**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S7/Edge Thread ****

Associate
Agree on the Samsung browser, it is clearly much faster than chrome. The fingerprint sign in I can see being handy in the longer term.

It is a nice device. I'm still not sold on Touchwiz (things like the always on display, what a crappy implementation, only works with notifications from stock apps!), I end up replacing most of it with the google equivalents and skinning it so that it's like Vanilla+. I don't think the camera can be bettered right now as an easy to use and good quality snapper. It even manages well in the dark. The sound quality from the headphones is probably at least as good as my old HTC One M8 (which I still have so its easy to compare!). Battery life probably falls a little short of my Sony Z3 though. It is easy to hit things you don't intend but I've tried to set my homescreen up (with Nova) to minimise this by having a grid of icons in the central part of the screen.

What I would like is 100% working stock ROM with a few of the better features, i.e. camera software, and maybe some of the more useful features that may not present in stock like lockscreen wallpaper etc. However, with a bit of tinkering its perfectly acceptable and pretty close to stock anyway (you can only tell its not *quite* as polished).

Soldato
^^ I've turned the Always on display off. I don't want to run the risk of AMOLED burn in.
I think that the battery life is spot on, even better than the Z3 as the S7E has a QHD 5.5" screen and the Z3 has a 1080p 5.2" screen.

I had the Z3 and it was my favourite phone but the 16gb internal memory made me get rid of the phone as I was constantly running out of memory.

The OEM skin of my choice is the latest Sense iteration as it's pretty close to Stock and nothing can touch the sound produced from the HTC 10 it was that good.

However the battery life on the HTC 10 was hit and miss, sometimes it would last the end of the day but some days it would just run out of juice with the same usage.

The one thing that has annoyed me is the mediaserver issue which went away up until today and now it's back with a vengeance. I like the S7E and Samsung have done a lot of things right with the phone. If you want a no nonsense phone that gets the job done buy a HTC 10 or if you want a phone that does everything in style get the S7E.

Soldato
Well sounds like I should give the Samsung browser a try, I ditched it and went to Chrome as soon as I got the phone, I guess that may have been a mistake. :)

Edit - not that I'm getting the draining issue, but sounds like the Samsung browser is nice.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've ditched the standard Chrome app and installed both the Dev and Beta versions. The phone isn't getting anywhere near as warm, isn't getting bogged down like it was and the battery lasted a lot longer today than it was previously.

It's all anecdotal at the moment though. Let's see how it goes over the next few days.

Soldato
Mediaserver issue is back with a vengeance despite disabling Chrome and using Samsung Browser. It's getting very annoying...will do the same with Google Play Music and see if that makes a difference.

It's such a shame that this issue is spoiling the enjoyment of this phone.

Last edited:
Associate
Mediaserver issue is back with a vengeance despite disabling Chrome and using Samsung Browser. It's getting very annoying...will do the same with Google Play Music and see if that makes a difference.

It's such a shame that this issue is spoiling the enjoyment of this phone.

That's not good. What a frustrating issue it is. Same old same old from Samsung on their Android implementation. It's just poor.

Soldato
That's not good. What a frustrating issue it is. Same old same old from Samsung on their Android implementation. It's just poor.

Agreed. Samsung initially did win me over but we shouldn't have to go through such a protracted elimination process just to use the phone.

Time for another phone then mate? :)

Possibly Mate. I need to see what options are available to me prior to jumping ship. It's just getting tiring jumping from phone to phone. :confused:

Soldato
Does the lack of Nougat update not concern you guys at all?

I'm becoming really frustrated re Android's fragmentation and I'm considering switching to iOS full time as a result.

Personally, no. I'm sure there are some nice features in Nougat but I'm completely happy with the way everything works at the moment, happy to wait however long. I've gone past the days of getting excited about an OS update, improvements just aren't major enough.

It was something I thought about when deciding whether to switch from a Nexus device, and am happy with my decision.

Soldato
Mediaserver has continued to eat battery even with Google Music disabled. I've run out of options trying to work out what it is.

Tried scouring XDA for a solution but haven't found a thing. Time to pull out my hair and be done with this phone. Even my Samsung Tab S2 doesn't have this issue so I don't know why the S7E does!

Associate
Mediaserver has continued to eat battery even with Google Music disabled. I've run out of options trying to work out what it is.

Tried scouring XDA for a solution but haven't found a thing. Time to pull out my hair and be done with this phone. Even my Samsung Tab S2 doesn't have this issue so I don't know why the S7E does!

Try removing google chrome i did this and it seems to have fixed it

Soldato
^As per a few posts previous I have already disabled Chrome and I'm using Samsung Browser. It worked for a few days but the problem is back. Thanks anyway

Last edited:
Associate
^As per a few posts previous I have already disabled Chrome and I'm using Samsung Browser. It worked for a few days but the problem is back. Thanks anyway

Sorry buddy what i did booted into recover mode then did a factory reset rebooted and diabled chrome straight away? Not sure if you did the same steps?

Soldato
Sorry buddy what i did booted into recover mode then did a factory reset rebooted and diabled chrome straight away? Not sure if you did the same steps?

No need to apologise Pal. I followed the same steps that you outlined and I'm still getting the issue.

It maybe using Side Sync since I've turned it off Mediaserver has stopped? Who knows! I'm glad that your device is working as it should!

Associate
My phone is rebooting everytime after taking a photo. The picture is never saved, I've changed storage device from SD card to phone to no avail. Any ideas anyone?

It did work when I got it last week because I have a dozen or so pictures saved and it worked no problem.

Associate

If you can be bothered... I'd try a factory reset now, and slowly re-add things back on while keeping an eye on it.

I agree though, you just shouldn't have to do this to use a phone normally.

Back
Top Bottom