Twin Turbo "Black Edition"

Soldato
OP
Got a chance today to take apart the Gigabyte Twin Turbo.... Didn't look to good at the start

As you can see, with Gigabytes far superior Heatsink, the shroud bolts directly into the corners where as the Asus the shroud bolts to the card. Which is much easier, cut the sink down, mount to card, then mount shroud, then add backplate .

The Gigabyte version will require the mounts to be removed, Sink to be cut a little bit more slimmer as the blue bits on the shroud clip in and the clips stick out.
Two holes will need to be drilled on the two sides of the shroud, then these lined up and marked onto the sink, drilled and taped.
Assemble the water unit to the card, back and front, attach fan header, then move shroud over the sink and bolt in.

The perfect solution would be to drill 3 holes into the sink where the shroud Mount points are, the 4th hits the block, then counter sink holes then bolt the shroud to the sink, and sink to the card, and then the back plate.
Don't have a router to go through , and drill wouldn't be as accurate as I'd like

Soldato
OP
Its nice to see a variant of EK water blocks and stuff on this site when people do build logs so a cool project for sure.

Cheers :) it was honestly just going to be the cards hybrid cooled but Alphacool said just go all out :)

Think I'll wait for a HOF 1070 and try to Hybrid cool that with Alphacool heatsink and find a way to bracket the fans and shroud to it, but that's another story :)

Associate
Spent some time Saturday taking some Shots on my camera of some of the parts that have come in. Just awaiting on a delivery from OCUK and the 970s :)

Just snaps I took off my phone in the mean time. Love the D5-Res combo! hope the 250 version fits :D
I love the look of that pump+res combo. I currently have a alphacool loop but with a bay res but this combo literally wants me to swap out in a heartbeat.

I've seen their D5 mount + plexi top but never seen a tube-res mounted to it. How would I go about doing that?

Soldato
OP
I love the look of that pump+res combo. I currently have a alphacool loop but with a bay res but this combo literally wants me to swap out in a heartbeat.

I've seen their D5 mount + plexi top but never seen a tube-res mounted to it. How would I go about doing that?

I believe the Res Top mount **Eisbecher is different from the standard top **Eisdecke.
The kit is bought together and came prefixed. Cant think the plexi block by itself.
Its put together solid !

Soldato
OP
Bit of a poor snap on the phone but got the first block cut down and fits in the shroud
Need to cut the 4 anchor points if the shroud . then drill 4 holes in the side, mark it against the heatsink , drill and tap.
Then lastly drill the inlet and outlet.

The Asus Turbo was a lot more straight forward

Soldato
OP
Looking good though. Just the holes for the tubing to go then! Is it like me with my fencing: measure once, cut twice, swear lots?!

Got to drill m3/4 sized holes into the sides then into the heatsink so the shroud can be bolted onto it. Asus the shroud bolted to the card, with no heatsink there's nothing mount against

Soldato
OP
Camera shots completed of the card :)

placed at the top to get a feel for the connection to the rad
Might swap the 45 of the Rad for twin 45- have it bend out towards the side then down to the card and insert the spacer for the 90 bend. 45 just slightly blocks the Vortex's view

PSU- SuperFlower 650W Platinum. Tempting to swap out the fan for a Blue one

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking good. By the time you've got the PSU's fan grill, the PSU shroud and then the side window in the way, would you be able to see the difference between a white and blue fan? The connectors are going to be glowing white too.

Soldato
OP
Looking good. By the time you've got the PSU's fan grill, the PSU shroud and then the side window in the way, would you be able to see the difference between a white and blue fan? The connectors are going to be glowing white too.

I was thinking of installing top side up, since Superflower prints everything for this orientation like the Pressed Branding on the side, never seen unless the rear panel is off but meh. Also the Shroud cover has a mesh pattern so in theory, the fan could be seen. dont think I will but might have a wee look

Soldato
That's the way I thought you meant. I just wondered if you'd actually be able to see any difference through the mesh, partially obscured by the lower graphics card. If you can, fine....it would just be irritating to go to that amount of effort and then find you can't really see it!

Soldato
OP
surprisingly its quite visible :)
Curiosity might get the better of me, will have a quick look on google to see if it uses a 2 pin solution.
Would be tempting to put a Thermaltake Ring fan in their or just stick with WingBoost

Bit gutted today, was hoping to receive the SLi bridge from Alphacool but by the time they got back to me, it had been sold. No idea when the 2 slot version will be back in =( Will be using a Plexi adjustable bridge between the cards, just means the flow goes from the bottom outlet to the top cards outlet. And with the previous build, flow and temps does take a hit this way, such a restrictive block

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
More DSLR snaps and edits to replace the above phone snap and of a few parts :)

Some of the plumbing

Drain port is at the back, if I was to attach it to the pump outlet, wouldn't of been at the lowest point and I think would have made a clean curve from the pump to the GPU untidy and bulky, and not wishing to attach to GPU ports as to weigh the card down.
Case should be able to lay on its spine and be the lowest point and drain out- whilst hopefully looking clean and flowing lines.

As with all the builds i've done, Hue+ & Grid as standard. Torn as to how to do the lighting for final pics =/ I do have LEDS on order for the Res and Vortex being White, might do the CPU in blue.

Will be routing some of the Tubing, the Rad to Res will be changed with the twin 45 on the inlet port going to the right then up, aligns it up much better and should sit flush with Rad. Hoping even though this isnt Hard Line, it can just look as good.
Also thinking Twin 45 at the inlet of the RAD- might allow a smoother run from the CPU outlet to it- unsure though
Hue strips installed, one for each edge and not viable so should tone the brightness a bit until NZXT adds DIM ability to the CAM software (is planned).
I have a clear hard Sli connection for the cards (2 slot), which may fit from outlet on the bottom to inlet of the top- would match the colour flow of the blue on the cards and help with flow- or holding my breath for the GPX 2 slot SLi plexi to come back in stock from alphacool... wishing i got it when i had the chance really
Pump also turned down from highest setting (5) to 4.

Just had a thought about attaching a Hue strip to the back edge of the GPUs, you wouldnt see the strips but would add a glow behind the cards against the mobo- what do you think? As im not doing the LED in the fan housing like the ASUS cards, didnt really come out as well and dont think the blue would shine as good inside the all black casing

I wanted to have the Grid+ just above the Res so its visible, only problem is the power connectors and USB stick out quiet a bit and clash with the res holder, which is bolted to the case so cant really move it. Tried placement at the bottom but looks untidy so will have to go at the back =/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom