ASUS VH226 LCD Review

Associate
Hi All,
Yes the monitor arrived today as promised by overclockers. So 5 stars for service guys and professionalism, you get my vote for Retailer of the year.
I really do not know where to start with this monitor because its plus points are astounding and the picture is better than my plasma TV.
Firstly, lets get the bad news out of the way first and you will realise when you read on, it is not that bad really.
The DVI-D and VGA cables supplied are very sub-standard and it does not come with a HDMI cable either. Despite that, I used the cables it came supplied with and the quality of vision in all modes, is far superior to anything I have seen before.
Then I decided to use my own cables, which are about 2-3 times thicker than the ones supplied, so as a tip to Overclockers staff you should offer better leads as an extra option when selling this monitor.
After using my own cables, the experience just got better. Maybe too much as the performance is so stunning. No shimmering, no broken pixels and the 2 ms response time is up to scratch. If you are a gamer, buy this, because the only problem I had with an X Box 360 that I borrowed off a friend was the xbox's inability to feed this monitors thirst of true HD! :D Maybe that is why it was supplied with sub-standard leads... just a theory!
Alright, so now lets move on to the dreaded Linux and BSD issues according to windows users!
You must be very careful reading the horizontal and vertical refresh rates listed in the booklet, because what I thought would be easy actually is! It works perfectly. The tip here is not to use the highest setting set out in the instruction manual otherwise you will get "Out of Range" reconfiguring X.

Apart from that..This monitor is probably worth more than double its selling price. I almost forgot about the inbuilt speakers.... You can do far better depending on your taste, but I am just biased because I am bit of a hi-fi geek and my vinyl sounds better than anything you can produce digitally :p

Either way, to summarise; Asus have pulled off a coup here, which will shake every other manufacturer to the bone.

Associate
Was just wondering how this monitor would look at a lower resolution i.e. 1280x720 ?

I mainly use my monitor for web browing and very occasional gaming, so prefer the 'larger' settting.

Soldato
Was just wondering how this monitor would look at a lower resolution i.e. 1280x720 ?

I mainly use my monitor for web browing and very occasional gaming, so prefer the 'larger' settting.

You're better off with a 16:10 screen then tbh... the only 'point' of a 16:9 monitor is so you don't have to use any kind of scaling when watching HD content.

If you're going to be gaming/browsing... then stick with a 16:10....

Associate
OP
I cannot say that is exactly true based on some other posts on this forum and how film is actually shot OCdude. I am not an expert either, but purporting 16:10 is better is like saying "Super 8" is shot in 4:3, plus I doubt you even know what a "phantom camera" is, or what film it takes, plus ft/sec.

I can say that this monitor is fantastic though. I do not want to get into a flame war here OCdude, it does appear you are more clued up than I.

Therefore, buy one of these and do a review.

For everyone else. This monitor is not disappointing and for the money, you could really do yourself more damage buying anything else.

PEACE ;)

Associate
OP
I will do some pics shortly for you all soon. My life is just not my own atm. this is what happens when you have children and I need to get my camera mounted on the tripod.

Hrmm I have an idea, scratch mounting my camera. I will do some screen shots as my camera is incapable actually of providing pictures to show the true picture if you understand where I am coming from. :D

I shall upload asap. ;)

Associate
OP
Particle Illusion is also used to create virtually every explosions in games. Therefore it is a good benchmark especially the screen shot was taken on a HP machine with only a 96mb graphics card!!!!!

Associate
Thanks for the heads up flecktarn. Im looking for a gaming monitor myself, and was wondering, arent more and more games running best at 16:9 now rather than 16:10? Im confused to as what the difference is.

Cheers.

Soldato
Hi All,
Yes the monitor arrived today as promised by overclockers. So 5 stars for service guys and professionalism, you get my vote for Retailer of the year.
I really do not know where to start with this monitor because its plus points are astounding and the picture is better than my plasma TV.
Firstly, lets get the bad news out of the way first and you will realise when you read on, it is not that bad really.
The DVI-D and VGA cables supplied are very sub-standard and it does not come with a HDMI cable either. Despite that, I used the cables it came supplied with and the quality of vision in all modes, is far superior to anything I have seen before.
Then I decided to use my own cables, which are about 2-3 times thicker than the ones supplied, so as a tip to Overclockers staff you should offer better leads as an extra option when selling this monitor.
After using my own cables, the experience just got better. Maybe too much as the performance is so stunning. No shimmering, no broken pixels and the 2 ms response time is up to scratch. If you are a gamer, buy this, because the only problem I had with an X Box 360 that I borrowed off a friend was the xbox's inability to feed this monitors thirst of true HD! :D Maybe that is why it was supplied with sub-standard leads... just a theory!
Alright, so now lets move on to the dreaded Linux and BSD issues according to windows users!
You must be very careful reading the horizontal and vertical refresh rates listed in the booklet, because what I thought would be easy actually is! It works perfectly. The tip here is not to use the highest setting set out in the instruction manual otherwise you will get "Out of Range" reconfiguring X.

Apart from that..This monitor is probably worth more than double its selling price. I almost forgot about the inbuilt speakers.... You can do far better depending on your taste, but I am just biased because I am bit of a hi-fi geek and my vinyl sounds better than anything you can produce digitally :p

Either way, to summarise; Asus have pulled off a coup here, which will shake every other manufacturer to the bone.

Thanks for this ,great review , you mentioned the cables , are you using the DVI or HDMI connection to your Graphic card ?

Associate
This monitor gets 4.7 from 5 stars based on the following; Minus 0.1 no HDMI lead, 0.1 sub-standard DVI-D cable and 0.1 for sub-standard VGA cable.

What do you mean with "sub-standard DVI-D cable" and "sub-standard VGA cable"? What is the problem with it? :confused:

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom