Gabe Newell AMA tomorrow

Associate
Would be more interested in him commenting on Steam-related issues such as the problem of Early Access/Green light abuse, the shovelware plague, and the shafting of small developers.

Oh and pricing, crappy sales, protecting kids from gambling, etc etc.

Man of Honour
He needs to nip this in the bud with HL3, it's getting tiresome now. Are you going to finish the series or not bother. It's a simple question.

I think the problem with HL3 is how hard it is to do something truly innovative and original these days and everyone would be disappointed with a generic sequel.

Associate
I guess one of the questions would be commenting on recent number of articles that question the clique culture of valve studios that stifle creativity due to the whims of the upper echelons who havnt made games in decades.#

Would be more interested in him commenting on Steam-related issues such as the problem of Early Access/Green light abuse, the shovelware plague, and the shafting of small developers.

I do feel like steam is slowly losing its iron grip/monopoly. I used to hate origin/uplay etc but with GOG and good customer experiences Im warming to the idea of steam not being the only choice for digital distribution. I understand that game devs dont want 30% of their profits going to steam for the "privelege"

windows store can go to hell though

Last edited:
Soldato

100% agree.

I guess one of the questions would be commenting on recent number of articles that question the clique culture of valve studios that stifle creativity due to the whims of the upper echelons who havnt made games in decades.#

I do feel like steam is slowly losing its iron grip/monopoly. I used to hate origin/uplay etc but with GOG and good customer experiences Im warming to the idea of steam not being the only choice for digital distribution. I understand that game devs dont want 30% of their profits going to steam for the "privelege"

windows store can go to hell though

I don't think it's losing it's grip in the slightest, but people are slowly loosening their grudge over other platforms.

Personally, I check allkeyshop.com for the cheapest price, couldn't give 2 shades of **** what platform it's on.

Soldato
He needs to nip this in the bud with HL3, it's getting tiresome now. Are you going to finish the series or not bother. It's a simple question.

Yeah it would not be hard to say "there are currently no plans to continue the series but the door will remain open if we feel we could make a worthy successor"

Because let's face it the hype would be to much and it would be more than likely a massively disappointing game.

As others have said I would like to hear about the plague of issues around steam rather than a game that's not going to come out.

Stuff like; plans to improve customer service,absolutely awful green light abuse/games,early access games seem to make up 7/10 new releases on steam now,abuse of small devs, gambling is a big one but for me the biggest two things that have recently been bothering me are the lack luster sales (where flash sales at gabe??) & the ever increasing instability of the platform. Me and some friends game daily and always use steam and as of late we all get at least 5 crashes a week each. Stuff like steam chat whilst we use it all the time it can be a nightmare now trying to start a call as it gets confused and continues ringing once you answer for instance.

Steam is fast loosing it's simplistic charm :(

Caporegime
OP
I think the problem with HL3 is how hard it is to do something truly innovative and original these days and everyone would be disappointed with a generic sequel.

Don't see whats wrong with just continuing the story, physics aside i liked how HL2 approached the story by letting you piece things together instead of having some random npc come out and blab it all to you. From the npc perspective you've been living in the same world so should know everything that's went on, so it was a good call by valve to let you piece things together as you went along.

Caporegime
OP
Maybe someone should ask him why his companies work ethos is trash?

The way they work on games does seem really strange, it seems to revolve around if they can be bothered to do it or not. I remember an interview with some valve guy on TF2 and putting dlc together for the 360 version and all he could say was "its a lot of work" over and over. Apparently doing work was a foreign concept to him. :confused:

Soldato
Don't see whats wrong with just continuing the story, physics aside i liked how HL2 approached the story by letting you piece things together instead of having some random npc come out and blab it all to you. From the npc perspective you've been living in the same world so should know everything that's went on, so it was a good call by valve to let you piece things together as you went along.

This.

Continue the story on from HL2: Episode 2.

1. Go rescue Alyx

2. Locate and search The Borealis

3. More Gravity Gun Fun!

Caporegime
When is HL 3 due?
When is HL 3 due?
When is HL 3 due?
When is HL 3 due?
When is HL 3 due?
When is HL 3 due?
When is HL 3 due?
When is HL 3 due?
When is HL 3 due?
When is HL 3 due?
When is HL 3 due?
When is HL 3 due?
When is HL 3 due?
When is HL 3 due?
When is HL 3 due?
When is HL 3 due?
When is HL 3 due?
When is HL 3 due?
When is HL 3 due?
When is HL 3 due?
When is HL 3 due?
When is HL 3 due?
When is HL 3 due?
When is HL 3 due?
When is HL 3 due?
When is HL 3 due?
When is HL 3 due?
When is HL 3 due?
When is HL 3 due?
When is HL 3 due?
When is HL 3 due?
When is HL 3 due?
When is HL 3 due?

AND

When is L4D 3 due?
When is L4D 3 due?
When is L4D 3 due?
When is L4D 3 due?
When is L4D 3 due?
When is L4D 3 due?
When is L4D 3 due?
When is L4D 3 due?
When is L4D 3 due?
When is L4D 3 due?
When is L4D 3 due?
When is L4D 3 due?
When is L4D 3 due?
When is L4D 3 due?
When is L4D 3 due?
When is L4D 3 due?
When is L4D 3 due?
When is L4D 3 due?
When is L4D 3 due?
When is L4D 3 due?
When is L4D 3 due?
When is L4D 3 due?
When is L4D 3 due?
When is L4D 3 due?
When is L4D 3 due?
When is L4D 3 due?
When is L4D 3 due?
When is L4D 3 due?
When is L4D 3 due?

AND

When is Portal 3 due?
When is Portal 3 due?
When is Portal 3 due?
When is Portal 3 due?
When is Portal 3 due?
When is Portal 3 due?
When is Portal 3 due?
When is Portal 3 due?
When is Portal 3 due?
When is Portal 3 due?
When is Portal 3 due?
When is Portal 3 due?
When is Portal 3 due?
When is Portal 3 due?
When is Portal 3 due?
When is Portal 3 due?
When is Portal 3 due?
When is Portal 3 due?
When is Portal 3 due?

All I care about :p

Associate
I thought he did answer HL3 years ago when he stated that Valve will not be working on any more single player games. As far as i'm concerned the half life series ended at episode 2. There is no reason for them to make this game. Maybe they could make a graphic novel or a movie for those who want closure on what happened after ep2, but I agree with the above that Valve should focus on making Steam a better platform.

Last edited:
Soldato
why does everyone go abe crazy about him ?

hl not interested in.some people worship him like jesus lol.

I think he's more like a meme at this point, almost a character not a real person. As others have said above I would like to see him get a few real questions like about the awful refund policy or unfinished games being released on the store.

Soldato

Indeed, say a half life game will be worked or on say it CLEARLY that you are no longer going to make a half life game. None of this "lets pretend half life has not existed for a decade".

Heck why not give the franchise to someone else, as it seem Valve only care for DOTA2/CS:GO skins, steam and TF2 hats.

Associate
to be fair to the guy, he (and the company he heads up) created one of the best gaming series of all time and ushered in the era of digital distribution. Steam has it's problems and always had, but it was a pioneer.
Plus, Valve is such a unique place to work in.. there have been disgruntled employees, but it's so refreshing to see a place where you mostly do what you want. If people aren't interested in a project it doesn't happen.. seems right imo. Not as a consumer, but as an employee.

Soldato
why does everyone go abe crazy about him ?

hl not interested in.some people worship him like jesus lol.

I don't think anyone I've seen worships him but there is no denying the games Valve have created have not only shaped or had massive influences on certain genres but those same franchises have unfinished business.

Just about everyone I know would change in their wallet and space on their hard drive for HL3, L4D3 and Portal 3 yet Valve seem to prefer to simply not comment for some reason rather than just state whether any of them are actually in dev or not.

One of the biggest questions he needs to answer though is why the customer service of Steam is so fundamentally awful.

Back
Top Bottom