• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 1070 - any takers?

Soldato
I'm tempted... I wanted to go for the absolutely top tier GPU when I built my new rig over the summer, but that plan included a new monitor. Unfortunately, I'm just not feeling it for the current generation of displays; still too many compromises to be made when picking a monitor, and all for over the top prices from vendors who have **** QC.

So I'm thinking a 1070 would be pretty much perfect for me now, and I can upgrade again whenever I do decide to pull the trigger on a new display.

Associate
These are looking like they could be a really good option for 2 way SLI
due to the lower power draw, more memory, new features over a 980Ti
and theoretically a substantially lower price

Might be good for people with 4K monitors ? unless the memory bandwidth cripples it at higher resolutions

Soldato
I'm thinking I may go for one as an upgrade to my AMD 290 as it constantly runs at 94C.... Such a bad stock cooler :p

Going to make sure I wait for the 3rd party coolers and then waiting for the initial prices to drop.

Associate
I had two r9 290's and they were terrible for heat, and I hate crossfire, sold them and picked up a gtx 970 strix for free which I can't complain about.
Tempted by the 1070 or 1080, but the prices are way more than I expected.

Caporegime
Wondering if I should ditch my 390 for one of these, price dependant. Running 4K.

Or maybe two... Last time I ran SLI was with 480's, how is SLI these days..?

Last edited:
Associate
Wondering if I should ditch my 390 for one of these, price dependant. Running 4K.
I am thinking about the same , price wise. I think 980Ti and the rest of the similar cards will hold the the current price for a while. Then , some drop will happen but not that major until the new 1080Ti or similar AMD version. Forget those "special" users, who wants to sell the card under current price(like my friend: 980Ti for 225-240).
SLI is not so great. A tiny bit better than CFX. Actually, AMD drivers are coming up in quality fast. If nvidia stays on the same level of driver consideration, i would recommend AMD , which i haven't done long ago.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm glade that I held off buying a 980Ti from the second hand market now, I'm thinking a 1070 (After Founders) card will be the way to go. I cant see reason to pay the premium for a 1080 atm compared to the 1070 cost.

Associate
I'm tempted... I wanted to go for the absolutely top tier GPU when I built my new rig over the summer, but that plan included a new monitor. Unfortunately, I'm just not feeling it for the current generation of displays; still too many compromises to be made when picking a monitor, and all for over the top prices from vendors who have **** QC.

So I'm thinking a 1070 would be pretty much perfect for me now, and I can upgrade again whenever I do decide to pull the trigger on a new display.

Same here I have a new rig freshly built just waiting for a new GPU and Monitor, but I dont have faith in any of the £600+ monitors at the moment so will see what develops. I know I want 4k or ultra Wide but there are far too many quality issues with these displays at present, a 1070 would tie me over for a few months with out busting my wallet.

Soldato
I really don't know what to do.
Get a 1070 and a 1440p monitor.
or wait for the 1080Ti and get a 4K monitor.....

Get a 1070 and a 1440p monitor but make sure the monitor is Gsync and 120 or 144hz

Gaming at 4K isn't much to shout about at the moment. Coming from a person who has an 1440p and 4k monitor.

Soldato
Get a 1070 and a 1440p monitor but make sure the monitor is Gsync and 120 or 144hz

Gaming at 4K isn't much to shout about at the moment. Coming from a person who has an 1440p and 4k monitor.

Thing is, I don't play Battlefield or CS:GO (im too old lol) so don't see the benefit of going above 60fps. I've tried 120hz monitors and meh...didnt really notice a difference. I'm more a Skyrim, Cites Skyline, FSX player.

Also as for Gsync, Im really kind of against getting a monitor that ties me into buying a certain brand of GPU.

Soldato
Thing is, I don't play Battlefield or CS:GO (im too old lol) so don't see the benefit of going above 60fps. I've tried 120hz monitors and meh...didnt really notice a difference. I'm more a Skyrim, Cites Skyline, FSX player.

Also as for Gsync, Im really kind of against getting a monitor that ties me into buying a certain brand of GPU.

At this point isn't the sensible thing to do for almost anyone considering a 1070 to wait four weeks and see what AMD announce?

Soldato

Neither do I but anything below 120hz seems slow so and sluggish on general desktop mouse movement.

Associate

I'm with you mate just play skyrim and fallout 4 at my age I'm not into these fast games,as a matter of interest what sort of boost would a gtx1070 give me over my 970.

Caporegime
These are looking like they could be a really good option for 2 way SLI
due to the lower power draw, more memory, new features over a 980Ti
and theoretically a substantially lower price

Might be good for people with 4K monitors ? unless the memory bandwidth cripples it at higher resolutions

and seen as you will want blowers for sli you could probably get two of the cheapest 1070's for the price of one top end custom or FE 1080.

Soldato
If the main thing you use your PC for is gaming, consider 21:9 - it's slightly less pixels to push around than 4k and you get to be in the "kool kids" club :cool:

Seriously, I couldn't go back to "square" monitors now :D

Back
Top Bottom