• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Associate
zen1.jpg
:D:D:D

Soldato
Don't know what people's current expectations are for Zen's availability but this suggests that any 2016 launch is going to be a paper one and that general availability will be early 2017.

http://techfrag.com/2016/06/22/amd-zen-chipset-price-issues/

Note in the above, I actually don't care the slightest about an extra pound or two on the cost of a AM4 motherboard - pass it on to me the end customer if you like, wont affect what I buy. But within the article it seems to assume 2017 release which is a shame.

Caporegime
Don't know what people's current expectations are for Zen's availability but this suggests that any 2016 launch is going to be a paper one and that general availability will be early 2017.

http://techfrag.com/2016/06/22/amd-zen-chipset-price-issues/

Note in the above, I actually don't care the slightest about an extra pound or two on the cost of a AM4 motherboard - pass it on to me the end customer if you like, wont affect what I buy. But within the article it seems to assume 2017 release which is a shame.

ASMedia was given the RnD for the AMD Zen Chipset and it seems that they are responsible for the design issues. The design issues in the AMD Zen Chipset will cost motherboard makers $2-5. The issue is with the USB 3.1, data transfer speed drops significantly with increase in circuit distance.

Motherboard makers will have to work their way around this problem by installing an independent USB 3.1 IC. ASMedia has denied any such design flaw stating that this is nothing more than a rumor. The AMD Zen chipset will be in production by the end of the year and will go on sale in 2017.
My Asus Sabertooth 990FX had and independent USB3 IC, it was a bit finiky so thats a worry.

I think it was always going to be 2017, the question is which quarter, it should be Q1 not wistanding any real delays.

I'm looking forward to the possiblilty of a 6 Core 12 thread CPU if the IPC and clock rates are the same or beter than Haswell and at a cost effective price.

I don't really mind waiting another ~year, my current Motherboard and CPU are only about 6 months old and serving me ok, tho i do need more cores and threads and Intels cache pool is pathetic, it does not do heavy multitasking anything like as good as the Vishera did, its a real hindrance for me.

I'm ready to go back to AMD as long as the IPC is there.

Last edited:
Soldato
My Asus Sabertooth 990FX had and independent USB3 IC, it was a bit finiky so thats a worry.

I have the same motherboard. I think I vaguely recall having an issue with the USB 3.1 ports once, but I don't recall exactly what. My problem with it has been RAID which is not working well and which I think, but cannot prove, is a hardware issue. I've wanted to replace the board for some time but keep holding off because I want to upgrade the processor and ideally would like to get Zen.

I think it was always going to be 2017, the question is which quarter, it should be Q1 not wistanding any real delays.

I know it was down for 2017 at one point, but then I kept hearing rumours of October 2016 and grew hopeful. They sounded pretty confident in the article about 2017, though. :(

I'm looking forward to the possiblilty of a 6 Core 12 thread CPU if the IPC and clock rates are the same or beter than Haswell and at a cost effective price.

I don't really mind waiting another ~year, my current Motherboard and CPU are only about 6 months old and serving me ok, tho i do need more cores and threads and Intels cache pool is pathetic, it does not do heavy multitasking anything like as good as the Vishera did, its a real hindrance for me.

I'm ready to go back to AMD as long as the IPC is there.

I think it will be. But I'm about ready to go Intel due to how long I'll have to wait. :(

Associate
Depends on...CES is very PR interesting because in the same time Zen vs Kaby Lake (both CES propably) Remember Phenom II launch? The chips were ready around the November, but official date of launch was CES and January. I thin, we will se the same strategy, but I belive, some performance leaks could be in November/December.

Caporegime
Depends on...CES is very PR interesting because in the same time Zen vs Kaby Lake (both CES propably) Remember Phenom II launch? The chips were ready around the November, but official date of launch was CES and January. I thin, we will se the same strategy, but I belive, some performance leaks could be in November/December.

We're approaching the 4th birthday of the FX8350.
It's frankly not good enough to not release a new product in that time frame.
The sooner AMD release a competitive product the better.

Soldato
Delaying these new AMD products for some arbitrary date makes no sense, we've been gasping for 'em for years.

They did the same thing with Polaris, had it ready and faffed around for months trying to be all machiavelli. NV ended up leapfrogging them and stealing their thunder and Brexit now means their bang for buck hype got blown out too. JUST GET IT OUT. Reminds me of that arrogance 3D Realms had, smugly saying "when it's done".

Last edited:
Soldato

And my 8320 I bought for £90 is still effortlessly slicing through any game I chuck at it. Had 3 GPUs upgrades in that time but never saw need to upgrade the 8320 as I've never once experienced a slowdown that couldn't be attributed (and eventually fixed) to a lack of GPU power. Not once.

But yea, I get your point. Have to keep the 'benchmark' crowd happy and keep the release train rolling.

When I sell the 8320 eventually, I'll get my money back with interest.

Say what you want, but it was a great little chip. Looking forward to Zen.

Soldato

:rolleyes:

They have had plenty of new products in that and the latest Excavator APU's are excellent chips for gamers (AMD should have pushed the marketing on this a lot harder IMO).

However if your expecting miracles if you expect AMD to design a whole CPU from the ground up in less then 4 years.

If you want to complain about something you should have take a pop at AMD for their antiquated chipsets. Just about everything Intel users take for granted requires 3rd party support on AMD boards.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
:rolleyes:

They have had plenty of new products in that and the latest Excavator APU's are excellent chips for gamers (AMD should have pushed the marketing on this a lot harder IMO).

However if your expecting miracles if you expect AMD to design a whole CPU from the ground up in less then 4 years.

If you want to complain about something you should have take a pop at AMD for their antiquated chipsets. Just about everything Intel users take for granted requires 3rd party support on AMD boards.

Same old same old. You get used to the serial whiners, yet when you call them out they suddenly claim to have or 'used' AMD hardware playing the im on the fence but really pretend I am not an intel fanboy card.

As regulus posted above, I have the 8320 got for around the same price a few years back when I was made redundant. Built a decent budget rig and it has gamed really well - perhaps not having a fancy expesive monitor to push the GPU harder may have eeked out the weaknesses but as drivers have ironed out poor programming or new API's being used the lifespan just keeps ticking over nicely.

I would rather AMD did not copy intels 10% improvement plan for another £££ every cycle and made substantial leaps each time, like 25%. :cool:

Soldato
Are people really trying to insinuate it's healthy for AMD to have not released an actual successor to the FX83 yet?

Nope, not saying that at all. Perception is pretty much everything in this business. What's the first thing people do when upgrading their CPU/GPU? They run endless benchmarks. Speaking as someone who's literally never run a CPU benchmark (OK, I dabbled in Super Pi years ago) I have nothing else to go by other than what I actually use it for; gaming. The 8320 still runs perfect. Even a recent clock to 4.6ghz saw LITERALLY no extra FPS or noticeable smoothness. I'm at a rock solid 60fps on my 1080 on a SuperWide. Witcher 3 is below 60FPS on Ultra but that's it.

So why on Earth upgrade or keep releasing when there's no noticeable benefits apart from benchmarks? Believe me, it'll be nothing to me to upgrade to Intel's latest and greatest. I had a go on a system with a 6850k (iirc) recently and so NO difference to gameplay. Zero. I can't go higher than 60fps on my monitor anyway so how on earth is a brand new Intel going to help when I'm already playing at maximum? Most average gamers would be on 60hz monitors. Maybe there's a difference between Intel and AMD at 100+ frames? I don't know.

So without trying to be argumentative, what exactly would AMD be releasing for? Pretty much only the 'benchmark' crowd as I mentioned before. People that don't care about that stuff won't see a difference anyway if they only use their systems for gaming.

But yes, at the moment I'd say they're losing the perception competition. Most mature gamers just don't care as it's only whiners that'll moan the loudest about those matters. And they're pretty much ignored by reflex.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom