Sennheiser gsx 1000 thread?

Man of Honour
GSX beats the **** out of Dolby Atmos there - I really like the eSport mode though - sure it sounds horrid but the positional separation of every sound atleast for me is bang on so for competitive stuff it would be really good.

Soldato
OP
GSX beats the **** out of Dolby Atmos there - I really like the eSport mode though - sure it sounds horrid but the positional separation of every sound atleast for me is bang on so for competitive stuff it would be really good.

Yeah I do agree with you, for what it is ment for its perfectly well done. But for me personally I would much rather have decent quality even if it did give me an advantage. :D

Soldato
OP
Someone posted this on Headfi, I have given my view on this do any of you agree with me? Its best to open this video in two tabs and get to the point on each and play it in parts together.

Here is my view on this comparison.
For me the GSX gives better surround sound, I dont like the echo effect the SBX gives Perfect example of this is the nade on Rainbow six.
Yeah on RB6 the nade on SBX sounds much further away than it really is, where the GSX plays the sound much closer.
Even the first window breach you do, the GSX explosion sound and gun sounds have more of a punch to it. The SBX loose its punch effect.

Witcher 3 not sure if its just me but I hear the rear sound more clear and for longer? The man sawing is good part when you walk to the river.

Soldato
OP
Just bought this from the rainforest, hopefully this will remove the noise from not using Line-In
YINGLUN Analog to Digital Audio Converter Convert Analog L/R Audio Signal to Coaxial Toslink Digital Audio signal

Soldato
I currently have an aging auzentech prelude. Would this likely be a noticable upgrade given how much the tech seems to have moved on?

Also likely my next mobo wont support it anyway as its PCI so exploring options now.

Soldato
Ok installed with headphones and a few questions:

Windows Volume control options - I have to set this to "Speakers (Main Audio)" for any touch settings to work on device, is this normal Earphone headset sounds crap so guessing so.

What settings should I use for games like BF1, do I need any sidetone or reverb?

Bit underwhelmed by the Bass but that could be my HD555 headphone, though with my SB-Z the bass can be very good indeed so doubtful.

Do I need to set 7.1 in games or stereo headphones?

Soldato
OP
Ok installed with headphones and a few questions:

Windows Volume control options - I have to set this to "Speakers (Main Audio)" for any touch settings to work on device, is this normal Earphone headset sounds crap so guessing so.

What settings should I use for games like BF1, do I need any sidetone or reverb?

Bit underwhelmed by the Bass but that could be my HD555 headphone, though with my SB-Z the bass can be very good indeed so doubtful.

Do I need to set 7.1 in games or stereo headphones?

Correct make sure speaker main audio is selected, then go into configuration and select 7.1 and full speaker. Apply setting.

The earphone setting is for teamspeak etc make sure within them applications you select this has the default output.

For games you want to select surround or 5.1 or 7.1 option when available.
For battlefield 1 I use headphones with surround sound enabled.

The presets on the unit is personal preference tbh
If you enjoy the reverb setting I personally don't.

The only settings you have natural, esports, music and story. Use story if you want added base, use natural if you want just normal base, use esports if you want zero base etc

Soldato
OP
Config is ghosted out, maybe I've defaulted headset in control panel I'll check

You should be able to configure speakers, the earphones you can't.
The earphones is only for communication, it separate the game audio and communication audio into two different channels.

The great thing about this is you can now higher and lower people in say teamspeak without effecting the game audio. Or another great use is recording, if you choose a program that can record multiple devices you can now record game audio and voice audio separately or choose not to record teamspeak at all.

No more friends shouting at the wrong times while recording :D

Soldato
Thanks for your help got it all setup right now, the surround sound is insane, never heard such distance or detail, when sniping in a windmill top floor I can hear some-one enter the wooden flooring downstairs with a diagnal downwards footstep. Would have liked a bit more bass, use to more with my SB-Z finely tune but the sound quality is nice and perhaps I did overkill the bass before a bit. Looking forward to getting my upgrade on headphones next to the HD599's.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for your help got it all setup right now, the surround sound is insane, never heard such distance or detail, when sniping in a windmill top floor I can hear some-one enter the wooden flooring downstairs with a diagnal downwards footstep. Would have liked a bit more bass, use to more with my SB-Z finely tune but the sound quality is nice and perhaps I did overkill the bass before a bit. Looking forward to getting my upgrade on headphones next to the HD599's.

Sweet :D I used to have the sound blaster z on balanced so my base wasn't over done, I hated the base setting on the SBz I feel it was way of the top.

Were on the GSX I feel the base is just right.
The surround sound on the GSX is super good.

Soldato
OP
Sent mine back for credit :( too many problems with BF1, so bought a Sound Blaster ZX instead.

What problems? Mine has worked perfectly, apart from the issue I had with USB ports when first got the unit. that was a simple fix though I just needed to install the GSX USB on to a USB hub away from my Snowball mic

Soldato
Analog to Digital just made it worst :( No sound at all just a hum

Do you have a DAC you can connect to the ADC to check it's working?

Hard to know what the problem might be without some troubleshooting.

If the ADC is working, then the problem must be on the SB Z side.

Have you tried using the SB Z optical in with anything else? Console for example.

Back
Top Bottom