what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

Associate
They are very good headphones. They have an exciting tone to them, upper mids are a bit withdrawn but not as much as the 770.

650's produce more micro detail, the Denons are not good with micro detail but have a dryer sound so it may seem like the treble details stand out more but that's because they are a little elevated.

It also depends on the amp used. 650's depend on there amping more so than any other headphone I've owned. I liked the 650 with the Eddie Current tube amp better than the LCD-3's and it resolved better. If I had to pick one the more technical headphone with the best tonal balance would be the one I'd personally pick which is the 650.

Caporegime
They are very good headphones. They have an exciting tone to them, upper mids are a bit withdrawn but not as much as the 770.

650's produce more micro detail, the Denons are not good with micro detail but have a dryer sound so it may seem like the treble details stand out more but that's because they are a little elevated.

It also depends on the amp used. 650's depend on there amping more so than any other headphone I've owned. I liked the 650 with the Eddie Current tube amp better than the LCD-3's and it resolved better. If I had to pick one the more technical headphone with the best tonal balance would be the one I'd personally pick which is the 650.

I think the problem here is the oppo HA2 ...Certainly not the sound but the power ... I think it maybe underpowered for the HD 650 ... I have to have the gain up high and the volume nearly to the max to drive them ... The Denons I have on normal gain and about three quarters full on the volume dial ...

The E9 has sold now but it wasn't anything like the oppo ha2 for sound quality ... I'm it a bit of a quandary now ...

I love being mobile so I can walk about the house in the garden take my sound to work... I just don't want a desktop amp :(

And I think I need one for the HD 650

Last edited:
Associate
You should have grabbed yourself a Geek Out 1000 for £99 and then maybe a Schiit Vali 2 for £150 that's and end game set up on a budget right there! If you wanna keep your HA-2 then sale the 650 and grab yourself some wood cups for your D2000.

Caporegime
You should have grabbed yourself a Geek Out 1000 for £99 and then maybe a Schiit Vali 2 for £150 that's and end game set up on a budget right there! If you wanna keep your HA-2 then sale the 650 and grab yourself some wood cups for your D2000.

Wouldn't that tie me to a desk ?

I love this iPhone HA2 setup... It's perfect for me ...

Wooden cups will do what for me ? Seen some on the bay ...

Soldato
So strange that people don't hear the sibliance on the HE400i. Unless the recording was exceptionally well recorded, I could hear it everywhere. Was painful at times. On songs that didn't exhibit the problem, they sounded glorious though.

This is why I love the HD650. You can crank the volume very high and the treble never becomes overbearing to my ears, but at the same time, it doesn't sound muffled or undefined either.

I also thought the HE400i sounded a little hollow compared to the HD650. Everything sounded a little thin in comparision. The HD650 has a very unique 'chunky' sound signature, something you just don't expect to hear coming from a headphone.

For those contemplating it, the Schiit Magni 2 Uber/Modi 2 Uber AMP/DAC combo sounds amazing with the HD650. Been listening for several weeks now and I think I'll settle with this setup for a long time now. The HD650 simply do not sound veiled anymore. They just sound completely sorted to my ears in all regions (except maybe ultra low bass notes).

Last edited:
Soldato
Just received the Denon D2000 and all I can say for 130 they blow chunks all over the DT770 I had for a day or two before returning them .

They are very smooth sounding and exciting !!! They work better with my Oppo HA-2

Do you think I'm mad returning the HD650 now ? I'm actually enjoying Tango in the night more on the Denons, I bought the Denons for work and the HD 650 for home and gaming but I'm not sure I can justify having both just now ...

Not sure I'm imagining it but there seems to be more detail in the D2000

Moonage Daydream for example I can here more going on in the acoustic guitar ... I'm defo loving the sound signature of these Denons !!

How are the D2000 for leakage? I know they are classed as semi open due to the gaps in their construction and people's feedback, but it's one headphone I've not been able to demo.

For £130 that's a lot of headphone for the money, nice to know it's working out better than the dt''s which I've now eq'd to get something closer to what I like, but always feel it'd be nice to take it to the next level, sadly that has to be office friendly, I've tried using hd650s once, that didn't go down too well, and I find people can't handle my wide eclectic music collection.

Soldato
So strange that people don't hear the sibliance on the HE400i. Unless the recording was exceptionally well recorded, I could hear it everywhere. Was painful at times. On songs that didn't exhibit the problem, they sounded glorious though.

This is why I love the HD650. You can crank the volume very high and the treble never becomes overbearing to my ears, but at the same time, it doesn't sound muffled or undefined either.

I also thought the HE400i sounded a little hollow compared to the HD650. Everything sounded a little thin in comparision. The HD650 has a very unique 'chunky' sound signature, something you just don't expect to hear coming from a headphone.

For those contemplating it, the Schiit Magni 2 Uber/Modi 2 Uber AMP/DAC combo sounds amazing with the HD650. Been listening for several weeks now and I think I'll settle with this setup for a long time now. The HD650 simply do not sound veiled anymore. They just sound completely sorted to my ears in all regions (except maybe ultra low bass notes).

not tried the 650's so can't compare but they do indeed sound glorious

the mods for the 650's look pretty interesting too,

Associate
I downloaded a spectrum analyser. I picked about 4 tracks and tried different headphones to see which one matches the recording.

The LCD-2 matched the recording apart from a bump in the high end that gives them a bit of shimmer and sparkle. Quite accurate but not perfect.

The K612 matched the recording almost perfect, deep bass notes, didn't exaggerate the treble at all. It did sound the roughest as it's a little unrefined but it's balance was the best.

HD650 was also very accurate, missed out a tiny bit in the low bass but actually extended pretty deep. Treble was accurate but subdued but did obviously have a bass boost. Nice accurate headphone with the best tonality.

K701 missed out in the low bass, recordings that lean to bass didn't display the bass and also showed more lower treble than the recording.

It's also worth checking if your headphone can produce the two extremes

Here's a link to check if your headphones can produce low tones http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

Spectrum analysers you can download online I use analyser pro.

Most accurate way to test how accurate your headphones are. If they can show what's in the recording without exaggerations then you have an accurate pair of headphones.

K612 Pro has always been a balanced headphone but it just sounds a bit rough around the edges. It does have a slight 2kHz peak but it's not elevated, it just stands out because everything else in in line.

Associate
Yes it's worth it IMO.

Honestly I recommend you skip the Tweaks they tighten the sound which makes them a bit too monitor like and loses the lushness that the stock models have.

Soldato
I downloaded a spectrum analyser. I picked about 4 tracks and tried different headphones to see which one matches the recording.

The LCD-2 matched the recording apart from a bump in the high end that gives them a bit of shimmer and sparkle. Quite accurate but not perfect.

The K612 matched the recording almost perfect, deep bass notes, didn't exaggerate the treble at all. It did sound the roughest as it's a little unrefined but it's balance was the best.

HD650 was also very accurate, missed out a tiny bit in the low bass but actually extended pretty deep. Treble was accurate but subdued but did obviously have a bass boost. Nice accurate headphone with the best tonality.

K701 missed out in the low bass, recordings that lean to bass didn't display the bass and also showed more lower treble than the recording.

It's also worth checking if your headphone can produce the two extremes

Here's a link to check if your headphones can produce low tones http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

Spectrum analysers you can download online I use analyser pro.

Most accurate way to test how accurate your headphones are. If they can show what's in the recording without exaggerations then you have an accurate pair of headphones.

K612 Pro has always been a balanced headphone but it just sounds a bit rough around the edges. It does have a slight 2kHz peak but it's not elevated, it just stands out because everything else in in line.

What mic did you use?

Associate
Not measuring the headphones response, that won't tell me how accurate a headphone is. I'm measuring the recording then using the headphone and my ears to see if what I'm hearing matches what's being shown in the recording.

I will say though recording accuracy doesn't determine what sounds better. There's prob more expensive ways but using your ears, you can't really get a better tool.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone tried the Shure SRH1540's?

I popped into RS today to have a quick listen to some AKG Y50's for work, which sound really good for £50.00 by the way, and the manager who is a massive headphone fan said the Shures must be listened to to be believed and told me if I took my DAC in I could try them out. This worries me as I might be tempted.

I do still suffer from a woman with selective hearing and so closed are an unfortunate must for me.

Associate
I think you'd be fine with mid to low though?

I've owned the 1540 twice. Love it's comfort and it's build. Sound signature is actually close to perfect for an all rounder, its downsides are its lack of vocal depth, rough tizzy treble that keeps them in the midfi bracket.

If you can find them for under £300 I'd say go for it.

Back
Top Bottom