Fuji X Series

Caporegime
I understand where you are coming from but...

- An ISO dial
Can use custom dial wheel on either back or front

- 1/8000 shutter speed
I've never needed to shoot up to 4000 let alone 8000, and there is still the electronic shutter

- A 3-axis tilting screen
Never had, so wouldn't miss it. I find 2-axis on X-T1 just fine

- 2 SD card slots -
Yes would be nice if I was a wedding tog etc lived with only 1 on the X-T1 so far without wishing for a second

- EVF with greater magnification and a significantly higher refresh rate
This may be an advantage for wildlife and sports but, I got on fine with the X-T1 on Safari, so the X-T2 is still an upgrade over the X-T1

- A bigger buffer
For the difference in price and not really shooting sports, not a big deal

- An optional battery grip
Yes I will miss the extra battery but, for the extra £700+ I'll just carry more spare batteries

The focus point joystick would have been useful though..

I just think for the price difference I can buy a 56mm 1.2 instead and still have the same image quality etc as the X-T2

All that is fine, but it doesn't change the fact that the XT-2 does have a lot more additional features than you originally made out in your rather vague initial post... you just have no need for them which is fine and down to your own needs and budget, in which case the X-T2 should do the job fine. And yeab, how could I forget the focus joystick. :)

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
All that is fine, but it doesn't change the fact that the XT-2 does have a lot more additional features than you originally made out in your rather vague initial post... you just have no need for them which is fine and down to your own needs and budget, in which case the X-T2 should do the job fine. And yeab, how could I forget the focus joystick. :)

Ok you got me there it was quite vague but, didn't have time to go in and justify my decision on every single detail, I guess the main to me is weather sealing, I see the smaller body of the X-T20 as a plus though as I travel a lot.

It's not down to budget, I can afford the X-T2 but, for all the extra features over the X-T20 to ME I'm just not sure they are worth it!

I'm comparing the X-T20 to the X-T1 not the X-T2 if that makes sense.

Caporegime
Ok you got me there it was quite vague but, didn't have time to go in and justify my decision on every single detail, I guess the main to me is weather sealing, I see the smaller body of the X-T20 as a plus though as I travel a lot.

It's not down to budget, I can afford the X-T2 but, for all the extra features over the X-T20 to ME I'm just not sure they are worth it!

I'm comparing the X-T20 to the X-T1 not the X-T2 if that makes sense.

I understand what you are getting at, but if budget is not a concern, and weather sealing is, then along with all of the other benefits the X-T2 is imo the obvious choice.

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Does the XT20 have the same auto focus system and capability as the XT2?

Kind of... Up to 8fps with mechanical shutter and 14fps with electronics shutter, X-T2's buffer is slightly better and EVF refresh rate too but, you do need the extended grip!

Looking forward to the first sports/wildlife review

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
325 vs 91 point AF system.

The X-T2 and X-T20 have the same focus system, if you look Fuji's specification they are the same, both listing 91 areas...

X-T2
http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_t2/specifications/

X-T20
http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_t20/specifications/

Fuji's press release also stated the following...

"The FUJIFILM X-T20 has an expanded number of focusing points, up from 49 in the previous model to 91 (up to 325 points)."

And DP's review which goes through comparing the X-T20 with the X-T2 doesn't mention the focus system being any different under both sections 'What don't you get?' and 'Other differences' and under 'AF system (inc customization)' it states the following...

https://www.dpreview.com/news/2109589229/feisty-upstart-hands-on-with-the-fujifilm-x-t20

AF system (inc customization)
The X-T20 gains its autofocus system wholesale from the X-T2, not only providing direct access to up to 325 selectable AF points (up from the X-T10's 49), but also gaining the sophisticated continuous AF fine-tuning. The development of this system for the X-T2 helped that camera offer hugely improved C-AF and tracking results when paired with fast-focusing lenses.

The X-T20 doesn't offer a customizable C-AF preset (option 6 in X-T2's menu, shown above), to allow fine-tuning of the system's behavior, so you need to choose between the 5 available presets.

Caporegime
The X-T2 and X-T20 have the same focus system, if you look Fuji's specification they are the same, both listing 91 areas...

X-T2
http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_t2/specifications/

X-T20
http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_t20/specifications/

Fuji's press release also stated the following...

"The FUJIFILM X-T20 has an expanded number of focusing points, up from 49 in the previous model to 91 (up to 325 points)."

