• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Aftermarket Cooler For 4850

Associate
Is there currently available a cooler that will fit the 4850 *and* that comes with sufficient heatsinks for all the RAM/VRM/whatever else chips that are cooled by the stock cooler?

Obviously I'd want it to be quieter than the stock cooler as well as delivering a healthy reduction in temps...

Associate
OP
Thanks...seem to recall reading somewhere that you lose software fan control with this product as the fan plugs in to a mobo header...is that correct, do you know?

Associate
OP
Thanks, yes tried that but the stock fan is too noisy to achieve the kind if drops in temps I'd get from a decent aftermarket cooler.

Associate
OP
OK, thanks - been a good while since I needed to replace one as my X1950XTX that's just been replaced by the 4850 ran quietly anyway...so probably not needed an aftermarket cooler since I had an X800 or similar.

Associate
OP
So what are the odds on seeing dedicated 4850 coolers coming on to the market in the near future..? Ones that provide airflow onto the VRMs and all the necessary sinks and so on...

Associate
OP
Well I've opted for the Neo and some Zalman sinks for anything that the stock cooler covers that the Akasa doesn't.

With the stock cooler I'm getting 80C idle and 90C or so load. the fan profile thing is fine, but it's too easy to forget to wind the fan up before starting a 3D app.

Looking forward to seeing how this affects things.

I was planning on using AS5...any advice on how best to apply it? I've tended to use it only on CPUs previously...

Associate
OP
Ok, thanks. Seem to recall doing that back in the day with various AMD processors.

What's under the stock heatsink for the memory chips...they use pads of some kind or AS5 on those too..?

Associate
OP
Well I replaced my Sapphire 4850's stock cooler today with a Neo Vortex.

Idle temps are down from 80C to 46C

Load temps are down from ~90C to 78C

The good news is temps are down all round and there's no more faffing around with profiles to play with the fan speed. The Neo Vortex is quiet too.

The (somewhat) bad news is that the reduction in load temps is far smaller than I'd hoped for, although perhaps I was unrealistic? The cooler is on tight and there's a thin, even layer of AS5 on the GPU (which still has to cure I guess).

Just thought I'd post my results.

Associate
OP
OK so, for whatever reason, I'm unhappy with my Vortex Neo.

If I fit an Accelero S1 do I need anything more in the way of heatsinks over and above what I used for the Vortex?

What is the best type/way of attaching a fan to the S1? For fan type, I do want a basically silent running one. Do people usually attach their S1 fans to a mobo header/PSU molex or can they attach to the header on the 4850 itself and use the BIOS fan profile?

Thanks...

Back
Top Bottom