

Jyi3QDM.png uk7m5cI.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Well.. after 8 interviews I've just been offered a job.. so my time for jaunts during the week may be limited soon :/ I suppose that makes up for the having to cancel my place in the trip that was planned for today (but cancelled due to weather). :)

Those sea conditions look a bit.. umm .. invigorating!

Once the details of the package come through I should get an idea of the start date.. so I may look at a jaunt down hayling way. However until there's signed pieces of paper I have a clamp on the financials..

Back
Top Bottom