Lottery winners right to anonymity

Soldato
Saw the Glasgow woman who won 34m in the press today, now everyone knows her name. Can those who win large amounts on the National Lottery choose to remain anonymous? If I were to win such a large amount of cash I certainly wouldn't want my name in the press!

So... who here would go public and tell their friends/family/everyone and who just keep it secret? I'd probably tell my parents and my siblings but no-one else if I won that sort of cash.

Caporegime
Wouldnt really bother me if people found out i had won the lottery, id definitely tell my family...kinda hard to keep that a secret i would imagine.

As for friends??, id probably tell them...no point in trying to hide it etc. Plus im not all that worried that someone might take advantage of me and my money...i get plenty of people trying to do that to me without me winning the lottery:p.

Soldato
I imagine so, but with that ammount of money you could simply have anyone who spoke your name executed.

Supporting winners

Winning is a life–changing experience. It can also be overwhelming – we do all we can to help winners deal with the emotional and practical consequences of a big win.

The National Lottery creates around 4 million winners a week and since launch in 1994 has created more than 1,900 millionaires. In 2005/06 alone it created 154 millionaires. A recent survey showed that most lottery winners are happier after a big win because it brings financial security, freedom of choice and can ease the normal pressures of life. We recognise that winners can need support however, so we've developed ways to help them deal with the impacts sudden good fortune can have on their lives.

Our support team helps winners think through what might happen after they've won and decide whether or not to go public:

* Anyone who wins more than £50,000 receives a winner's information pack with advice on legal and practical matters
* All winners of over £250,000 are offered advice and support from independent experts. This helps them deal with concerns like how to get independent financial and legal advice, practical advice on lifestyle changes, and press and PR support if they decide to go public.

The initial period after winning can be so overwhelming people forget what's happened to them. To help them remember we provide them with a diary to record their amazing experience.

Going public or staying anonymous

This can be a big decision for lottery winners. One of the concerns people have is begging letters. In fact, lottery winners are rarely inundated with begging letters but to put winners' minds at rest we respond to all letters on their behalf. Every winner has the right to remain anonymous and still has the option to approach Camelot at any time for advice or support related to their win.

When someone decides to go public, they have the full support of the Camelot press office team who stay in regular contact and handle all media relations. They also receive a regular magazine called Lottery Life, which provides updates on new winners as well as those who have continued to participate in publicity. They are also invited to attend winner events and gatherings, which enables them to meet other people in the same situation.

To help winners who choose to go public we put them in touch, wherever possible, with previous winners to share their experiences. Our trial mentoring scheme matches winners according to age and where they live, and helps new winners make contact with people who've been through what they're experiencing.

We started to trial this in 2005/06 and because the initial trial was so effective, we made a commitment last year to review it in order to develop it further. The feedback we received from the review was very positive; however, the review also showed that we're not able to use the scheme systematically due to the difficulties of always finding a match. In order to protect the anonymity of winners who opt for no publicity, we cannot offer them a mentor.

In 2005/06 we also committed to conduct a survey of winners who choose not to go public, to see if we could improve the services we offer them. While the survey has been designed, problems recruiting enough people to take part meant we couldn't complete it. Results from those who did participate provided no valuable information so we've decided to discontinue the survey.

Soldato
It would be good to keep it a secret. Hell, it would be good to win it.

But even if you don't give out your name, you'll no doubt end up in the paper, in picture form, holding one of those stupidly large cheques with an even stupider grin.

Soldato
ppl who win large ammounts can choose to remain anon if they wish. the reason i think a lot of people choose to make it public is to simply show off. Personaly if i ever won it big, i would tell my close family, and thats it.

Permabanned
i thought she chose to go public? god knows why, the amount of begging letters shes about to get is gonna be nuts.

I'd tell family and friends for sure but i wouldnt go public. Although with that amount the gutter press will no doubt track you down anyway.

Soldato
OP
Nothing would shame me more than appearing on the Sunday Times Rich list with 'lottery winner' next to my name. I'd simply invest it in a business that I could expand. Plenty of very profitable businesses for about £10 million that would be fun to run.

daz

daz

Soldato
I would definitely keep it anonymous; I'd mainly be afraid of being extorted by gangsters threatening to hurt members of my family etc...

Permabanned
daz said:
I would definitely keep it anonymous; I'd mainly be afraid of being extorted by gangsters threatening to hurt members of my family etc...

All they have is your name and rough location though. There's going to be quite a few people with your name in your city so what are they going to do, send threats to all of them?

Associate
If I won, which I won't since I never play, but to be honest I wouldn't tell anyone .. I've seen how people change towards others when suddenly they have something of value .. It'd better that people associate with you for the right reasons as opposed to the wrong ones
icon14.gif

daz

daz

Soldato
iCraig said:
All they have is your name and rough location though. There's going to be quite a few people with your name in your city so what are they going to do, send threats to all of them?

It's *not* that difficult to track people down.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'd try and keep it secret, even from family tbh. No one in my family needs expensive gifts, they could afford them if they wanted them anyway. Would also probably ditch my girlfriend!

I'd like to think "I wouldn't change" much, but I would. Suddenly buying a nice big house might be a bit of a give away, but its not like I care.

Soldato
Dist said:
ppl who win large ammounts can choose to remain anon if they wish. the reason i think a lot of people choose to make it public is to simply show off. Personaly if i ever won it big, i would tell my close family, and thats it.

True, but someone might notice if you start driving a Veyron to the pub :p

Man of Honour
one way it would be nice to keep it a secrete. But people are going to find out when you suddenly but a million pound house.

Then if you go public, you can get all the hangers on and have some fun ;)

Permabanned
iCraig said:
All they have is your name and rough location though. There's going to be quite a few people with your name in your city...
Not as hard as you think:

Mr Craig A Smith, WV10 0##
Mr Craig T Smith, WV10 8##
Mr Craig C Smith, WV11 1##
Mr Craig R Smith, WV11 1##
Mr Craig Smith, WV3 0##
Mr Craig A Smith, WV9 5##

One of those might be you, but I'm not claiming one of them actually is.

Permabanned
basmic said:
Not as hard as you think:

Mr Craig A Smith, WV10 0##
Mr Craig T Smith, WV10 8##
Mr Craig C Smith, WV11 1##
Mr Craig R Smith, WV11 1##
Mr Craig Smith, WV3 0##
Mr Craig A Smith, WV9 5##

One of those might be you, but I'm not claiming one of them actually is.

One of them is indeed me, but if I won and the papers said, Craig Smith of Wolverhampton. You're left with 6 possibilities.

You could go around Terminator style visiting each one but still, you won't know any different. There won't be a neon sign above my house saying "LOTTO WINNER" :p

Permabanned
iCraig said:
One of them is indeed me, but if I won and the papers said, Craig Smith of Wolverhampton. You're left with 6 possibilities.

You could go around Terminator style visiting each one but still, you won't know any different. There won't be a neon sign above my house saying "LOTTO WINNER" :p
Tell you what, give me the first four digits of your postcode and we'll save time, eh? ;):p:D

Back
Top Bottom