• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Just purchased 1080gtx, better than 980ti sli?

Associate
Just purchased an Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 AMP Extreme from ocuk as getting sick of some of the newer stuff having sli problems! Do you guys think this single card will be faster than my previous 2x msi 6g 980ti's in sli? thanks.

Sem

Sem

Soldato
really strange side grade

even a single 980 Ti overclocked isnt that much slower so no chance a single 1080 can match SLI 980 Tis

also i dont understand what SLI problems people have it either works or it doesn't

if the game is buggy with SLI then nvidia just wont enable it in the profile

if you are using NVI to force SLI profiles of stuff then you will get problems

Soldato
No not even close. 980Ti SLI when working will still be a good 40%+ faster than a single 1080.

And as stated a 980Ti overclocked is about 20-30% slower on average against an overclocked 1080.

This is coming from experience.

Soldato
This is my dilema, i have 2 980ti in sli and too many games dont have support or its not great.
I have an Acer x34 3440x1440 and need all the horse power i can get, but a single card solution seems much better.

Caporegime
I went to an FE 1080 from Ti SLi and was more than happy with the performance :)

(and like you say, no SLi problems)

I've only gone 1080 SLi anmd not Titan XP because I'#m laying a big bet that DX12 games coming up with have close to 100% utilisation (see Rise of the Tomb Raider etc)

Soldato
I went to an FE 1080 from Ti SLi and was more than happy with the performance :)

(and like you say, no SLi problems)

I've only gone 1080 SLi anmd not Titan XP because I'#m laying a big bet that DX12 games coming up with have close to 100% utilisation (see Rise of the Tomb Raider etc)

980ti SLI to 1080 SLI seems a bit of pointless change to me for x34 gaming? Negligible performance increase, and still got SLI 'issues'. 980ti SLI x34 user myself. Your money though :)

Man of Honour
also i dont understand what SLI problems people have it either works or it doesn't

Can be a myriad of potential problems - whether microstutter or you might get good average results but some areas slowdown significantly or even like ME2 where SLI worked but in some of the places where you really wanted the performance the most SLI would automatically drop out due to a post processing effect that didn't work with SLI.

Sometimes it works really well - I was quite happy with my GTX470 SLI setup overall but not really missing SLI that much at the moment - though good chance I will stick another 1070 in when the price drops to something more sane for what they are.

Associate
OP
Can be a myriad of potential problems - whether microstutter or you might get good average results but some areas slowdown significantly or even like ME2 where SLI worked but in some of the places where you really wanted the performance the most SLI would automatically drop out due to a post processing effect that didn't work with SLI.

Sometimes it works really well - I was quite happy with my GTX470 SLI setup overall but not really missing SLI that much at the moment - though good chance I will stick another 1070 in when the price drops to something more sane for what they are.

Yeah deffo, in certain games like witcher 3 and GTA V where SLI works great its brill, but in pretty much most of the others the micro stuttering, lack of sli support, bad sli scaling is just really annoying! switching to a powerful single card has solved every single problem i had before when having 2 980 ti's in sli.

Caporegime
For future info Dan, 1080 SLi with the nVidia HB bridge does feel a fair bit better than my Ti's were. I used to get v slight hitching in The Division but no longer do now so I'm happy as Larry! :)

I just have a seperate issue to solve at the moment though, but as soon as I do I'll pop a thread up with a mini review :)

I got the SLi setup (rather than a Titan XP) as I'm betting that DX12 will be pretty good scaling wise when it comes to mGPU (look at Rise of the Tomb Raider in DX12 for instance with the new patch, nigh-on 100% :cool:)

Soldato
^ Same :). Both my cards running well and a good chunk faster than 980Ti SLI. Overall I'm happy with 1080 perf although they are soon to be swapped out with TXP's for another good increase.

Just to add in order to get the best optimisation and usage/performance in games. I had to set pcie gen 3.0 and both cards at 16x/16x.

Back
Top Bottom