Three mobile - forced contract change

Soldato
So, I'm one of those people that are being forced off an older tariff as Three are money-grabbing arsehats...

Currently paying £15 p/m for 2000 minutes, 5000 txts and unlimited data.

They now want £33 p/m for unlimited everything (which is the closest to my minutes and data that they offer).

As such they can go do one, however I have no idea where to go from here.

Are there any good contracts around (either 1 month rolling or 12 month) that give me what I was originally on for around £15 a month?

Soldato
So, I'm one of those people that are being forced off an older tariff as Three are money-grabbing arsehats...

They now want £33 p/m for unlimited everything (which is the closest to my minutes and data that they offer).

Are there any good contracts around (either 1 month rolling or 12 month) that give me what I was originally on for around £15 a month?

No because they cannot afford to do it anymore. Thats why they are stopping it. You are not going to get anywhere near "unlimited data" in the true sense of the word for £15 a month.

The giff gaff £20 bundle isnt bad but the always on internet is throttled after the first 20gb i think.... most unlimited packages arent really unlimited as people often realize when its too late. Thats the only one i know of that claims to offer that many minutes txts and internet....

http://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/compare/sim_only_deals/

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'd avoid GiffGaff like the plague if you actually want to use data - I ended up cancelling my backup GG sim just before Christmas after several months of literally 56k modem like speeds even with a full signal (where swapping to an O2 sim at the same place would give me speeds in the multiple mbit/s).

Voda has a few decentish high usage plans now but they are in the £30-40+/m range - £15/m is gonna be more like 4GB or less data on most providers.

If you are a BT customer you can get 20GB data for £16/m (normally £21).

Last edited:
Caporegime
Best I found after leaving 3 was 12ppm and 3gb data.
This is ok for me

But you won't find anything much more than 3gb for 15ppm

Associate
The deal you were on was ridiculous, you couldn't have possibly expected that to continue.

I'm on a 12 month contract with unlimited data for £17.00, however I get nowhere near the minutes you get.

Also that has been lowered to 12GB now if I renew, they can't cope anymore with the increased 4G speed.

Sucks but there isn't an alternative anymore, unlimited data is over unless you pay more than double for it, which it's not worth.

Last edited:
Soldato

How much data do you use on average every month?
Rather than look for an unlimited package try to find one that is closer to your actual and you may find a deal for a similar price.

I wouldn't call 3 money grabbing, the deal they offered was priced incorrectly and always was unsustainable given the infrastructure needed to support it.

Soldato
OP
Well over 15GB a month last time I checked, so unlimited is necessary.

It hasn't suddenly cost them over double the amount to provide a worse service to me than they have been doing.

Soldato
I am on the same plan as you but I only pay £12 a month on a rolling contract but I have had nothing to say it's changing but then again I don't really use a lot of data. It was the cheapest deal at the time so I took it.

Man of Honour

It hasn't suddenly cost them over double the amount to provide a worse service to me than they have been doing.

Im quite happy at the removal of the One plan, the network seems to be substantially less congested.

My speedtest results has gone from 20/10 roughly to this

1727445990.png

Associate
After requesting my PAC code they called me a few days later with 2 offers.. unlim mins/txt with 8G data for £13 or unlim min/txts/data with 12G tethering for £20.. both 1 month contracts

Associate
After requesting my PAC code they called me a few days later with 2 offers.. unlim mins/txt with 8G data for £13 or unlim min/txts/data with 12G tethering for £20.. both 1 month contracts

I was in the same position as you - on the 1 Plan with 3, but I rarely use more than 10GB of data. Even then it's been because I've been a bit free and easy with data as I've been on an unlimited plan.

If you fancy a new phone then look at Vodafone. You can get a Sony Z5 with 11GB of data for £29.00 up front and £28.80 a month - though it is a 24 month contract...

It's only about £9 a month extra for a new phone and a decent (but not unlimited) data limit. Includes tethering too.

I've swapped over to Vodafone on the basis of that.

Last edited:
Soldato

No but surely you understand that having more subscribers puts more pressure on the network and especially when a single heavy user smacking the network for 100+ gb a month is taking up as much bandwidth on the network as potentially 25-30 normal level users.
Unfortunately what 3 have done by marketing this as unlimited and pricing it stupidly low is make it cheaper than a fixed line alternative when the infrastructure supporting it was never designed for such a purpose.

They need less users sapping bandwidth to the detriment of many others to at least try and maintain some kind of consistency of service, the only way to do it is to re-balance the pricing to make it unattractive to such users and its obviously working as its only the people that are absolutely sucking bandwidth that are whinging.

Back
Top Bottom