Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R doesnt always POST

Soldato
Ive started having problems again with my Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R, my last two I had to RMA due to a different problem, now my current motherboard doesnt always POST. Everything powers on ok, fan, drives etc spin up but nothing shows on the screen or beeps. Unless I press the reset button it comes on but this morning that method didnt work. After 5 attempts of hitting the restart button and pulling the power cable in/out the power supply it finally came on. Has anyone else had this problem, is it best to RMA this motherboard too?

Vir

Vir

Associate
Ahh that's really a bad experience you are getting from these boards mate.. very unlucky :(

Anyway, are you running it stock or overclocked? Does stock give any problems?
My GA-P35-DS3 gives these problems when overclocked aswell if the vcore is just a TAD to low. Somtimes it boots correctly and is rock stable in windows (orthos everything), next time it won't post... Is it similar to yours?

Vir

Vir

Associate
Might be faulty motherboard then :/ What you could do is maybe check the voltage for your ram. Make sure it is set correctly, default is 1.8 I think, most ram must run higher (2.0v / 2.1v), specially when using more then 2 sticks. Also maybe you could try a bios flash once it does boot. Could also be the PSU, dunno if it's maybe a bit to less Watt. If you can get into the bios you can look at the health monitor what the power is like :)

Soldato
OP
I find it strange that it was working fine for the past 2 months and this has started happening. Ive ordered a 650W powersupply, to repace the 550W I have at the moment and see how I get on with that.

Associate
Hi.
I've registered here for this exact same problem. All has been fine for a couple of months, then more often than not, problems during POST. I've found that if I leave it, things will continue as they should after about a minute. More often than not, it'll get stuck after the line 'p35 for Gigabyte etc etc.' then continue 'memory is dual channel interleaved' or some such thing.

Very annoying. 2Gig Geil pc6400, stock clocked, with ram voltage at default +0.2. Also altered timings as per Geil instructions.

If anyone has any clues.... before the big hammer comes out, I've very little patience!!!:mad:

Associate
Hi.

Very annoying. 2Gig Geil pc6400, stock clocked, with ram voltage at default +0.2. Also altered timings as per Geil instructions.

Had to leave my 2Gig Geil pc6400 at default ram voltage in the Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R if not it would not boot or BSOD often.

It was the same in my Asus P5N-E SLi would not boot or BSOD often.

4 4 4 12. Mobo default ram voltage - No problems.

Soldato
OP
Well I got my 650W PSU, computer still had problems booting once. I then upgraded to the latest F6 firmware, starting having random reboots in Windows. Downgraded back to old firmware and took out 2 of my RAM sticks. Seems to be working ok so far but have to see later. So hopefully it isn’t the MB.

Associate
I had this problem with my old Asus A8N-SLI SE, but I could never diagnose the problem.

I got a new P35C-DS3R and after a couple days had the same problem. Fans, drives started up but nothing else would happen.

As this was a new system, the only things in there that was in my old was an X-FI and the PSU, so just out of interest I took out X-FI, and I've not had a problem since.

Soldato
OP
As this was a new system, the only things in there that was in my old was an X-FI and the PSU, so just out of interest I took out X-FI, and I've not had a problem since.

Im only using the onboard sound in my computer. If my RAM is causing this problem I will be surprised as its Crucial RAM Im using and Ive never had any problems with them.

Soldato
When I first bought my Gigabyte P35 board, as in my sig, I first powered it on to find the same problem as the OP. However mine was resolved when I changed my keyboard to a USB type and I flashed with the latest BIOS which resolves...

Fix PS2 keyboard compatibility issues

For me up to changing keyboard types from a PS2 to a USB, although when I flashed the BIOS it might have resolved it, I would experience the above issue.

Now I have a USB keyboard it has been fine.

Sorry if the above is of no help to you but it certainly made a difference for me.

EDIT: Just a point that I remember now. When I first switched it on and thought 'bugger it is dead' I went off to find a USB keyboard I had spare and by the time that I returned it had then booted anyway, agreeing with the other post that sometimes just waiting could help. BTW I read about the keyboard issue on Gigabytes BIOS page that is why I was prepared.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom