New iPod Video coming soon!

Soldato
Caporegime
It's one rumour posted on one site, with 4 people linking to and referencing it.

I don't personally think it's true.

Associate
Seeing as I only bought my iPod video a few weeks ago I really can see this happening. There'll be a lot of unhappy iPod video owners if this is true.

Soldato
OP
Well they released the iPod in november was it? And from sales it seems the iPod isnt living upto their expectations. I expect this new product to come out. The difference being that its going to be a true video media player and not an mp3 player that plays videos like the one just released.

Soldato
OP
Apparently in the last quarter the new iPod 5G sales did not reach their expectations even though they were high. I'm specifically talking about the 5G

Soldato
I'm hoping the rumours are true, as this is the ipod I've really been waiting for. I can see the software clickwheel having some problems though. The 5g ipods are sweet enough, but a full video one would be great.

Soldato
i'll be buying if it appears. I would however wait for a case with a built in screen protector, as i suspect using a touch screen will mean it scratches easily.

Personally if I were apple i'd just stick with the click wheel, but put it on the back of the ipod, as lets be honest you don't need to look at it to use it, i never look at the clickwheel on my ipod, just the screen, using the clickwheel is just second nature now.

Soldato
OP
BUSH said:
Personally if I were apple i'd just stick with the click wheel, but put it on the back of the ipod, as lets be honest you don't need to look at it to use it, i never look at the clickwheel on my ipod, just the screen, using the clickwheel is just second nature now.

Yea but it would be a bit more difficult controlling it from the back. Gotta think of usability. The touch screen is the next step for them. This thing has been in production for a while and they've been working with 3rd parties to perfect the touch screen. They are even trying to patent the design through the 3rd party companies so that the competition wont be able to duplicate the touch screen for a while.

Caporegime
If it happens then it means different resolutions of videos to pick from in the store (widescreen vs fullscreen versions). Apple wouldn't introduce that sort of confusion.

Soldato
Caged said:
If it happens then it means different resolutions of videos to pick from in the store (widescreen vs fullscreen versions). Apple wouldn't introduce that sort of confusion.

Why not? It wouldn't be too much harder than downloading a widescreen desktop rather than a non-widescreen one. Perhaps they'll patch itunes to detect the newer video ipod and only allow users to download widescreen videos. I'm sure it'll play 4:3 videos fine too. It's all speculation anyway, but it does look very nice!

Soldato
asim said:
Yea but it would be a bit more difficult controlling it from the back. Gotta think of usability. The touch screen is the next step for them. This thing has been in production for a while and they've been working with 3rd parties to perfect the touch screen. They are even trying to patent the design through the 3rd party companies so that the competition wont be able to duplicate the touch screen for a while.

I find it difficult to believe that it will be more difficult to use. Just take control pads for consoles. I never look at them, yet I can control control games with controls far more difficult than the ipod ui, dead or alive 4 and madden being good examples.

I have no doubt the touch screen will work as the ui, but only if it doesn't scratch or get dirty easily, things I find difficult to belive given apples track record on scratching. If it does scratch too easily, i can just imagine the number of lawsuits/badpress/complaints heading apples way.

Also do i really want to put my hand all over the screen when watching a movie just to change the volume.

I don't see different video formats as a problem, it would be easy enough to simply get you to connect your ipod, and then only display video's in formats it supports.

Soldato
sales werent up to expectations because of the price of the damn things. How many do they expect to sell when a 30gb video (regardless of what it can do) retails for £220? not many.

I'm interested in how well they can integrate a touchscreen scroll wheel into the unit. I cant imagine it would be cost effective.

Soldato
OP
lol if i didnt have a stylus then i'd be touching the screen. a more durable screen plus a protective case is gonna mean no troubles.

We'll wait and see but I do believe they'll release it. And as james said they wont make the same mistake twice

Back
Top Bottom