Spec me a sandybridge upgrade!

Associate
I know there are a million and one build threads, but I need a little help please.

My PC is currently doing my nut in with its annoying issues (cold and warm boot issues, constant BF4 crashes with my HD7970 etc.). I bought this PC second hand a few years ago so was not responsible for the build, other than adding a so called better GPU! I have done all I can to remedy this but the issues are so random! So, I am using this as an excuse to build a new machine :)

I do not have a budget, but I am not made of money. I will get a 1070 for the GPU as 1080 is too much for me to justify right now! I want this build for gaming and will not be using a res greater (for the time being) of more than 1440. 1080p now but will get a new monitor soon too.

I have a have decent cooler master case I will probably keep (but offer me a good suggestion anyway) and HDD/SSD's etc. Therefore, I am looking for help with:

Case (tower)
Motherboard
RAM (16 gig?)
CPU/COOLER (quiet)
GPU choice (of the 1070 options)
Maybe new PSU as I am not sure to trust this one!

cheers in advance.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
no budget in mind, just decent stuff. I don't want stuff for the sake of no budget though. So, if a 40 quid cooler does a great job then I do not want an £80 quid cooler, for example. I do like to overclock though but will only use one GPU too.

Associate
Just thought it might help that's all. I can see people having fun with this. :p

I'll let somebody else take it from here I'm not great at putting systems together. ;)

Soldato
My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £954.83
(includes shipping: £0.00)

Soldato
Is BF4 crashing on start up? The last few AMD drivers have broken mantle on BF4 so stop using it if you are.

Thought Id say in case it helps you out.

Associate
OP
Cheers for the suggestions. I have the corsair H60 cooler currently, not sure if V2 though. I am not really impressed with temps, unless mine is now dodgy. Both look good apart from that thanks.

With regards BF4, it was crashing on loading multiplayer maps, so I upgraded drivers. Then it started giving me red screen pc crash (no error message, just sold red screen after 5-10 minutes). My HD7970 matrix edition runs doom etc. just fine with no crashes etc. It is only BF4 so maybe it is drivers like you said then. Edit to say, yes I had mantle on! So I might try without mantle, ta.

I noticed this morning that my Sata settings in Bios were set to IDE and not AHCI. I remember years ago someone saying with crucial M4 it should be set to AHCI, so I have now done that.

My PC booting issues I thought might be down to some dodgy BIOS setting or my overclock, so again I reset everything to try and fix. I have not had issues this morning on cold or warm bot, but I have not dared to touch BF4 :)

If my PC remains stable again, I might get the 1070 GPU, try that. If I continue to get issues I can then get the other new bits and drop that GPU in to complete a new build then.

PC gaming eh, don't you just love it!

Soldato
Would have to go searching through the forum but did you buy that 7970 matrix platinum from here when it was on special?

Sure I remember one of the later batches of them that go sold on here cheap as it was EoL had all sorts of problems.

May have been the later 290/290x models though

Associate
OP
yeah I got the matrix from here, on a special I think yeah. It has behaved on other games though I have found.

PSU is a corsair 750TX I think.

Associate
OP
After much investigation today it would appear to be the graphics card. I have managed to drop a spare in with nothing else changed from before and I have had no issues all day since in any application. I will contact overclockers about it as I understand it is still under warranty.

New GPU at least 100 percent required now :D

Soldato
After much investigation today it would appear to be the graphics card. I have managed to drop a spare in with nothing else changed from before and I have had no issues all day since in any application. I will contact overclockers about it as I understand it is still under warranty.

New GPU at least 100 percent required now :D

Glad to hear that you have found the problem :) now an excuse to upgrade? :D

Soldato
The 7970 still in warranty? That's surprising. As for CPU coolers, imo go air with Phanteks tc14pe - absolutely top notch cooler. AIOs are pretty meh overall.

Back
Top Bottom