Dell XPS 13 Range

Soldato
That's a shame, because it really is a lovely little laptop - it's even nicer to use than the HP EliteBook 820 G2 that work gave me, given that the screen is slightly bigger despite having a slightly smaller chassis. As you say, doing any kind of serious photo editing is going to be compromised by the brightness issue. For normal office applications, web browsing, watching films etc. it's really not an issue that I've noticed. I guess the UHD version is no good to you? I can't stand glossy screens, hence going for the FHD version.

Soldato
Originally I wasn't even consider the FHD model, but the battery life is insanely better and as you say the matte screen is more workable.

What also has put me off the UHD is how Windows behaves, Windows and their applications still have a way to go with scaling. On a 13incher UHD is going to be insanely small at native res.

Soldato
Caporegime
Having spent 2 years using a super glossy screened first generation XPS 13, I had an all to brief time with my new XPS 15 with the matte FHD display and I can confirm that it's worth its weight in gold! Being able to work without starting at a reflection of my own ugly mug is bliss!

Soldato
Originally I wasn't even consider the FHD model, but the battery life is insanely better and as you say the matte screen is more workable.

What also has put me off the UHD is how Windows behaves, Windows and their applications still have a way to go with scaling. On a 13incher UHD is going to be insanely small at native res.

Found this out with the laptops at work. I'm currently the only one that has the UHD display (IT testing and all) and the rest of the users have the bog standard 1080.

lovely laptops and a huge improvement over the previous version, we had nothing but trouble with them and now moved pretty much everyone to the new ones.

Soldato
I had an old XPS 13 (the L321X) with a glossy screen, and I hated it. Fortunately, being in the desktop support team, I was able to fob it off onto somebody else in short order and got an EliteBook 820 G2 instead.

Soldato
i've just picked up a xps13-l322x 2nd hand and its running very hot (core I7)
It goes over 80oC during normal use, have cleaned out the fan and reseated heatsink with fresh paste which helped but surely it shouldn't run this hot ?

Soldato
Am once again looking at the XPS 15 and just wondered if anyone (Skeeter?) had found anything different that's equally good as yet?

With the 7% off offer and 10% Quidco it would come nearer to a respectable £1576 ish!

Am highly tempted by the top spec XPS 15 to hopefully last me a good few years! Would only be used for older games so nothing too recent hence happy with the 960M 2GB chip it has.

What are delivery times like from China on these - if I ordered one today would it arrive by end of next week?

Associate
Doesn't matter what you buy, as soon as u buy it there will be a later version soon after u bought it, Murphy's Law. I nearly bought the XPS 15 but too many unreliability reports for the 13 & 15 so gave it a miss. Also, call me old fashioned but I need a DVD/BluRay burner on board which these don't have.

Art

Art

Associate
Out of curiosity, have any of you guys tried installing Linux on one of these? I'm considering getting a refurbed XPS 15 and running something like Debian on it.

Soldato
is the latest gen 13inch glossy? really need an ultraportable and want to go back to windows from OSX.
The 4K version is glossy. The 1080p version is definitely matte. I wish I'd gotten mine with 16GB, otherwise it's the best laptop I've ever had from a portability perspective. It's much nicer to use than the EliteBook 820 I have at work, although it's not as powerful - the EliteBook has an i7, 16GB and two SSDs.

Associate
The 4K version is glossy. The 1080p version is definitely matte. I wish I'd gotten mine with 16GB, otherwise it's the best laptop I've ever had from a portability perspective.

What sort of actual day to day battery life are you getting with the high res version?

Edit: Whoops, just read up and think you might have the FHD version? Same question I guess on battery life please?

Last edited:
Soldato
Dell have just reduced the range available online.

Possible sign that Kaby Lake refresh is out soon.

If they can get the 4k screen real world battery life up to the 10 hours the FHD version gives, the laptop will still remain as the best ultra portable laptop.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom