• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Q6600 vs E6850, clash of opinions

Associate
Hi and welcome to my thread. This is a thread similar to one I created awhile back, seeking opinions on the A64 vs C2D debate.

Basically it's the same forum, but a different guy. This person (BlooChoo) is adamant that a E6850 would be better for this person than a Q6600. I gently try to get my opinion across, and it's cruelly thwarted by the guy.

Now I come to you seeking reinforcements as I once did, although I feel this topic isn't anywhere near as heated as the last one I brought up :p

Admittedly I don't make a strong case, and make weak sweeping comments on the first page, but I make somewhat of an effort on page two.

I'm not asking you to bombard him with harsh comments or anything, just for some constructive criticism, something I'm usually not capable of because I have a really short attention span - maybe I have a strain of ADD or something.

Thread: http://forums.techguy.org/games/616792-good-gaming-spec-2.html

Caporegime
Q6600 - £173.89
E6850 - £176.24

Q6600 - 4 cores
E6850 - 2 cores

Q6600 - 2.4Ghz Overclocked -3.4-3.6Ghz
E6850 - 3Ghz Overclocked - 3.6-3.8Ghz

Q6600 - WINS, 4 cores are better than 2, difference in performace by 200mhz in real world = nothing. Plus its cheaper.

or just show him this.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2quad-q6600_8.html#sect0

Multithreaded games - Designed for multiple cores so why get a 2 cored CPU when future games will use more than 2 cores, especially when the quad core is cheaper.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Depends how long you want to keep that CPU, I got a E6850 as its only for a matter of months.

BTW. there is many threads on this topic, and 1 very long one springs to mind.

Last edited:
Permabanned
If your confident that you can clock the Quad to 3.6GHZ + then theirs no comparison.

Quad all the way.

Your crazy to buy a E6850 to be honest.

Last edited:
Permabanned
If there were 2 seperate dell machines though (so no overclocking) with these processors, wouldnt the E6850 perfom better in gaming?

Yes it would but if you look at the benchmarks, the E6850 beats the Q6600 in most games but look closely and your see that it only beats it by a few extra FPS.

The Q6600 sustains enough FPS for very playable gameplay.

As well as that, if you do any kind of encoding, video editing etc...then the Quad wins hands down.

Quad, no two ways about it.

Associate
As well as that, if you do any kind of encoding, video editing etc...then the Quad wins hands down.

Quad, no two ways about it.

I agree, but how many mainstream users who buy dell would be using their PC for encoding and video editing?

You'd also have to add a few quid on to the Q6600 for additional cooling.

Im not trying to be argumentative here, im currently deliberating between the 2 processors myself but seem to be going round in circles.

Permabanned
I agree, but how many mainstream users who buy dell would be using their PC for encoding and video editing?

You'd also have to add a few quid on to the Q6600 for additional cooling.

Im not trying to be argumentative here, im currently deliberating between the 2 processors myself but seem to be going round in circles.

Like i said though if you go for the Q6600 its not like games will be unplayable becuase its only clocked at 2.4GHz.

The diffrence is minimal. :)

Soldato

If you plan on keeping the CPU for longer than 6 months, I would go with the Q6600. If you just need something to tide you over until the 'proper' quads come out, then go with the E6850.

At least, IMO.

Permabanned
If you plan on keeping the CPU for longer than 6 months, I would go with the Q6600. If you just need something to tide you over until the 'proper' quads come out, then go with the E6850.

At least, IMO.

I dont understand, why?

Weather your keeping it for 1 month or 12 months, whats the logic behind getting a E6850?

Associate
Q6600 is far more futureproof than the dual core, it just comes down to that for me.
The E6850 might do a little better now, but it aint gonna get any better, games coming out in the next year or two that will take advantage of quad cores, when that happens the Q6600 will eat the E6850 alive.
It's a 'free' upgrade in that sense.

Associate
in programs which support 4 cores, even a stock quad beats an overclocked dual, and when the quad is overclocked too it walks all over the dual, and the ~300mhz max overclock difference between the 2 cpu's is unnoticable in one/two core only programs.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Q6600 is far more futureproof than the dual core, it just comes down to that for me.
The E6850 might do a little better now, but it aint gonna get any better, games coming out in the next year or two that will take advantage of quad cores, when that happens the Q6600 will eat the E6850 alive.
It's a 'free' upgrade in that sense.

By then neither will cut it in top games and there will be REAL Native Quads well matured.

Soldato
Still fail to understand the argument of those saying "get a duel if you are gona upgrade in 6 months" why spend money you dont need to? do you really have nothing else to spend money on? A q6600GO overclocked to around 3.6 will last you probably over a year heck perhaps 2 years as far as games are conserened. Ive had a 3500+ for 3 years and its lasted me well. I cant see how a Q6600 coiuldn't last me 3 years also.

Back
Top Bottom