RIP Windows Phone

Associate
The 950 was the worst phone I have owned, glad I got rid now and didn't lose much on it.[/QUOTEMicrosoft are replacing the early versions with an upgraded model as there were some hardware issues. My mate just got a replacement when he took his back to the carphone warehouse due to random restarts and freezes. his new one has been faultless

I bought my 1520 in January 2014 and it was their flagship phone for nearly 2 years, which would explain the massive dip in the graph.

This has been by far my favourite phone over the years, it's a shame Microsoft aren't pushing out more regular software and hardware updates.

MW
I have a liking for the 1520. I had the 640 but just got myself a 930

Let's talk in a month or two now that Windows Phone 10 is out. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's been holding off upgrading for that reason.
I had 10 on my 640 and really liked it. first thing I done with my 930 was upgraded it to 10.

since I went from my galaxy s4 to a 640 ive never looked back. ive just bought a 930 for a better camera. my S4 couldn't get a signal in the house yet both my lumia's have a signal. my wife and son have also made the jump from a Samsung to a lumia.
I personally like the windows phone yea its lacking some apps but it does everything I want.

Caporegime
It's Microsoft's first step to replacing the PC.

With something infinitely inferiour?

Plus you still need everything else (monitor, keyboard, mouse, power supply, etc) so its not portable and still expensive. A laptop or a Surface does a much better job of replacing a PC while also being pretty much fully functional while on the move or at desks that aren't your own.

Soldato
It's Microsoft's first step to replacing the PC.

Its not meant to replace the PC. Its meant to give you a desktop like experience/productivity on a device that fits in your pocket. For increasing numbers their phone is their primary computing device, perhaps their only computing device. It has enough computing power for the most common tasks.

I don't think even MS know where it fits. Seems to me its an extension of their common desktop, universal apps concept. Its just pretty niche due the very limited number of phones supported.

I don't really like using many apps on the phone. I much prefer using a full keyboard and screen. So I can see the attraction of that. But in effect you can do the same thing with Cloud based apps. Though perhaps the integration is deeper across Windows Desktops and Mobile devices infrastructure.

Xez

Xez

Associate
I think the biggest thing for me is the lack of NFC payments and banking applications. I'm happy with the rest of the phone although the official Instagram app is/was useless and Whatsapp isn't very reliable. I have noticed that since updating to Windows 10 that my lock and home screen goes completely wappy.

My contract is up in a couple of months and I'm looking to jump ship to another platform. No phones at the moment really stand out for me though. I like my 930 mainly for the camera.

Caporegime
NFC is also lacking from a large chunk of Android phones. Whilst having a closed hardware ecosystem has its problems, it has allowed Apple to very easily create the baseline of what NFC and fingerprint reader technology use should be. You will never get that one app, one concept, one standard simplicity on Android or WP.

Soldato
Screenshot%202016-05-24%2007.01.08_zpsjcximlqu.png

Wow...

Back
Top Bottom