And DP's review which goes through comparing the X-T20 with the X-T2 doesn't mention the focus system being any different under both sections 'What don't you get?' and 'Other differences' and under 'AF system (inc customization)' it states the following...

https://www.dpreview.com/news/2109589229/feisty-upstart-hands-on-with-the-fujifilm-x-t20

Faie enough, I didn't look too deeply into it I just saw the X-T2 specifically stated in one blurb as 325 points, and the XT-20 as 91 points. It seems like a great mid-range camera for those that can't/don't want to stretch to an X-T2.

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Faie enough, I didn't look too deeply into it I just saw the X-T2 specifically stated in one blurb as 325 points, and the XT-20 as 91 points. It seems like a great mid-range camera for those that can't/don't want to stretch to an X-T2.

As you've prob guessed by now, I've done quite a bit of research into both cameras :p

I'm still leaning towards the X-T20 but not 100% sure, need some more real world reviews to come out first

Soldato
Changing the subject. I'm off to travel round Cuba in 1.5 weeks. Having just purchased my X-T10 (couldn't wait for the X-T20!) with 35/f2.. lovely lightweight combo. Now getting supremely tempted to rent a wide-angle. The more pics of Cuba I see, the more I think I'll need something for those glorious landscapes.

What do you reckon? Trying to make sense of the lensesforhire insurance set-up. They don't word it in a very straightforward way. Am I right in thinking if I lose it/damage it, it'll be covered by their insurance which means I'd be liable for the £150 excess? :confused:

Also, 10-24mm f/4 or a prime.. :o

Caporegime
Changing the subject. I'm off to travel round Cuba in 1.5 weeks. Having just purchased my X-T10 (couldn't wait for the X-T20!) with 35/f2.. lovely lightweight combo. Now getting supremely tempted to rent a wide-angle. The more pics of Cuba I see, the more I think I'll need something for those glorious landscapes.

What do you reckon? Trying to make sense of the lensesforhire insurance set-up. They don't word it in a very straightforward way. Am I right in thinking if I lose it/damage it, it'll be covered by their insurance which means I'd be liable for the £150 excess? :confused:

Also, 10-24mm f/4 or a prime.. :o
How much did you pay for the X-T10?

I would get an 18-55 cheap off of ebay as a do it all travel lens.

Soldato
£449 body only, £349 for the 35mm. Total £700 after cashback which in the end was pretty much the same as the kit. Getting a cheap 18-55 (they're not that cheap!) seems like a backwards step seen as I opted for the 35mm over the kit :) It must be cheaper now the XT20 is out but I couldn't risk not having it before I go away.

Quite tempted to buy the 10-24 from Wex then just return it when I get back but the girlfriend doesn't "agree" with that :o:p

olv

olv

Soldato
When I wanted a cheap wide angle for my XT10 for a trip to California last year I bought a cheap, second hand Samyang 12mm f/2 from Wex for £143. I've been so impressed with it, I've used it a lot and manual focussing is a piece of cake. You can usually get them for ~£200 on eBay, or check the usual second hand places. The 16-50mm is really not bad either, I've got 20" prints from that framed on my wall.

Soldato
Well, I'm sold on the Samyang but pity I can't find it second-hand anywhere :( Hmn.

By the way, another question which should probably be my priority. I've updated Lightroom and Camera RAW but can't import my .raf files. Any ideas? I'm at work, can't remember the LR version I'm on but I have updated...

Caporegime
£449 body only, £349 for the 35mm. Total £700 after cashback which in the end was pretty much the same as the kit. Getting a cheap 18-55 (they're not that cheap!) seems like a backwards step seen as I opted for the 35mm over the kit :) It must be cheaper now the XT20 is out but I couldn't risk not having it before I go away.

Quite tempted to buy the 10-24 from Wex then just return it when I get back but the girlfriend doesn't "agree" with that :o:p

You made a mistake imo by not getting the 18-55 for a cut price (it cost me around £100 with my X-T2), it's an amazing lens for travel, extremely sharp too. It's a kit lens in name only... in reality it's an XF lens therefore good enough for professional quality work. Focus is also extremely silent so perfect for video. Shame it doesn't have WR but that's a minor gripe. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
The kit was only £2 cheaper, hence why I opted for the prime. Back with my Nikon D50, the nifty fifty never came off it! I'm just getting tempted for a wide angle which is one lens I always wanted :o

Caporegime
The kit was only £2 cheaper, hence why I opted for the prime. Back with my Nikon D50, the nifty fifty never came off it! I'm just getting tempted for a wide angle which is one lens I always wanted :o

The 16mm is certainly the best of the primes. :)

There are rumours an 8-16mm f2.8 is due out soon though... :)

Back
Top Bottom