Dell XPS 13 Range

Soldato
So did any of you get the New XPS 13? What are your thoughts?

I was told that the rose gold version will be available to order from next week. I am deciding between this and a Razer Blade Stealth. I'd prefer to have the RBS but so far Dell is winning on customer service, availability and ability to post to Channel Islands without VAT. Both seem like they have decent build quality and very similar specs. I dislike the low down camera on the XPS but the bezels on the RBS are a bit disappointing, also RBS has some customer service horror stories on their forums.

Soldato
I've had the kaby xps 13 for a few weeks now. Great laptop!

However, there are a lot of confused people around the internet regarding coil whine. The issue is actually with the realtek audio drivers and power management. I know it sounds crazy. The laptop with no drivers makes an awful noise, like an old style mechanical hard disk. It does indeed sound just like coil whine. Installing the latest realtek drivers stop this, but introduces another issue. That is whenever a sound is played through the audio card, it comes out of power management and makes a loud pop. When it enters power saving again, it makes another pop. Very annoying!!!

The fix is either:

Contact realtek and get them to email you the driver without the power management
Download a third party program which runs as a service to keep the audio card channel open

Dell issues don't stop there though.....the usb-c port is rubbish. It's not a dell thing, usb-c ports in general aren't great

Dell WD15 usb-c hub has a design flaw which can't be fixed. If you buy one, send it back for a refund quickly.
No usb-c hubs will simultaneously charge the laptop whilst displaying an image to a connected monitor and work the usb hub. This may be down to the laptop itself and the implementation of the usb-c port.

Last edited:
Associate
I briefly had a Dell XPS 15 4k. it was really light and looked gorgeous, the monitor was very appeasing to look at. Mine however would blue screen and it felt really laggy so I returned it. And £1600 is quite a lot for a laptop with no modern graphics card

Soldato
Got to say I've had no such issues with my XPS 15 4K - 32GB / 1TB SSD version!

Maybe I've been lucky but it doesn't have any of the screen flickering on lower brightness settings either and the GTX 960m is decent enough to play Civ VI at 4k without being a stuttery mess so I'm happy :D

There is the coil whine type noise but again that really doesn't bother me as it's rarely quiet enough to hear it!

Back
Top Bottom