Fuji X Series

Associate
I'm using the Canon alongside the Fuji whilst making the decision, and for me there is a significant difference when you compare them in that way. On FF I like the 35, 50 & 85 lenses a lot. I also like those lenses (actual FF focal lengths not crop equivalent) on the Fuji (well it's 35, 56 & 90 on the Fuji, which are awesome).

Sorry for not being clear, I don't actually like 24mm on FF that much as a prime. So a 23mm on the Fuji isn't really doing it for me some of the time (I do think the Fuji 23 f1.4 is a nice lens). This is with regards to the lens characteristics, so how the out of focus areas render etc. On the crop the field of view changes to something close to a 35mm but it's still a cropped 23mm image so you still get 23mm lens characteristics. Hopefully that's a bit clearer? I just much prefer my Sigma 35mm on FF over the Fuji 23mm, I admit to shooting wide open a lot as well :)

Generally though I'm happy enough with the crop shot when viewed on its own. The 50-140 I kind of like, I just like my 70-200 mkII better. Today though the Canon gear bag was so much heavier when going to my folks for Christmas dinner than I've gotten used to with Fuji, tomorrow I'm going back with the Fuji and I know it's going to be so much lighter. This isn't going to be an easy decision for sure.

Edit: A couple of non gear considerations: working in Lightroom is much quicker with Canon despite a higher MP count. The Canon files are also easier to work with in Lightroom. I also find changing lenses much quicker with Canon, I always find the Fuji end caps "grab" the lens even though I have already loosened it ready for a quick change (my fat fingers seem to deal with larger lenses easier as well). Not massive issues, but this decision is going down to the wire! :D

Yup, I understand you .... if you really like shooting images with a shallow depth of field then APS-C will provide a slightly different rendering which can take some getting used to. As I've mentioned though, I don't care much for the very shallow depth of field look - I think it's overused, and for portraiture ( where very shallow depth of field tends to be most commonly used ) I actually prefer to shoot with a longer focal length eg. 200mm - the compression and subject isolation at those focal lengths make the debate between FF and APS-C rather moot.

Weight wise, sure is nice carrying a Fuji kit than a full-frame one. I still have my Nikon gear but it's not selected often over the Fuji. I agree with you on post-processing in Lightroom, though ... probably my main gripe with Fuji. I do find the files require a lot more care, particularly with sharpening, to avoid artifacts.

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato

So finally found 10min spare over Christmas...

I focused on the top using the smallest single focus point, the 23mm locked focus where I wanted it a lot quicker, the 35mm kept back focusing on the tree.

First we have the Fuji 23mm f2

And... Fuji 35mm f2

Last edited:
Soldato
Yup, I understand you .... if you really like shooting images with a shallow depth of field then APS-C will provide a slightly different rendering which can take some getting used to. As I've mentioned though, I don't care much for the very shallow depth of field look - I think it's overused, and for portraiture ( where very shallow depth of field tends to be most commonly used ) I actually prefer to shoot with a longer focal length eg. 200mm - the compression and subject isolation at those focal lengths make the debate between FF and APS-C rather moot.

Weight wise, sure is nice carrying a Fuji kit than a full-frame one. I still have my Nikon gear but it's not selected often over the Fuji. I agree with you on post-processing in Lightroom, though ... probably my main gripe with Fuji. I do find the files require a lot more care, particularly with sharpening, to avoid artifacts.

The main reason I shoot wide open, is because basically I am a happy snapper who captures family moments and a lot of that is indoors. So wide open gets me a higher shutter speed but also helps blur out the clutter in our house! :D I do personally like the shallow depth or field look, it's really why I have primes and the cameras I have. When I'm not shooting that I just stick the kit lens on. The vast majority of what I shoot is people centric, but do stop down when the location and subject\action need it.

Caporegime
So finally found 10min spare over Christmas...

I focused on the top using the smallest single focus point, the 23mm locked focus where I wanted it a lot quicker, the 35mm kept back focusing on the tree.

First we have the Fuji 23mm f2

And... Fuji 35mm f2

Interesting thanks for doing that! The Fuji 35mm f2 certainly seems to have smoother rendering than the 23mm f2, but I think the rendering on the 23mm f1.4 is noticeable more pleasing than both of the f2 lenses.

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Interesting thanks for doing that! The Fuji 35mm f2 certainly seems to have smoother rendering than the 23mm f2, but I think the rendering on the 23mm f1.4 is noticeable more pleasing than both of the f2 lenses.

I totally agree with you, tempted to get the 56mm f1.2 for family portrait work etc

I like the f2's as they are weather sealed though and more travel friendly than the f1.4 counter parts.

I can fit my X-T1 and both the 23 and 35 in my coat pocket :)

Caporegime
I totally agree with you, tempted to get the 56mm f1.2 for family portrait work etc

I like the f2's as they are weather sealed though and more travel friendly than the f1.4 counter parts.

I can fit my X-T1 and both the 23 and 35 in my coat pocket :)

The size is smaller I agree (though the 1.4 is hardly 'heavy'), but weather sealing, while of course a positive thing, is such an over-hyped thing for lenses. I have used non-weather sealed lenses in non-extreme conditions such as light rain, by the sea or surrounded by snow etc without any issues whatsoever. I only think it would only be a real issue in driving rain, snow or very sandy/dusty conditions.

For me, as long as there are no serious sacrifices in other areas, image quality is king and the extra stop of light also came in very handy at christmas when shooting indoors.

Last edited:

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
The size is smaller I agree (though the 1.4 is hardly 'heavy'), but weather sealing, while of course a positive thing, is such an over-hyped thing for lenses. I have used non-weather sealed lenses in non-extreme conditions such as light rain, by the sea or surrounded by snow etc without any issues whatsoever. I only think it would only be a real issue in driving rain, snow or very sandy/dusty conditions.

For me, as long as there are no serious sacrifices in other areas, image quality is king and the extra stop of light also came in very handy at christmas when shooting indoors.

Weight really isn't an issue but, size does matter as the missus keeps telling me :o

I got the 35mm f2 for when I went on Safari and didn't want to risk not having WR because of the dusty conditions and our planned trip to Victoria falls.. I'm not really a big fan of the 35mm perspective though, got the 23mm for my planned trip to Edinburgh and they've given out rain :(

Just picked up a Vanguard Vojo 25GR Shoulder Bag over half price off from Wex for £29

Soldato
Oh man this is like trying to buy one of the last Panasonic plasmas in the country after Christmas 5-6yrs ago. Can't find an X-T10 anywhere. My local camera shop is trying to get them in and are going to let me know. Jessops have one in stock in Eastbourne, lol :(

Anyway. Going to go for the X-T10 and the 35mm F2. If I can find the damn camera. Really can't see the point in buying a kit lens. The kit lens on my Nikon rarely got used since I bought my 50mm prime. Seen as the 35mm F2 sits nicely between the 18-55 range of the kit lens I really can't imagine the kit lens would ever get chosen over the prime. Seems a waste of £300 to get both.

Quick question, what extra battery to buy for it? What circular polarising filter to buy? I think I have a Hoya for my Nikon lens currently. What diameter do I need for the 35mm f2?

Caporegime
Oh man this is like trying to buy one of the last Panasonic plasmas in the country after Christmas 5-6yrs ago. Can't find an X-T10 anywhere. My local camera shop is trying to get them in and are going to let me know. Jessops have one in stock in Eastbourne, lol :(

Anyway. Going to go for the X-T10 and the 35mm F2. If I can find the damn camera. Really can't see the point in buying a kit lens. The kit lens on my Nikon rarely got used since I bought my 50mm prime. Seen as the 35mm F2 sits nicely between the 18-55 range of the kit lens I really can't imagine the kit lens would ever get chosen over the prime. Seems a waste of £300 to get both.

Quick question, what extra battery to buy for it? What circular polarising filter to buy? I think I have a Hoya for my Nikon lens currently. What diameter do I need for the 35mm f2?

The 18-55mm is a kit lens in name only, in reality it is an amazingly sharp and fast lens that far superior to the kit lenses of any other brand. If you can get it for a heavy discount then it's well worth it.

Soldato
Well the kit is £715, but buying body-only and the 35mm comes up as £718. So both lenses are essentially the same price. It's more like do I really want to spend £350ish on a zoom lens that I'll probably rarely use!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well the kit is £715, but buying body-only and the 35mm comes up as £718. So both lenses are essentially the same price. It's more like do I really want to spend £350ish on a zoom lens that I'll probably rarely use!

For that price, I agree, no. I paid £150 for the lens as part of a kit so that was definitely worth it.

You can always get the zoom off of Ebay for cheap if you want it later.

Associate
Quick question, what extra battery to buy for it?

I happily use third party NP-W126s. I had some "Patona" brand batteries that swelled after about 12 months, but they were £10 each and performed great during that time, so not complaining. Currently using "Ex-pro" brand for slightly higher cost, and have no issues at all. I reach for these just as readily as the stock batteries.

Soldato
Black ordered. I was always originally going to get silver, but thought the black looked really cool actually :D Really chuffed as they gave me 5% off the lens at checkout (don't know why!), and I remembered to check TopCashBack for an extra 3.5% back which is £26ish.

Associate
Black ordered. I was always originally going to get silver, but thought the black looked really cool actually :D Really chuffed as they gave me 5% off the lens at checkout (don't know why!), and I remembered to check TopCashBack for an extra 3.5% back which is £26ish.

Currys are offering 10% off all Fuji lenses.

Soldato
Hopefully taking the X2 up to Buxton shortly to catch any midnight celebrations above and around the town. I believe it's lit up at night so ill hopefully catch that along with the fireworks if there is any? Fingers crossed for some good pictures.

Last edited:
Soldato
I happily use third party NP-W126s. I had some "Patona" brand batteries that swelled after about 12 months, but they were £10 each and performed great during that time, so not complaining. Currently using "Ex-pro" brand for slightly higher cost, and have no issues at all. I reach for these just as readily as the stock batteries.
Interestingly, a lot of the third-party batteries on Amazon seem to be only 1,020mAh rather than the 1,260mAh of the official battery. WEX stock Ansmann and Hahnel, anyone have any experience of those brands? :confused:

My X-T10 arrived today, with my 35mm f2. Looks lush in black. Currently charging the batteries at my desk :cool:

Now, need to decide on the following accessories;
- Spare batteries (plus twin charger?)
- Polarising filter (any recommendations?)
- Wrist strap (thinking Deadcameras)

Will probably get another memory card, have a lot of 2GB cards from my Nikon which will be good backup, Mum bought me a 32GB Sandisk so I might grab another of those.

Back
Top Bottom