• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

My ATI HD 2900 XT Experience.....

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Well this might have to be removed as this product is still under NDA until midday today. However as everyone else is posting reviews I shall post the findings I had with the early test sample I had about a month ago on 8.36 drivers.

System Specification
To begin with we started testing on an Intel based system to see how well the card managed with Intel fastest processor today, the QX6800. The system specification was the following:-
Intel QX6700 @ 3.00GHz (1333FSB)
DFI ATI RD600 Motherboard
Corsair PC2-8888 (1150MHz) CAS4 DDR2 Memory
WD Raptor 150GB 10,000rpm HDD
Creative SB Fatal1ty Sound Card
Antec P900 Case
Enermax 1000W PSU
Windows XP Pro
Windows Vista Premium
BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC 768MB GDDR3 (600MHz Core / 1800MHz Memory)
ATI Radeon HD 2900XT 512MB GDDR3 (750MHz Core / 1600MHz Memory)

Drivers
Installation with the NVIDIA card was easy under both operating systems. In testing all applications ran but Farcry had minor corruptions under both Windows XP and Vista which must be an issue with NVIDIA’s drivers. Also the Farcry benchmark programme would not run with the NVIDIA card under windows Vista. Apart from that the BFG card gave good results under Windows XP but it was noticeably slower under Windows Vista which clearly says NVIDIA still have a lot of room to make improvements on their Vista drivers.

Moving on the ATI HD 2900XT was also an easy installation under both Windows XP and Vista. All I will say is make sure that on release the cards also have the dotnet software as part of the installation too as to prevent any installation issues. Under Vista the ATI installation was very polished and superior to NVIDIA’s attempt.
Image quality was on par with NVIDIA for 2D and general windows applications. The noise levels of the card was quieter both at idle and underload, the card also ran cooler than an 8800GTX does as well, these are great points. Performance the card was every so slightly slower than the 8800GTX under windows XP, but this was less than 5%. However under Windows Vista the ATI card was quicker in both Direct3D and OpenGL application plus the card was more stable too and had no issues running my Farcry benchmarks unlike the NVIDIA card. Plus the ATI also displayed NO visual corruptions at all in Farcry wheras the NVIDIA card did.

Benchmark / Game results

NVIDIA BFG 8800 GTX OC (Overclocked) vs ATI R600 (HD 2900) at stock speeds (Overdrive ATI Speeds = 850MHz / 1800MHz)

Windows Vista

NVIDIA DOOM3 1600x1200, settings max, 8x = 57fps
ATI DOOM3 1600x1200, settings max, 8x = 68fps (71fps OC)

NVIDIA Farcry (1920x1200) = Crashes on benchmark programme
ATI Farcry (1920x1200) = Looks similar speed with better image quality and does not crash (54fps)

NVIDIA AquaMark Default Test = 154.28fps
ATI AquaMark Default Test = 155.36fps (159.54fps OC)

NVIDIA Fear 1920x1200, settings max = 33/64/140
ATI Fear 1920x1200, settings max = 22/54/108 (Possible driver issue here?)

NVIDIA 3D Mark 2005 Default test = 16,097
ATI 3D Mark 2005 Default test = 17,025 (17,457 OC)

NVIDIA 3D Mark 2006 Default test = 11,504
ATI 3D Mark 2006 Default test = 11,500 (12,504 OC)

Windows XP

NVIDIA DOOM3 1600x1200, settings max, 8x = 71fps
ATI DOOM3 1600x1200, settings max, 8x = 70fps

NVIDIA Farcry 1920x1200, 8x AF & 8x AA = 51fps
ATI Farcry 1920x1200, 8x AF & 8x AA = 55fps (ATI better IQ)

NVIDIA AquaMark Default Test = 163.43fps
ATI AquaMark Default Test = 158.37fps

NVIDIA Fear 1920x1200, settings max = 34/67/158
ATI Fear 1920x1200, Settings max = 23/57/142

NVIDIA 3D Mark 2005 Default test = 17,250
ATI 3D Mark 2005 Default test = 17,110 (17,554 OC)

NVIDIA 3D Mark 2006 Default test = 11,950
ATI 3D Mark 2006 Default test = 11,788 (12,617 OC)

As you can see from the results in brackets I overclocked the ATI card using the overdrive utility to compare against the BFG overclocked card. I ran the ATI overdrive utility which maxed out both sliders. The new clock speed were 850MHz Core and 1800MHz memory, even at these clock speeds the card still remained both cool and quiet. Now onto the results well I was very impressed as now the ATI card was pulling ahead of the NVIDIA card under Windows XP and under Windows Vista the R600 was considerably ahead of NVIDIA’s offering.
So in 3D Mark 2005, 3D Mark 2006, AquaMark, DOOM3, FarCry the ATI card won on both performance and image quality. It was only Fear where NVIDIA had quite a good lead which is no doubt due to the fact it’s a “best played on NVIDIA” game possibly or drivers?

Summary
Overall from my early testing the new ATI HD 2900XT 512MB looks like a serious contender to the GTX and GTS 640MB for gamers and benchmarkers. The only disappointing results were in the game called Fear but everything else was faster on the ATI product. The ATI card was also quieter and cooler running with fantastic overclocking potential. The product is a little more expensive than a GTS 640MB but cost considerably less than a GTX. So considering the card already has fantastic Vista drivers and far superior features to NVIDIA's offerings such as HDMI along with better video editing and DVD abilities does indeed make the HD 2900 XT worth while considering.

If your thinking of buying a new high-end card then I would suggest you don't make your decision based just on my review because my game testing is limited and as such I would recommend you check reviews done by professionals on a wider range of games before making your decision. If I was buying a graphics card and £300 was my limit then yes the HD 2900 XT would be my choice not only because its about the best performer in this price region but due to the fact it has great features, has little to no performance hit under Vista and is very overclockable. It appears most HD 2900 XT cards hit 850MHz-900MHz core and upto 2000MHz memory and beyond. However if you want the best then it does seem that the GTX does offer a performance edge on most games under Windows XP, but under Windows Vista the R600 based card is keeping pace with the 8800 GTX and for a lot less money in the programmes I tested. :)

Everybody already knows what the card looks like but here is one I took when I had the card a few weeks ago:-
atir600dx7.jpg

I know my review does not go into great detail and the game testing is rather poor but at least you now know a little more about the card. We have 200+ R600 cards in stock at this moment in time and you can buy them after midday today. :)

Man of Honour
Well thats different

Its beating the 8800GTX in your benchmarks, which we know will be reliable, but struggling to compete with the GTS in most others

That certainly looks a lot better though :)

Cheers Gibbo

Any idea on pricing yet

OcUK Staff
OP
Steedie said:
Well thats different

Its beating the 8800GTX in your benchmarks, which we know will be reliable, but struggling to compete with the GTS in most others

That certainly looks a lot better though :)

Cheers Gibbo

Any idea on pricing yet

Hi there

That was my testing a month ago. So the ATI drivers were 8.36 and the NV drivers were whatever was the latest a month ago, now remember NV have greatly improved their drivers since.

Also I ask you guys not to rely on my in-game benchmarks as I was pretty clueless with what I was doing so would advice that nobody buys a card based on my game results because I was not 100% confident of all the settings.

I advice you guys to wait until some reliable results come out from places like Anandtech etc.

One thing for sure is that OcUK is I believe the only company in the UK right now with stock and pricing will be under £300 Including VAT and you can have one in your hands tomorrow if you order from OcUK around midday today. :)

What did impress me with the R600 is how overclockable it was but the fact the fan never span fast enough to be audible, even when overclocked and under extreme gaming conditions. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
simonnance said:
looks like a lot less of a frame rate drop in Vista too.....

eg- Doom 3
Nv: 71 -> 57 FPS
ATI: 70 -> 68 FPS

:D

Hi there

Yes that is what I liked about the R600, especially as I am a VISTA user myself so Vista performance is very important to me.

I have some DX10 Crysis benchmarks here and some Call of Juarez as well which are both DX10 enabled. However I do not wish to post the results as they were carried out by ATI and as such believe they might be biased but both sets of results show the R600 beating a GTX at all resolutions and AA/AF settings. :)

Fact is if you buy an R600 or an 8800 you will be very happy as they are both superb cards and neither are a million miles apart. Just the extra features and Vista performance of the R600 will appeal to a lot of people. :)

Associate
Gibbo, any idea on pricing for the XL?

we'll be slipping off to the cinema if it's a bit to expensive instead hehe

Soldato
Gibbo said:
I have some DX10 Crysis benchmarks here and some Call of Juarez as well which are both DX10 enabled. However I do not wish to post the results as they were carried out by ATI and as such believe they might be biased but both sets of results show the R600 beating a GTX at all resolutions and AA/AF settings. :)
I'd be very interested in the crysis benchmark - not neccesarily as a comparison between ATI and nvidia, but to get a rough idea of how well it is running on current high-end hardware :)

You're right that any in-house benchmarks performed by ATI or nvidia to show off their hardware should be taken with several buckets of salt though!

Associate
yeh im interested in the price of the XL my current x800xl hasnt let me down in any of the games (albeit not at very high resolutions with all the eye candy) ive thrown at it and was really good value for money..was £220 back when i bought it so i presume it'll roughly in that region maybe a bit cheaper?

i wonder how much of an increase there will be in the number of 8800's sold in the members market :p

Last edited:
Soldato
I was hoping it would have came in about £250 inc VAT, ripoff Britain I guess. I have a 320mb 8800 on order, but since im using Vista, im considering going for this instead, even though its a good £130 more, is it worth £130 more though, thats the million dollar question.

Caporegime
Talk about polishing a turd...

Your "review" contradicts virtually every other one out there, so how are sales? ;)

You forgot to upload the ATI advert btw...

Associate
mmj_uk said:
Talk about polishing a turd...

Your "review" contradicts virtually every other one out there, so how are sales? ;)

You forgot to upload the ATI advert btw...

*grin*
you sound slightly suspicious...

Back
Top Bottom