• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Do I have a dodgy graphics card??

Associate
Hi folks.
Having some problems with a OcUK GeForce 7900 GS that I put in my mates son's PC. The card has been fine since Nov last year, but it has recently started showing glitches when playing 3d games.
Some examples of the faults can be found here:
http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p312/braddersofthefieldrangers/bf2/

Some of the faults are fairly subtle, whilst others are blatant with whole chunks of the screen corrupt or strange objects sticking out all over.
I've checked the temp of the card using ATI Tool and it reports a temp of 55C – so I don't think it temp related. The card hasn't been overclocked either.
Any help in explaining what this is or how to resolve would be much appreciated.
TIA

Soldato
The memory is most likely knackered.

It is possible that is overheating though, check you temps, see how hot the case is getting. Also resit the heatsink on the card if you are confident enough to do it.

Chances are you will need to RMA it though.

Associate
The card is toast. It will just continue to get worse from this point on. It seems to be the same problem that the 7900GT line had (speculations range from bad voltage regulators, bad caps, bad memory, etc.). Good luck with the RMA -- I hope you can still call yourself Happylad after trying.

I have the same card with the same problem. Bought it in Sept. and it started to die at the end of Feb. My card barely functions in 2d mode now let alone 3d.

Here's some info. for you:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kbyiers/7900gs_106686.html

Caporegime
Hi there ... I have a similar problem with my X1900 GT as you can see ... but the weird thing is it only happens with BF2 same as you not with any other game.
screen004fd5.jpg

Soldato
Unfortunately the 7900 series cards do appear to be a bit weak on the memory front. Lots of them seem to be dying. I've had 4 7900GTO's die on me and a 7900GS, none of which had ever been overclocked or messed about with in any way.

The retailer you bought it from will replace or repair it for you, as it really is a very common issue.

Caporegime
WJA96 said:
Unfortunately the 7900 series cards do appear to be a bit weak on the memory front. Lots of them seem to be dying. I've had 4 7900GTO's die on me and a 7900GS, none of which had ever been overclocked or messed about with in any way.

The retailer you bought it from will replace or repair it for you, as it really is a very common issue.

Thats some bad luck you have had there :eek:

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies – confirms my initial suspicion that the card memory is dodgy.
I'll take a look at the case temps, though the machine is kept clean and there have been no changes to the machine before these problems started.

What's annoying about this problem is that when it started I contacted Overclockers through their webnotes asking what it could be and how to resolve. They didn't offer any explanation but their response was to send me an RMA no. for the cards return.

Great I thought, they'll replace the card.
I received automated email telling me they had received the returned card. Then another that they had dispatched a replacement.

Unfortunately when the package arrived back with me they had sent the original card back to me as no fault found and charged me £31 for the privilege of sending me back an obviously duff graphics card. :mad: :mad:

I guess you can work out that I'm somewhat disappointed by this – I called Overclockers to ask them to explain the charges and why they'd sent the card back to me. The guy I spoke to would only tell me that the card had passed 3dmark test so was no fault found. He couldn't explain why they then charged my £31 and wouldn't help in any other way in finding a solution.

Associate
These sorts of graphical anomalies usually happen when a card is running hot. What are you temperatures under load?

If the card was totally wrecked then it probably wouldnt go as far as to boot the game or the OS itself.

Soldato
easyrider said:
Thats some bad luck you have had there :eek:

Not really - if you consider how much kit I buy and try. I'm into 20+ graphics cards in the last 12 months.

Thanksfully the last two 7900GTO's were swapped out by the retailer with 8800GTS' as the 7900GTO's are no longer available - yay!

Soldato
caeteez said:
These sorts of graphical anomalies usually happen when a card is running hot. What are you temperatures under load?

If the card was totally wrecked then it probably wouldnt go as far as to boot the game or the OS itself.

Mines exactly the same and temps never go above 70 which i have been informed is fine

Caporegime
Ive ran 3Dmark tests with my card (yes its an Ati) and its never failed them BUT as pic shows I get this graphics glitch in BF2 off and on still. My temp is always low at the time.

Soldato
which core are 7900's?

my G70 7800gtx (was baught on releise week of 7800's for 390 pounds :eek: )

it has never put a foot wrong has my 256mb 7800gtx.

and iv overclocked it a lot, and i mean a lot for a old GPU.
from 400/1200 stock to 570/1580 :cool:
and iv never had a artifact

Associate
IceShock said:
which core are 7900's?

my G70 7800gtx (was baught on releise week of 7800's for 390 pounds :eek: )

it has never put a foot wrong has my 256mb 7800gtx.

and iv overclocked it a lot, and i mean a lot for a old GPU.
from 400/1200 stock to 570/1580 :cool:
and iv never had a artifact

awesome o/c there :p

Associate
OP
Heed said:
The card is toast. It will just continue to get worse from this point on. It seems to be the same problem that the 7900GT line had (speculations range from bad voltage regulators, bad caps, bad memory, etc.). Good luck with the RMA -- I hope you can still call yourself Happylad after trying.

I have the same card with the same problem. Bought it in Sept. and it started to die at the end of Feb. My card barely functions in 2d mode now let alone 3d.

OC's attitude seems to have really gone downhill. I've been buying stuff from OC for a good few years - I've returned items before without problem so this situation is even more disappointing. :(
I've started a complain with my CC company – hopefully this will end in a chargeback fro the card and ridiculous testing fee.
OC are not doing themselves in favours in being so stupid about RMA's. Looking through receipts I've bought about £2.5k of kit from them over the last 3 years. I guess this is revenue that won't be repeated in future!

Associate
Heed said:

wow! what a horror story from Ocuk, i never knew they were like that

Soldato
Heed said:

Well thats reassuring.
I bought my card the same month as you and have exactly the same/worse problems then you do.
Have you been in contact with trading standards and plan to take further action ?

Associate
Heed said:

I have got nothing to say.

This story is spreading really fast now on a lot of computer forums atm.

Back
Top Bottom