• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1060 OR RX 480

Soldato
Yep if Nvidia start losing sales to the rx480 it will force there hand to either bring something out that's faster or reduce prices. Either way it's a win for us as Amd will then have to react.

I think Nvidia are quite happy with the sales of the 1060 and will not shift until Amd do.

Soldato
I think Nvidia are quite happy with the sales of the 1060 and will not shift until Amd do.

Yea atm but the Rx480 is starting to look like the better buy now. The gtx1060 was the faster card which is now not the case. I always recommended the RX480 due to AMD's cards gaining performance and lasting longer. It was never an easy choice though as the 1060 did have a slight performance advantage. Now it's way easier to recommend a 480 as in 6 months it's already showing what i thought would happen in it would eventually become the better card but sooner than i thought. This may eat into the gtx1060 sales but we shall see.

Soldato

Nvidia may be quite happy, but AMD tend to support their cards a lot longer driver wise, throw in extra ram the RX 480 has and better DX12, dual card support(Crossfire) no brainer but to go for AMD IMHO.

Side Note:I'm sure AMD are quite happy with the 480 as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nvidia may be quite happy, but AMD tend to support their cards a lot longer driver wise, throw in extra ram the RX 480 has and better DX12, dual card support(Crossfire) no brainer but to go for AMD IMHO.

Side Note:I'm sure AMD are quite happy with the 480 as well.

I know I like AMD better but to be honest and if the 1060 is out selling the 480 Nvidia will not do a lot until Amd does something to hurt their profits or next gen is out.

Soldato
According to this review with newer drivers,it does not look like the GTX1060 has an advantage anymore:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...3945-gtx-1060-vs-rx-480-updated-review-5.html

Plus the ReLive drivers add a few percent to the framerates too. I would probably look at which card has the better deal on the day TBH and remember the RX480 has the Civ6 promo currently.

OTH,I have seen pretty good deals for the GTX1060 too.

I'm tired my eyes may be playing me tricks and please correct me but doesn't the 1060 absolutely cane the 480 in the benchmark you posted??????

Associate
I'm tired my eyes may be playing me tricks and please correct me but doesn't the 1060 absolutely cane the 480 in the benchmark you posted??????

Yeah, a very clear win in GTA, but only a slight win in Fallout. But these aren't the newest drivers so it could change a bit. But I doubt the 480 now overtakes the 1060 in GTA.

Associate
Yeah, a very clear win in GTA, but only a slight win in Fallout. But these aren't the newest drivers so it could change a bit. But I doubt the 480 now overtakes the 1060 in GTA.

I need to understand this fascination with GTA5 performance in those charts and only GTA 5, there are a lot of games in that benchmark and the only game where Nvidia outshines the 480 is GTA5, people stating the 1060 relevance on that one game alone as being the decider on the performance winner in that benchmark is retarded.

GTA5 is not the only game out there and lets not forget Doom performance where the 480 outshines the 1060.

Associate
I need to understand this fascination with GTA5 performance in those charts and only GTA 5, there are a lot of games in that benchmark and the only game where Nvidia outshines the 480 is GTA5, people stating the 1060 relevance on that one game alone as being the decider on the performance winner in that benchmark is retarded.

GTA5 is not the only game out there and lets not forget Doom performance where the 480 outshines the 1060.

Yeah I agree. could have course argue the other way. In that recent Hardwarecanucks vid they lumped DX12 with Vulcan for performance difference, when of course Vulcan is a huge win for AMD. I would like to see the comparisons with Doom (Vulkcan ofcourse) + GTA 5 removed.

Associate
Yeah I agree. could have course argue the other way. In that recent Hardwarecanucks vid they lumped DX12 with Vulcan for performance difference, when of course Vulcan is a huge win for AMD. I would like to see the comparisons with Doom (Vulkcan ofcourse) + GTA 5 removed.

I'm not rooting for either vendor really, just people seem to be fixated on one game and claim victory, granted it is the one game with the largest performance delta but thats the outlier, in the same context Doom can be the same and would agree be interesting to see the results without those games.

I have been waiting awhile to see a reviewer drop many of the older games and go for the more newer titles that have been released, been a damn pain seeing reviewers sticking with relatively older games and ignore new games in such a lineup.

Associate
I'm not rooting for either vendor really, just people seem to be fixated on one game and claim victory, granted it is the one game with the largest performance delta but thats the outlier, in the same context Doom can be the same and would agree be interesting to see the results without those games.

I have been waiting awhile to see a reviewer drop many of the older games and go for the more newer titles that have been released, been a damn pain seeing reviewers sticking with relatively older games and ignore new games in such a lineup.

I tend to watch YouTube comparison videos, set the search to the past month or type in a specific game title followed by 480 1060.

Soldato

Why would you not read the op? He wants it for GTA V not Doom or Tetris hence why the 1060 is being suggested.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato

This whole thread is about GTA v performance as that's what the op wants. That's your 'fascination' ;)

Soldato
Heh those Doom benchmarks are not consistent with other people's testing, nor my own experience. The 480 is way faster in Vulkan.

Soldato
Not much difference, but I suspect the RX 480 will hold it's value better when you want to sell with it's DX12 performance and 8GB Ram.

GTX 1060 only significant advantage would be VR performance.

Soldato
Nvidia for me over ati, ati cards have always caused me audio bother as they seem to insist in taking over audio duties when I want to put audio through my soundcard and to an amp, not to my monitor via my graphics card.

Back
Top Bottom