• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Caporegime
Out of interest as I know very little about Intel since I've last owned a C2D E6600 (iirc), how does the 2500k stack up against the FX series from AMD? Only asking as I'm trying to find a game where my CPU (8320) bottleneck my 1080. Witcher 3 it (CPU) barely gets to 70%.

What's the name of the game you're playing there Humbug? Wanna give it a go.

Also, can you recommend a CPU heavy game?

Thanks

Check the link under my signature.

Soldato
With CPU's you don't need 100% overall CPU usage for a bottleneck. It's all about the cores.

Really you want to judge it by your GPU, if you can't get it constant 99 with vsync off then you'd benefit from higher core for core performance.

Ok cool. Will give it a go later today with vsync off and see what it does. Cheers for the pointer.

Caporegime
It's also almost 4.5 years since 3770k release and yet we're still waiting for any kind of proper performance gains from intel.

3 generations later and upgrading still seems pointless.

You can get between 50-150% more horsepower by upgrading to Intel's enthusiast line, just because games don't and never have (despite AMD's now cringeworthy Bulldozer/Piledriver marketing) benefitted from heavy parallel processing doesn't mean that Intel have stagnated.

Intel have just been milking the market which is why it still makes me laugh when people spew out the "well if it wasn't for AMD prices would be higher" line, it's already happened and will remain so unless Zen is competitive. AMD going bankrupt wouldn't affect prices much at this point in time.

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I fail to see why AMD is the culprit. Without them you would be guaranteed a milking from intel which is basic economics and monopolisation. If you compare the coffers and resources intel have to throw at their products you would see how unfair said comparison is.

The only way AMD do well for any period is to get a hail mary product once in a while. If mr gamer and mainstream joe continue to buy intel processors then there's nothing you can do to swing the balance. Of course there is the slight of hand advertising and corrupt shenanigans that occasionally spill the beans on what is going on.

Soldato
See it made me go searching for news - and I guess most people are already aware of this but:
"We have been very focused on the server launch for first half of 2017. Desktop should launch before that. In terms of true volume ability, I believe it will be in the first quarter of 2017. We may ship some limited volume towards the end of the fourth quarter, based on how bring up goes and the customer readiness. Lisa Su, AMD CEO via AMD"

Read more: http://wccftech.com/amd-zen-q4-2016-limited-q1-2017-full-shipment/#ixzz4FZqhw1by

Soldato
Shipping with limited quantities indicates that it's a very good chip, as good or better than they expected. Otherwise, they would build an inventory before selling to capitalise on hype. I'm also betting that this is a performance at a price that customers will hold off upgrading for, even if they can't get one for a month or so.

I'm expecting this to be good.

Caporegime
Shipping with limited quantities indicates that it's a very good chip, as good or better than they expected. Otherwise, they would build an inventory before selling to capitalise on hype. I'm also betting that this is a performance at a price that customers will hold off upgrading for, even if they can't get one for a month or so.

I'm expecting this to be good.

I'd love to have your optimism.

I think Bulldozer was limited quantities ;). I don't think the quantity has squat to do with the end product ultimately is my point.

Soldato
I'll hopefully be upgrading to this around march next year from the intel 2600k. Hopefully I'll be getting a 8c/16t cpu that beats the 2600k on IPC and has the extra cores for good measure.

In all honesty the 2600k has done really well but it's showing it's age.. I'm not sure if its the CPU or the platform itself with both performance and lack of new features - USB type C, M.2, PCI-3 etc.. Hopefully that's all be in a nice MATX motherboard as I'm going small this time round, the age of big cases with 12+ HD bays are long gone.

Soldato
I'll hopefully be upgrading to this around march next year from the intel 2600k. Hopefully I'll be getting a 8c/16t cpu that beats the 2600k on IPC and has the extra cores for good measure.

In all honesty the 2600k has done really well but it's showing it's age.. I'm not sure if its the CPU or the platform itself with both performance and lack of new features - USB type C, M.2, PCI-3 etc.. Hopefully that's all be in a nice MATX motherboard as I'm going small this time round, the age of big cases with 12+ HD bays are long gone.

Yep, that's where Z77 and 3770k was the sweet spot, pretty much got all the current tech apart from usb-c which tbh, doesn't make much difference in a PC where you plug in stuff and leave it. By the end of the year the build will be 5 years old and it's still going strong. Tech is all about timing, just need to find a time when something groundbreaking comes out and beats everything, that's when you buy, the last few years have been rubbish so perhaps 2017 is going to be new major jump.

Soldato
Performance wise there's been no concerns, which at this point is great.

But I'd still be sceptical of expecting to be able to buy a high end AMD Zen set up this year though.

I think high-end will be a reality but I'm not expecting highest, I'm expecting more of a tradeoff situation 8 physical cores over 4, (16/8 with SMT) probably lesser overclocks slightly less power efficiency. Different feature set (PCI-E lanes!!) Very much what we have now but with the vast majority of the performance difference removed, that's actually a very attractive, multifaceted system upgrade. The APU, especially in the mobile sector, could dominate the mainstream gaming market if the efficiency is acceptable.

Soldato
A Zen APU with a 480 integrated would be a pretty sweet little setup...

480 is probably not going to happen but even something between 460 and 470 would be great, that should be equivalent of a £80-100 dedicated gpu. If it comes in a cpu that can let's say match 3770k clock for clock and comes at around £150 it will be amazing value.

Soldato
I wouldn't expect too much from the iGPU on the consumer class APUs. They'll still be heavily memory bandwidth limited.

I would anticipate there being a high end APU, which would have on-package memory, or some other solution, which will be much more impressive, but at a much higher price.

Caporegime
480 is probably not going to happen but even something between 460 and 470 would be great, that should be equivalent of a £80-100 dedicated gpu. If it comes in a cpu that can let's say match 3770k clock for clock and comes at around £150 it will be amazing value.

Unrealistic, won't happen.

We're still not at 7770 GPU levels on IGP's (Although this is in part to the IGP bandwidth bottleneck).

I don't know why APU's get hyped up soo much (Yes they're good, yes they've got a place in the market, but people pretend that they're something they're not)

Once we an Intel like IGP solution (Although from AMD) we'll see what AMD can actually do, but the 480 isn't exactly efficient, so I'm not expecting too much *yet*, at this moment in time the best APU we could hope for would come from some Intel/Nvidia collaboration (Which likely isn't happening).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom