• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

HardOCP compare a 2600K with a 7700K

Soldato
Heh, I love how fast the Overwatch engine is. I'm pretty confident my low-end GPU will be able to handle 1440p at 60+ fps just by turning down a couple of settings. Right now it gets 70-90 fps at 1080p somewhere between High and Ultra.

The new Pentiums with HyperThreading are amazing value too. Considering even the lowest end Sandy Bridge Celeron (G530 IIRC) can handle 1080p HEVC decoding at modest bit rates, it kinda shows how little is needed for day-to-day applications right now.

Associate

That's much more interesting.

So for some of the games I just looked at, with a 2500K a GTX 1070 was virtually no faster than a GTX 1060 - i.e. the 2500K was the bottleneck.

I still don't think it necessarily makes a compelling case for a new CPU, given that the cost of new mobo + CPU + RAM is much bigger than just a new GPU, but it does show where you can find the limitation of the CPU. My only gripe would be that 1080p is quite low these days. Push it to 1440p or 4K and I don't know whether you'd see the same CPU bottleneck.

Soldato
Rumor of a Kaby Lake refresh in late summer, similar to the Haswell refresh 'Devils Canyon'..

Def worth skip the 7700K imho, see what comes along in few months with Zen and Kaby refresh.

7790K ...

Associate
Rumor of a Kaby Lake refresh in late summer, similar to the Haswell refresh 'Devils Canyon'..

Def worth skip the 7700K imho, see what comes along in few months with Zen and Kaby refresh.

7790K ...

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but Kaby Lake is a refresh just like Devil's Canyon was. Intel were doing their Tick (new architecture such as Sandy Bridge) > Tock (Die Shrink E.G. Ivy Bridge) method, but had no end of problems doing the die shrink to Broadwell. So their new CPU line up goes Tick (Haswell) > Optimise (Devil's Canyon) > Tock (Broadwell).

Skylake was the Tick, Kabylake is the Optimise, next year comes Cannonlake which will be the Tock. Bit of a mickey take calling Kaby Lake a whole new generation when it's just a minuscule improvement over Skylake.

Caporegime
It's a bit bizarre that they didn't compare iGPU's which is half of the product, Intel have been focussed mainly on improving power efficiency and the iGPU performance (for laptops). They've been using those same power efficiency improvements to increase core count on LGA2011.

Last edited:
Soldato
Most people who buy K series CPUs don't really care about iGPUs, hell the high end boards for the 2600K didn't even have video output.
Exactly. In spirit, the K-Series chips are basically a low-end enthusiast X99-esque chip shoe-horned into a mainstream platform. In reality they are mainstream desktop versions of mobile chips which happen to include IGPs that no-one uses.

Soldato
i'm glad of the igpu on mine as i can't afford a graphics card yet. But I'm probably the exception rather than the rule.

However it will become redundant soon...

Soldato
Got a 2600k in my rig that I haven't had overclocked for a few years, since I lost the bios profile and lost interest in PCs a bit. Back in the zone now but concerned that overclocking my 2600k might bork my motherboard - the setup is 5.5 years old. If if I break it, I'll have to replace it and then I won't be able to sell the parts. So, not sure what to do. Maybe it's not worth it.

Caporegime
Got a 2600k in my rig that I haven't had overclocked for a few years, since I lost the bios profile and lost interest in PCs a bit. Back in the zone now but concerned that overclocking my 2600k might bork my motherboard - the setup is 5.5 years old. If if I break it, I'll have to replace it and then I won't be able to sell the parts. So, not sure what to do. Maybe it's not worth it.

Upping the multiplier and adding a bit more Vcore isn't going to kill your mobo.

Soldato
Good, sounds a plan then. Just wasn't sure of the risk on something so old! Back in the old days I'd only ever keep a board a year or so at max. Hopefully the CPU will be OK also.

Soldato
Honestly I find what they done pointless. What I want to know is out the box in two machines if I had brought a new motherboard & CPU from having a 2600k if I could then game at higher 1080 settings or get onto going to 1440 if the 2600k was struggling before.

By doing what they have all they have done is remove what the chip may improve on in regards to architecture and talking to the other components.

They should also have done tests with no overclock and the highest stable overclock they could get with the same AIO cooler for both. It would show what/if any gains were netted from each other and if one being OC'ed increases performance further than the other.

With that people saying just OC a 2600k and don't worry about the 7700k is missing that anyone who was putting an OC on the 2600k could do the same with the 7700k and still gain further. Especially in certain games/applications and this is what should have been tested.

It is rushed and pointless in my opinion to have written that out especially after a reader kindly donated the parts required.

Soldato
I would say one thing about newer CPUs for Gaming anyway: comparing my 6700K (@4.6) to my 2600k (@4.6) the increase in FPS was negligible – I think in most games I benched it was actually the same! Maybe a few FPS higher but basically similar Average FPS, five years later, which was very disappointing. Until I played the games. Actually playing the game, the difference is night and day in games like Deus Ex-MD and Hitman because all stuttering is now gone. I was blaming my poor old Fury for just not having enough grunt on my 2600K system but when I moved the card to my 6700K system (in sig) it is so much smoother I would have sworn FPS must be about 50% higher if I hadn’t been measuring them. Now I can see I don’t need a gpu upgrade at all, which is handy considering there’s nothing worth buying.

I have found that AMD drivers do get faster in games over time so it is possible that the drivers and dev patches are responsible for some of the improvement alright but it was still stuttering on the 2600K at Christmas and playing Hitman last night on the 6700K it is so beautiful and smooth compared to previously that I am genuinely very surprised. I had to stop playing it on my 2600K system as the game felt broken due to the stuttering. I had stopped playing it to wait until I’d upgraded gpu to finish the game as the occasional stuttering ruined the experience. Average FPS were fine but stuttering destroys the immersion for me. I can see now that it is not all down to the gpu and average FPS can be misleading – my average FPS on my 2600K are fine but when it does stutter, the whole spell is broken.

And just to be clear, I am not talking about a minor difference here, the difference is so significant that nobody with eyes could fail to notice it. It feels like getting a much faster gpu – but it’s the same card! Night and day.

Hitman’s so good I haven’t checked other games yet but I want to check GTA V next as it also had the occasional stutter on the 2600K.

Back
Top Bottom