i7 build wont boot Windows . . .

Associate
So my components finally arrived for my i7 build.

NEW: Gigabyte EX58 UD5
NEW: Intel i7 920 D0 (retail)
NEW: Patriot Viper 3x2GB DDR3 1600MHz (UD5 boots it at 1066MHz for some reason and rates it at 1.5V instead of 1.65V)
[from previous system:]
nVidia 9800GX2
OCZ 780W ModXStream
Western Digital 500GB (have two and a Samsung F1 1TB which are not currently installed)
Samsung 22x DVD
Coolermaster 690

Everything from previous system was working perfectly.

I can get into BIOS and install OS' but when it comes to booting them it just restarts after the little windows animation. Probably worth noting that the restart isnt like a normal restart; it turns everything off, pauses and then turns back on.
Ive tried Windows 7 RC and Windows XP, both get to the little loading animations then the system restarts. Ive also tried installing and booting from different hard drives.

Really dont know what could be causing this . . .
any ideas ?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
After it has failed to boot it comes up with this screen (Windows 7) :

Windows Error Recovery
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
3. Click "Repair your computer."

Other options:
If power was interrupted during startup, choose start Windows Normally.
(Use the arrow keys to highlight your choice.)

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Last Known Good Configuration (advanced)
Start Windows Normally

Description: Start Windows with its regular settings.

Associate
OP
Have you reinstalled the operating systems?

Ive tried Windows 7 RC and Windows XP, both get to the little loading animations then the system restarts. Ive also tried installing and booting from different hard drives.

EDIT:
The BIOS is reading good temperatures too:
system 25-33
CPU 22-25

Here we go - 2GB RAM (1xDIMM)
Windows starting, animation . . .
ooo, Setup is preparing for first use, Setup is checking video performance . . .
And now the setup windows box I wanted. This is further than before anyway.
So it gets further with one DIMM than the full 3 in the set.
What does that actually mean ?

EDIT2:
Well im into Windows 7.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just so you know..my restart is similar to yours. Seems to practically shut down before kicking back up. Quite a slow reboot in my opinion.

It's probably adviseable to install a fresh operating system for such a fundamental hardware change.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just so you know..my restart is similar to yours. Seems to practically shut down before kicking back up. Quite a slow reboot in my opinion.

It's probably adviseable to install a fresh operating system for such a fundamental hardware change.

I can get into BIOS and install OS' but when it comes to booting them it just restarts after the little windows animation. Probably worth noting that the restart isnt like a normal restart; it turns everything off, pauses and then turns back on.

Anyone know how to set the voltage of the RAM on the UD5 ?
Found it but the damn BIOS only has options for 1.64 or 1.66 . . .
Well there we go, Windows will boot with all 3x2GB at 1.64V
Cheers for the help J.B

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Things are still playing up. I reconnected all the HDDs and it reverterd to the previous problem, voltages etc had not changed.
Took one of the HDDs out and it booted . . . not really sure whats going on.

Associate
OP
Hmm, the 1TB Samsung F1 is the only one that hasnt been formatted, and with it plugged in and my W7 OS HDD it will boot.
I will try different combos to see if its one of the SATA devices causing an issue or the mobo.

Associate
OP
Cheers I will try that. I had thought about doing it but figured it was so early on that it should be compatible with the 920, especially as my mobo came with F7.

No ive not got any RAID on atm.

Associate
Did you do a clean install after it was built?

Clear CMOS?

At the error screen, select Launch Start Repair (recommended) from the error screen and let Windows repairs its files.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
To clear up for people as they seem to miss it in the OP, yes it was a clean install. I have tried clean installs of different OS' and on different HDDs.
No changes had been made to the BIOS when the error first occured. I have since cleared the CMOS a few times with no affect.
The error screen only occurs (now) when all 4 SATA devices are connected (and will not go away until I remove one of the SATA devices) or after a particular Windows 7 update is applied (have not yet figure out which one).
I have tried both 1.64 and 1.66V.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It is not any one particular HDD. Ive already said this - its when all of them are connected, a combination of 3 of the devices boots fine.
And all devices ran together on the previous system with the EVGA 750i SLI f.t.w and Q9550.

Back
Top Bottom