• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Aftermarket Cooler For 4850

Associate
Is there currently available a cooler that will fit the 4850 *and* that comes with sufficient heatsinks for all the RAM/VRM/whatever else chips that are cooled by the stock cooler?

Obviously I'd want it to be quieter than the stock cooler as well as delivering a healthy reduction in temps...

Associate
OP
Thanks...seem to recall reading somewhere that you lose software fan control with this product as the fan plugs in to a mobo header...is that correct, do you know?

Permabanned
FOUND THIS

if you make a profile in catalyst after turning on Overdrive( make sure clock and memory settings are correct). You can then go to the file "C:\Users\Bretware\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Bretware. XML. the xml file will have the same name as the catalyst profile you saved. right click and hit edit.

<Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0">
<Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Manual" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="0" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="65" />

Change the value to "manual" and Want value to "65"

Save the file then reload your profile in catalyst.

65% seemed perfect for me, 70% was loud but you may need it if your case has poor air flow.

You will have to select the profile everytime you start the computer, but it will work until there is a fix or better info so i can figure how to change the auto target temp.
Good Luck ,bretware

I found the profile here
C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Local Settings\Application Data\ATI\ACE

Associate
OP
Thanks, yes tried that but the stock fan is too noisy to achieve the kind if drops in temps I'd get from a decent aftermarket cooler.

Associate
OP
OK, thanks - been a good while since I needed to replace one as my X1950XTX that's just been replaced by the 4850 ran quietly anyway...so probably not needed an aftermarket cooler since I had an X800 or similar.

Soldato
I'm not sure why they stopped making 3rd party coolers with a fan header that matches the one on the graphics card? I guess it could all could get a bit complicated as the video cards BIOS is set-up to regulate a certain fan and if you attach another with different specs it may all go wrong! :D

Soldato
The neo vortexx looks interesting, kinda reminds me of the first arctic coolers that we all bought back in the Radeon 9800 days!

I'm not sure if the neo vortexx is better than an Arctic Accelero S1 though? will probably have to try them both and see! :o

Soldato
I don't think it's better, but it's a neat and tidy complete HSF assembly..the accelero s1 you have to fit fans to and stuff, also the akasa cooler dumps the heat out of the case iirc

Soldato
The neo vortexx looks interesting, kinda reminds me of the first arctic coolers that we all bought back in the Radeon 9800 days!

I'm not sure if the neo vortexx is better than an Arctic Accelero S1 though? will probably have to try them both and see! :o

then they just started making stock coolers just like them anyway!

I used a zalman V1000 on my GTX for a while it was amazing with decent case airflow.

Soldato
the accelero s1 you have to fit fans to and stuff,
Aye thats true but fitting fans can be fun, check this out. . .

'HeliMod' Accelero S1

x1950xtmodded16aw1.jpg

x1950xtmodded13aj6.jpg

Got the idea off some Texan bloke and it seems to work great, very similar to the standard Turbo Module but Ghetto fashion!

That's using an old Akasa Amber 92mm, tempted to HeliMod a 120mm fan to see if it offers even better cooling? but to be honest the 92mm diameter seems about right, great cooling and very quiet! :cool:

Soldato
Ah I see, kinda like an in-built ducting feature! hmmm . . .

I guess it depends to what extent the airflow is spread due to not having a casing, perhaps the S1 may function better if the whole surface area recieves some gentle airflow as opposed to having it concentrated in the centre?

Back
Top Bottom