Coffee machines, Tassimo or Nespresso?

Soldato
As above, all the machines are fundamentally the same so it really comes down to price, style and additional features. The T40 has a bigger water tank but to be honest, you're better off using fresh water every time (or at least, every day) so that's not really a huge benefit.

Could be worth watching out for a Black Friday deal this week though, Amazon is running deals each day so I wouldn't be surprised to see a Tassimo on there.

Don
You still have to boil the pod to melt it and it's still an average hot chocolate. If you don't melt the pod it's dreadful. It's the best of a bad bunch.

Add the suchard one to half a cup of hot milk and it's far better than the Milka one, but that kind of defeats the point of these. I can get a better hot chocolate from a power :(
It's even worse now, it's just powdered hot chocolate rather than concentrate :(

There's a new vanilla Costa latte out, going to give it a go.

Soldato
Just decorated the kitchen and as a reward, I want to buy a pod machine.

Seen this - http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4230027.htm

Any good, or is there better for the price?

*edit*

This one is a tenner less - http://www.johnlewis.com/tassimo-am...d=402x31381&tmad=c&tmcampid=73&kpid=231270106

this looks like a bargain.
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/nes...aeroccino3-krups-white-79-99-lakeland-2200952

i don't know about that particular machine, but we really like our nespresso one. nicer than tassimo IMHO and with a real milk frother. Apparently you can get pods for it at aldi etc but i haven't tried those yet. the nescafe ones are about 30p each

Soldato
It's even worse now, it's just powdered hot chocolate rather than concentrate :(

There's a new vanilla Costa latte out, going to give it a go.

The vanilla one is quite nice, not particularly strong in flavour though and I'm starting to suspect the Costa milk pods have less milk in them than they used to because my go-to latte mug isn't nearly as full these days.

Don
The vanilla one is quite nice, not particularly strong in flavour though and I'm starting to suspect the Costa milk pods have less milk in them than they used to because my go-to latte mug isn't nearly as full these days.
Do you clean/descale your unit every so often? That's one of the signs it's getting a bit clogged up and my Costa lattes are still about the same size they've always been - bigger than everything else.

Soldato
Yep, run the cleaning disc every few drinks and clean the nozzles/piercer unit every so often. Maybe I just got a crappy batch lately, the actual amount of milk in the disc was definitely less than usual though.

Don
The only difference as far as I'm aware is the water tank capacity, there's no reduced functionality. There's a decent range of tea, coffee, hot chocolate plus you can get special bar codes for making iced teas/coffee and also just hot water so it's a bit of a jack of all trades. Nespresso isn't compatible and you can't get refillable pods for it.

I suspect you'll be able to take the cup stand on that one (the model I have allows this) so you'll be able to get tall glasses and mugs in, but it may be worth seeing it in the flesh to be sure.

Edit: Saying that, the bigger ones come with Britta filters, personally I think they're a waste of time and have stripped mine out.

Soldato
They all do the same thing and will produce essentially the same drink, just some of them have extra features like an LCD, LED lights, water filter etc. I've got the fancy T65 and have had it for a few years now, still use it regularly.

You can get one of the lower-end machines for about £30 if you look around, my Mum recently got herself one from Amazon or Currys for that price. Have a look on HotUKDeals.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
thanks, so basically just need to make sure travel mug fits and go for cheapest.

Got any links for the refillable pods, I remember them existing but can't find them.

Caporegime
The last thing you want to get right now is a tassimo. They have utterly ruined the only good range they have, the costa stuff. It's akin to new coke. Have a look at the reviews on the tassimo website for the costa lattes and on their FB page. They are getting utterly pounded.

The chocolates have been ruined, tbh they weren't great anyway and now the lattes have too. They has been some mention on the FB page that they moved production so cannot revert back to the old ones as it's a new supplier, but they seem to be back peddaling a little on that now they are seeing the amount of people writing in.

Man of Honour
Well I want to use any coffee, so looks like I'll have to go nespresso as still can't find any refillable pods for tassimo. Just the machines are about twice the price.

Soldato
I've been using a Dolce Gusto for a couple of years which I just prefer to the Tassimo, but I've recently made the leap up to a Nespresso, which is the next step IMO, the coffee is definitely top notch, and with the Aeroccino, it makes a mean Latte!, certainly a step up from any milk 'pods'..

I ordered a Nespresso Inissia + Aeroccino to use in work , £75 on offer on Black Friday with £45 or £75 of vouchers which is a complete bargain!

I will say that the Mrs bought the KitchenAid Nespresso (On offer last month for £220 with the Aerocinno) just purely as she likes look of the overpriced junk that is KitchenAid, but then she doesn't give me grief for spending £2K on a projector when you can get projectors for £400, so I don't question things like that!

POB

POB

Soldato
Just grabbed a Nespresso machine from John Lewis.

Impressed with the espresso.

I only drink black coffee, don't enjoy any milk based drinks. So super strong and dark works great for me.

Might have trouble sleeping tonight as I tried a few :p.

I think Pact Coffee are going to be selling compatible pods soon, which will be great.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom