• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is My X1800 XT Dying ? :(

Soldato
I got some weird looking purple blotches on things today whilst playing counter strike source, i restarted my pc and most of the writing was corrupter I.E Funny looking fonts, and there were some strange looking dots on my ABit Startup page, ive reinstalled the ATi Drivers and everything, thinking my pc would be fine, but when i run ati tool, it goes for about 1 second then this happens :(

>> http://img460.imageshack.us/img460/8821/deathofthext3xy.jpg

Is it RMA Time for my beloved card :( ?

Its a powercolor X1800 XT and ive had it for about three months.

Man of Honour
Looks most definitely like RAM. Recently added anything to your system that might draw extra power? I don't know a lot about this just trying to ask all the right questions.

Soldato
OP
Nope :(

Ive had it running fine for weeks, just done this tonight, and its a right pain in the backside because my VX922 TFT is ariving tommorow and i wanted to enjoy it :(

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
3 months is more than enouth time for the fins to be totally clogged with a thick black sludge like dust crap.
Switch off and take the card out remembering to earth yourself. Then clean the heatsink out using a hoover and a clean paintbrush.

Soldato
OP
Bah, was little or no dust in there :(

Turned pc back on and still the same problem :(

Shall i RMA The beast, and if so which is better, driving down to the shop and seeing if they can test it quickly ?

Or sending via RMSD To them ?

Soldato
OP
EDIT : I will drive down and saturday and see if i can RMA it on the spot, do i need to apply for a RMA Number before i take it ?

Or do i just take a copy of the invoice, complete with card and box :D ?

Last edited:
Soldato
That's "normal" for ATi Tool and these cards, it seems. The artifact scanner and detector doesn't work at all. The way to do it with these cards is just run 3D Mark or a game over and over until it artifacts or crashes, just like the good old days.

If it were just ATi Tool though, I'd say it was fine. But I can't explain why you would be getting issues in Counter Strike Source unless there was actually a problem.

Back
Top Bottom