Overclockers UK Forums Click here for more details
Free Shipping for Loyal Forum Members - CLICK HERE

Go Back   Overclockers UK Forums > Hardware > Graphics Cards

Old 13th May 2009, 19:58   #1
cavemanoc
Mobster

XFX Warranty

Been sorting out an RMA with XFX over the past week. It started well with the online ticket being almost instantly answered with some sound advice. Brilliant, I thought, however when I pressed them to send me RMA instructions things started getting surreal...

Quote:
[ 5/8/2009 3:57:21 PM] Hi. My 8800GTX has stopped working. When I power up the machine it simply does nothing - no lights, no fan, no sign of life at all. I have tried it in a couple of different motherboards with no luck. My current GFX card (nVidia 280 gtx) works fine. Could I please have RMA instructions so I can send it to you for testing? Thanks Shane

[SHAUN_T 5/8/2009 4:46:16 PM] Hi Shane, thanks for your message. Did you make any hardware or software changes, move the PC or notice any unusual messages on start-up when the problems began? Please ensure the power cables are correctly connected to the card and is getting full power. Kind regards, Shaun.

[ 5/8/2009 8:31:40 PM] No warning at all unfortunately. I switched it off, working fine, then went to power on the next day and it was dead . I have subsequently tried it on a couple of other motherboards with no luck.
[ 5/11/2009 12:29:22 PM] Can I have RMA instructions please? His final response really is a work of art... Failure to read my initial post, Check... Failure to get all the facts, Check... Failure to be of any use to the customer, that's a big check!

[SHAUN_T 5/12/2009 12:48:45 PM] Hi Shane, thanks for your message. Unfortunately, your graphics card is out of warranty so we are unable to take the card back for RMA. Have you tried a different card in your system to see if it boots up without any issues? Kind regards, Shaun.

[ 5/13/2009 8:55:31 PM] Wow - I won`t ask how it is you think you know when I purchased this card, but given that the date on the invoice is 7 April 2008, and this issue occurred at the end of March 2009, that would mean that you are suggesting that this card has less than a one year warranty - rather than discussing the finer points of the Sale of Goods Act (as amended) (and the definitions of `fit for purpose` and of `suitable quality`) could I suggest that you send me RMA instructions so we can sort this out in an amicable manner?
I always find condescension and sarcasm the most satisfying response to stupidity - even if it isn't particularly constructive

I miss my sig - RIP Geocities
Last edited by cavemanoc; 13th May 2009 at 20:01.
cavemanoc is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 20:16   #2
Greebo
Capodecina

Why did you leave if 6 weeks from the card dying to log for an RMA just out of interest?

5820K @ 4.6Ghz, Asus Strix X99 Gaming, 32Gb Gskill Trident Z 3200 C14, Titan X Pascal , Custom Water Loop, Samsung 951 SSD, Samsung 930 SSD, 4 x 2 TB WD Ent in Raid 5, Benq 32" 4k
Greebo is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 20:21   #3
cavemanoc
Mobster

I was 8000 miles away unfortunatley

Old 13th May 2009, 20:22   #4
Orangey
Sgarrista

Was there a prelude to that convo? It looks like you contacted them 1 month after warranty expired from what you posted...

Please read the FAQ regarding signature sizes
Orangey is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 21:05   #5
mmj_uk
Capodecina

My initial reaction to reading that is it sounds like you are talking to a mate on MSN, you should have wrote something much more formal explaining all the details... when you bought it, when it died, why you couldn't contact them for 6wks, what you have done to confirm it is faulty etc. It should have all been included in your original message.

As for your last message, satisfying maybe but it's not the way to go about getting a favourable response.

Unless you can prove that it died late March within the warranty period which I doubt you can, your best bet now is to be polite and explain that you are upset that their product costing you £xx has lasted less than a year and even more so that they are unwilling to accept it for RMA, unless you are willing to take legal action which I doubt it would be worth it.

Last edited by mmj_uk; 13th May 2009 at 21:22.
mmj_uk is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 21:37   #6
bosTRom
Gangster

I thought XFX came with 2 years warranty?

I RMA XFX 7800GTX a while back and I thought the service was good.No receipt either just registered card on website.

E8400@4.2GHz~ASUS MAXIMUS II FORMULA~BFG GTX285~CORSAIR 4GB~RAPTOR X~SAMMY F1 1TB~ANTEC P182~CM850PSU~DELL 2407WFP
bosTRom is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 21:39   #7
cavemanoc
Mobster

It does come with a 2 year warranty - which makes his comment all the more perplexing - hence the rather terse response from myself and the reason I wasn't worried about the delay in claiming. I didn't bother going into detail as I didn't think it was required - my card is broken - it's under warranty - I would like to send it to you for testing - please give me an RMA number - It's not rocket science really...

Old 13th May 2009, 21:55   #8
vertica
Wise Guy

lol, i've delt with that chap TWICE before and "useless" would be a compliment.

Everything i posted he just suggested i do it again or he didn't read what i'd written at all and posted something completely irrelavent. I know they must get the odd person who's not turned his monitor on at the plug, or made a really simple honest mistake, but most of their customers are reasonably knowledgable, competant and dont wish to be treated like a child.

The first time i was simply after a bios ISO file as they'd only published the .bin. His first response was to tell me there was a bios update and had i tried that.... After politely replying that this was what i was trying to do (as per my OP) i just wanted an iso, he just told me to do it in windows. Which after several more posts along the lines of 'i would rather not as it often fails and destroyes the board' with his repsonse being that he'd never heard of such a thing and to flash the bios from windows.
I eventually gave in and used the .bin and bricked the board as i had said would happen. His reply was 'have you tried the bios update yet?' i ended up badgering the retailer until they kindly sorted out an RMA/refund.

The second time i sent a simple question about how their transferable warranty worked, and what was required to change ownership. His response was "All XFX products have a two year warranty" and he closed the thread

They do have some helpful support staff to though
Last edited by vertica; 13th May 2009 at 22:00.
vertica is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 11:27   #9
cavemanoc
Mobster

nice to know I'm not the only one - funny old thing there is still no response - I'm sure the comedy will continue - how hard is it to simply give me an RMA number?

Old 14th May 2009, 11:33   #10
Tute
Capodecina

Why do you think OcUK stopped stocking these cards and then only agreed to do so if they got to handle the RMAs?

5820K | X99E-ITX | 32GB DDR4 | RX 480 | 840 EVO M.2 | NCASE M1
Tute is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 19:20   #11
bosTRom
Gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tute View Post
Why do you think OcUK stopped stocking these cards and then only agreed to do so if they got to handle the RMAs?
Do OcUK handle all XFX RMA's now? I would prefer that as I am looking into getting a bargain XFX 4870X2.

E8400@4.2GHz~ASUS MAXIMUS II FORMULA~BFG GTX285~CORSAIR 4GB~RAPTOR X~SAMMY F1 1TB~ANTEC P182~CM850PSU~DELL 2407WFP
Old 14th May 2009, 19:30   #12
GeneralD
Wise Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosTRom View Post
Do OcUK handle all XFX RMA's now? I would prefer that as I am looking into getting a bargain XFX 4870X2.
Thats what I gathered. I recently bought an XFX GTX 260 216 under the impression I wouldnt have to deal with XFX less than flattering reputation with respect to RMA.
GeneralD is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 19:38   #13
Tute
Capodecina

If you read the small print, it states that OcUK will honour XFX's 2 year warranty direct under their own RMA procedures.

Old 14th May 2009, 20:00   #14
Yewen
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosTRom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralD View Post
Thats what I gathered. I recently bought an XFX GTX 260 216 under the impression I wouldnt have to deal with XFX less than flattering reputation with respect to RMA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tute View Post
If you read the small print, it states that OcUK will honour XFX's 2 year warranty direct under their own RMA procedures.

Spot on guys, we dropped XFX a few years back due to the appauling service they gave the end user when RMA time came around.

To their credit they have improved, even when listed above but we are not ones to tempt fate.

We are in a position where we can pressure them for RMAs for any of our customers or deal with the return ourselves. We have it in place where 9/10 we can send a brand new replacement card out within a couple of days of the card being tested.

If you still have the card and it was purchased from OcUK just open up a support ticket and we will be more than happy to sort a return out for you.

Yewen is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 20:04   #15
Tute
Capodecina

Yep, I remember actually laughing out loud when Spie revealed that XFX were threatening legal action because OcUK simply....

...told the truth!

Personally i'll always stick with Sapphire where possible, had their cards for a few years now and no problems.

Old 14th May 2009, 20:22   #16
GeneralD
Wise Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yewen View Post
Spot on guys, we dropped XFX a few years back due to the appauling service they gave the end user when RMA time came around.

To their credit they have improved, even when listed above but we are not ones to tempt fate.

We are in a position where we can pressure them for RMAs for any of our customers or deal with the return ourselves. We have it in place where 9/10 we can send a brand new replacement card out within a couple of days of the card being tested.

If you still have the card and it was purchased from OcUK just open up a support ticket and we will be more than happy to sort a return out for you.

Could I ask, considering I just bought this XFX 260 on tuesday, do I need to register on XFX for this warranty still?

Cheers

Martyn
GeneralD is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 20:35   #17
Yewen
Capodecina

Would always recommend registering all warranties.

Double backup then and you will have followed all procedure so there is no reason not to get any problems fixed in the future.

I have my graphics card registered with the manufacturer and I work at OcUK, it is just good practice to do so. OcUK will always fight our customers corner if a manufacturer is dragging their feet with a return; if however they require registration in their terms it can take a lot from our argument!

You should be able to register your product at the following link: http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/Help/Support.aspx

If the link does not cover your product just follow the instructions with the card.

Old 14th May 2009, 21:47   #18
bosTRom
Gangster

Thanks for info Yemen!

At least i can buy XFX products again with confidence.

Old 14th May 2009, 21:52   #19
Nelly
Soldato

Quote:
H'mm how come you still deal with Asus then? Too popular to drop even though their RMA service is 110% terrible.

2500K @ 4.9GHz MSI Z77 MPower EVGA GTX 980 SC 4GB @ 1342/3506
Nelly is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 21:57   #20
Slackworth
Sgarrista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly View Post
H'mm how come you still deal with Asus then? Too popular to drop even though their RMA service is 110% terrible.
Asus has always been the hard one unfortunately. They're No. 1 on Motherboards in the world by quite some distance and for any company to drop Asus would be pretty damaging to motherboard sales.

They've just got so big though that they've forgotten about customers.
Slackworth is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2009, 09:58   #21
cavemanoc
Mobster

Great news - I will drop the guys at OcUK a line and get this sorted out - although I will miss the rather hapless Shaun_T - I'm sure I'll get over it when my replacement arrives

Old 19th May 2009, 15:52   #22
cavemanoc
Mobster

Well thank heavens for OcUK! I had a chat to the helpful chaps in Tech Support and they issued me an RMA there and then so the card is now winging its way to them now.

The rather unhelpful Shaun_T has subsequently written back to me with further 'helpful' suggestions - so I intent to continue my support session with them - as much out of curiosity, as bloody mindedness - just to see where it leads, and how long it takes them to provide the same level of service that took all of 15 seconds with the guys here! I'll update if anything interesting developes.

Old 19th May 2009, 16:08   #23
vertica
Wise Guy

Do share, i'd like to see the nonsense he's still spouting, lol.
Glad Ocuk sorted it for you.
vertica is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 16:09   #24
Yewen
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavemanoc View Post
Well thank heavens for OcUK! I had a chat to the helpful chaps in Tech Support and they issued me an RMA there and then so the card is now winging its way to them now.

The rather unhelpful Shaun_T has subsequently written back to me with further 'helpful' suggestions - so I intent to continue my support session with them - as much out of curiosity, as bloody mindedness - just to see where it leads, and how long it takes them to provide the same level of service that took all of 15 seconds with the guys here! I'll update if anything interesting developes.
Glad to hear we are getting you sorted out.

We will confirm the fault once it is in our hands and see about getting a replacement sorted.

Old 19th May 2009, 16:35   #25
MoRT489
Soldato

Quote:
We have it in place where 9/10 we can send a brand new replacement card out within a couple of days of the card being tested.
Quote:
We will confirm the fault once it is in our hands and see about getting a replacement sorted.
If this is the case (i.e. u test it then issue a replacement) I think u need to replace the word "pending" with "subject to", otherwise it seems like u are providing a replacement card whilst u test it

Quote:
***EXCLUSIVE Premium Priority 2 Year Warranty***

In the unlikely event of your card failing within 2 Years, OcUK will replace your card with a brand new one, pending testing within our standard RMA/ testing terms and conditions (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/support.php)

Revive BF2, sign up to save it and your stats!
MoRT489 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 16:42   #26
philjohn
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavemanoc View Post
I always find condescension and sarcasm the most satisfying response to stupidity - even if it isn't particularly constructive
or particularly correct, you've tried to quote the Sales of Goods act in a situation it doesn't apply to - with the original manufacturer. The sales of goods act governs the contract between you and the retailer, the warranty offered by XFX is in addition/separate to your statutory rights.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.
philjohn is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 19:07   #27
cavemanoc
Mobster

^^ Absolutely correct - and I actually got pulled up on it by XFX which surprised me - guess they get a lot of complaints and have extensive knowledge of the regs

A word of warning to any of you planning on buying XFX cards from anyone other than OcUK: I was shown the light by a different rep who pointed out that XFX only offers ONE YEAR of warranty to customers...

Quote:
WARRANTY PERIOD: XFX warranties hardware Product for a period of one (1) year from purchase from an authorised XFX reseller
The 2 years that was bandied about if for Distributers and not us

However - as pointed out above, OcUK have supplemented this (rather meagre) allowance with another year out of the goodness of their hearts (or an astute sense of the value of good customer relations )

Just to show I'm fair in my whining - the rest of the correspondence is attached below - I get 'pwned' good - so have a chuckle at my expense - but don't miss the point - XFX really are bad at customer relations.

Quote:
[SHAUN_T 5/19/2009 10:43:02 AM] Hi Shane, thanks for your message. Sorry to see you feel this way, but the system is showing your graphics card as out of warranty. Did you manage to test a different card in your system? Kind regards, Shaun.

[ 5/19/2009 4:48:56 PM] Yes, as stated in my original post, I am currently running my nVidia 280 GTX in the same system and it runs fine.

[THOMAS 5/19/2009 5:45:28 PM] Hi Shane, our system shows your card is out of warranty, the SGSA applies between the reseller and yourself. You will need to talk to your reseller regarding your RMA. As our system shows you are out of warranty all I could offer you is a subsidised replacement against your faulty card. Best regards Tom.

[ 5/19/2009 8:21:53 PM] I was under the impression that you offer a 2 year warranty on all XFX cards. My card was purchased on the 7 April 2008. How can it be out of warranty?

[THOMAS 5/20/2009 10:30:11 AM] Hi Shane, The distributors ( XFX`s customer) get up to 2 years warranty with us, due to the vagaries of getting the card through the sales channel and possibly back (for RMA). So we support them with a two year warranty to ensure the reseller provides you with 1 full year. Hope this helps, regards Tom

Old 20th May 2009, 20:54   #28
Yewen
Capodecina

XFX happen to have the lowest % failure rate of all the ATI partners since we have taken them back on and as you have highlighted above we have special terms in place.

We would not consider stocking their products unless we could offer a very competative support service, which we have thankfully managed to negotiate.

Just to remind anyone with an XFX card purchased from OcUK, get in touch with us if you have any trouble with your cards and we will sort the issue out.

Old 20th May 2009, 21:14   #29
Happy
Soldato

Good to hear it's all being taken care off

Happy is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 07:53   #30
Ch3m1c4L
Mobster

im surprised they even handle RMA's at all now, when i tried (year or more ago) they simply didnt do it, although that meant i got pleasently surprised with the RMA service of a different e-tailer where theyd let me pick a date for a courier to turn up, and hed come and give me a new card and take away the old one.

Only delt with OCUK RMA once and wasnt exactly happy (they sent the same faulty board back and the packaging didnt even appear to have been opened, and it had a corrupt bios on it, and a dodgy audio chip that never did work but meh. That was YEARS ago though...around the time when they sent me a hard drive id purchased in a jiffy bag...that got put through my letter box...and dropped.

Still, been happier with the service the few times i have used OCUK in the last year.

Main: x5650 4.2ghz, R3Ex, 12GB, 1xSSD, 1x4TB SSHD, TRI SLI GTX 980Ti
HTPC: i5 4670k, Z97, 16GB, 3xSSD, 1x 3TB, GTX 770
Server: i7 4790k, Z87, 24GB, 1xSSD, 8 x 2TB R6, 8x 3TB R6, GTX 960
http://www.ch3mplay.co.uk
Ch3m1c4L is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote