• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
For me it's definitely a driver issue, i've used the same uninstall/install SOP for the last 2 years, never had an issue, Beta drivers where fine with my clocks locked at 1050.

definitely a driver issue I'm back on 15.7.1 everythings fine now.

n.b. if anyone is thinking of using amd_cleanup_utility 14.4.0 from their site... don't. Use DDU instead. ACU managed to remove all the USB drivers completely and they're Intel, not even AMD. Didn't have any mouse or keyboard working not even in safe mode. Spent a couple of hours figuring that one out. Oh boy. Lets just say manually installing driver.inf files one by one is not my idea of fun.

Associate
Does anyone get graphical any corruption (e.g. coloured lines across the screen, coloured boxes etc ) when booting into Windows 10? I can fix it by turning GPU Scaling on then off again in the settings but it's a bit weird why I'd need to do this.

I'm using an MSI 390 which is running at normal/standard clocks. It's probably a bit of teething trouble with the drivers.

Soldato
Does anyone get graphical any corruption (e.g. coloured lines across the screen, coloured boxes etc ) when booting into Windows 10? I can fix it by turning GPU Scaling on then off again in the settings but it's a bit weird why I'd need to do this.

I'm using an MSI 390 which is running at normal/standard clocks. It's probably a bit of teething trouble with the drivers.

Yep, and graphical corruption while playing FO4 when the clocks are bouncing everywhere.

Going to uninstall and go back to betas i think.

Soldato
I had this on the leaked driver, I uninstall and reinstall the drivers from amd and now it works.

Could always try to run cnext in administrative mode and see if it helps.

I seriously do hope that people are actually reporting issues to AMD instead of just steaming at forums. It seems that a lot of problems generally relate to profiles that ain't getting saved or activated for some reason.

Tried running in admin mode, nope. Redownloaded the drivers, fully uninstalled and then installed them, overclock is still being forgotten on reboot. Strange that the power limit is remembered though. Reported it so hopefully a fix will come up soon.

Associate
Personally I have had no issues yet and everything seems a little quicker in games usually between 5 - 10 fps. But please if you have a problem then report it to the guys at AMD as it is the only way to get the issues sorted out. I am sure they will make this the best driver set available given the chance.

:)

Soldato
Personally I have had no issues yet and everything seems a little quicker in games usually between 5 - 10 fps. But please if you have a problem then report it to the guys at AMD as it is the only way to get the issues sorted out. I am sure they will make this the best driver set available given the chance.

:)

tried a few games now and the only seems contained to FO4.

Associate
tried a few games now and the only seems contained to FO4.

You actually get stuttering or what in FO4 because of clocks going o'random. I personally also have gpu clockspeeds jumping up and down, but game is still smooth. Also this jumping only happens when gpuload goes under certain percentage. In cases where more power is needed, clocks stay stable at 1100.

PS. Fury X aswell.

Soldato
Overall, like the Crimson setup but for my setup it's a massive step backwards for Eyefinity users. I prefer my setup as 3 merged screens plus an additional 1, the rest of the family prefer 4 separate screens, so I end up having to change between 3+1 and 4 frequently.

Previously with CCC I had to initially setup how I wanted my screens with Eyefinity enabled, then disable it and set my screens how I wanted them then. After that initial setup, I then simply enabled or disabled Eyefinity with a couple of mouse clicks and the screens would be how I wanted them.

With the new Crimson, I have to setup Eyefinity every single time I enable it. I realise this is only an additional 4 or 5 steps, but it's infuriating when going from a 2 mouse click process to a 9 click process. Also, each time I turn off Eyefinity, I now need to go into Windows settings and re-enable 2 of my screens, then rearrange them, then finally set which is the primary screen.

Setting and disabling Eyefinity still works, but as I said for me it's a massive step backwards in ease of use. I'm hoping I've missed something obvious and there's a shortcut, but I'm not seeing it. I did see a new option and tried setting in the game options to launch a particular game with Eyefinity, but sadly this did nothing and the game still launched in a single screen rather than activating Eyefinity and then launching the game.

Overall, like the Crimson setup, as I said, just this is annoying. :(

I'm just using Windows to configure my multiple monitors at the moment until Crimson returns to the CCC style configuration options.

Right click desktop > display settings, setup your monitors there! :) Assuming Windows 10 ofc.

I'm noticing good performance gains with these drivers on my 390X, and I like the new interface. It starts very quickly, looks good and has all the functionality needed. Sure, you need to drill down in some of the options, much better than CCC though :)

Caporegime
Afterburney 4.2.0 coming next week :)

Dear forum visitors,

I'm glad to inform you that we're finishing closed beta-testing of MSI Afterburner 4.2.0 and expect to release it on the next week. Changes list includes:

• Added AMD Fiji graphics processors family support
• Hardware abstraction layer architecture has been revamped to allow implementation of voltage control via direct access to GPU on-die voltage controllers (e.g. AMD Fiji SMC) in addition to previously supported external voltage controllers connected to GPU via I2C bus. Please take a note that direct access to AMD SMC from multiple simultaneously running hardware monitoring applications can be unsafe and result in collisions, so similar to I2C access synchronization we introduce global namespace synchronization mutex “Access_ATI_SMC” as SMC access synchronization standard. Other developers are strongly suggested to use it during accessing AMD GPU SMC in order to provide collision free hardware monitoring
• Added core voltage control for reference design AMD RADEON R9 Fury / Nano series cards with on-die SMC voltage controller
• Added unofficial overclocking support for PowerPlay7 capable graphics cards (AMD Tonga and newer graphics processors family). Please take a note that unofficial overclocking mode with completely disabled PowerPlay is currently not supported for PowerPlay7 capable hardware
• Added version detection for AMD Radeon Software Crimson edition. Please take a note that new AMD Radeon Software versioning scheme is not backward compatible so now Catalyst version can be reported improperly if you reinstall older versions of Catalyst drivers on top of AMD Radeon Software Crimson edition without cleaning the registry up. Until the issue is addressed inside AMD Radeon Software Crimson edition installer, MSI Afterburner is providing compatibility switch “LegacyDriverDetection” in the configuration file allowing you to use legacy driver version detection mechanism if you’re rolling back to legacy Catalyst drivers after AMD Radeon Software Crimson edition drivers
• GPU usage monitoring filtering algorithms, aimed to filter GPU usage monitoring artifacts in AMD ADL API on AMD Sea Islands GPU family are now disabled by default. Filtering algorithms can still be enabled by power users via configuration file if necessary
• Added core, memory and auxiliary PEXVDD voltage control for custom design MSI GTX980Ti Lightning series graphics cards with IR3595A+IR3567B voltage regulators
• Added memory and VRM temperature monitoring for custom design MSI GTX980Ti Lightning series graphics cards with NCT7511Y thermal sensors
• Now SDK includes detailed documentation for third party hardware database format, allowing experienced users to add voltage control support for custom design non-MSI graphics cards
• Temperature monitoring for AMD Family 10h – 16h micro architecture CPUs is no longer experimental. Now thermal monitoring on such CPUs is unlocked by default
• Slightly altered VRAM usage monitoring implementation for AMD and Intel graphics cards. Now total resident bytes are being displayed as VRAM usage instead of total committed bytes, and allocated blocks are no longer being rounded to 1MB boundary per block when calculating a total value
• Improved skin engine. Added support for altered USF skins obfuscation scheme used in most recent versions of third party overclocking tools
• Added Brazilian Portuguese localization
• RivaTuner Statistics Server has been upgraded to v6.4.1

RTSS v6.4.1 changes list includes the following:

• Starting desktop recording sessions with “Use dedicated encoder server” option enabled no longer results in blocking subsequent in-game recording sessions until restarting the application
• Fixed inverted state of “Low-level encoding” option in NVIDIA NVENC H.264 encoder plugin
• Improved AMD AMF VCE H.264 encoder plugin:
o Unlocked encoding in > 1080p resolutions for VCE 3.0 capable graphics cards (AMD Tonga and Fiji GPUs)
o Added option for selecting host, Direct3D9 or Direct3D11 memory type for encoder. It is recommended to leave default Direct3D9 memory type for everyday usage and select the rest types for performance testing or troubleshooting scenarios only
• Added Brazilian Portuguese localization
• Updated profiles list

Stay tuned!

Soldato
You actually get stuttering or what in FO4 because of clocks going o'random. I personally also have gpu clockspeeds jumping up and down, but game is still smooth. Also this jumping only happens when gpuload goes under certain percentage. In cases where more power is needed, clocks stay stable at 1100.

PS. Fury X aswell.

Stutter, just not an enjoyable game experience tbh, no amount of Freesync can save it, beta drivers where perfect with the clocks locked.

Soldato
I've uninstalled these Crimson drivers and gone back to whatever Windows Update downloaded, too many issues such as...
Fan speed not increasing with temperature in auto mode, causing overheating game crashes
Bouncing core clock speeds
FRTC not working reliably
I've yet to run any game/demo where Shader Cache made improvements
VSR mode removes 1920x1080 as a resolution full-stop for my native 2560x1440
etc.

Hopefully December's update will improve things.

Permabanned
I got WRC5 yesterday and that runs with the core clock locked at 1040. I bought Project cars yesterday as well but haven't tried it yet. I put a report in to AMD about the core clock issue in Stalker but if it's not fixed I'll be buying an Nvidia before Christmas and putting my Fury card on the MM. It's the one title I can't afford for them to mess with :(

Soldato
How will we know what is safe to push the cards to?

common sense really bud, 1.3v would be the limit or there about for me.

Anyone else using Fury x's tried Rainbowsix siege? It's totally unplayable for me, graphically corruption everywhere, clocks not going higher than 400, fps is stuck on 5 regardless of settings, disabling CF has no impact.

Edit- Just resinstalled the betas, constant 1050 on fallout4, as nice as the new drivers are to look at, there's still to many issues to make it an enjoy experience for me, promising though it is.

Regardless, i think i've come to the end of the line now with these cards, going to hurt putting them on the MM, but i'm just not getting on with them at all, the performance is there, but it's so sporadic, which is a shame.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom