i7 build wont boot Windows . . .

Associate
OP
Have already done complete reinstalls, doubt that would make any difference.
And the OS DVD is fine as ive used it on 2 other systems today which are working flawlessly.

Hmm, the PSU is a 780W, would be surprised if it couldnt handle it but its on my list of things to check.
Would the change to i7 from Q9550 really be enough to push it out of bootable parameters ?

Associate
OP
Going to spend most of today on it :

- Make sure its not caused by any particular SATA device.

- Find out which Windows 7 update(s) are causing the fail to boot.
[Just turned it on for the first time this morning, after pressing the power button everything span up for a second and then off again, paused for 2/3 seconds and then turned on again. Windows 7 patches installed (hasnt got past this before) and Im into Windows again with the patches. This is with just the two HDDs and one DVD though.]

- Update BIOS.
[Updated through @BIOS, reported as succesful although nothing appears to have changed . . . ]
[Now on F9e]

- Clear CMOS.
[cleared CMOS, nothing noteable seems to have changed. except the RAM is now at 1066MHz again.]

- Triple check all power connections.

- Try a different power supply.

- Reseat CPU.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hmm, everything seemed to be going well so I ran an OCCT test and it restarted mid way through it.

Maybe its worth noting that my CPU throttles upto 2.8GHz and down to 1.6GHz. I figured it was a feature of the i7's but Ive never actually seen it on 2.66GHz.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Set the RAM back to 1600MHz + 1.64V and it failed to boot. Same issue as before - gets to Windows loading animation and turns off for 2/3 seconds then back on.
Upped RAM voltage to 1.66V and it will boot. Will try some stress tests now.
OCCT passed but with slightly higher temps (58/57/58/53) is this because the memory controller is on the i7 ?

Last edited:
Associate
I was having the same sort of problems as you BIGBC, was having trouble getting a stable system no matter what voltages i used. In the end i updates the BIOS to F9e, and was suggested to me to change:

PCI Extreme Fequency 101
CPU Clock Skew 100ps
IOH 1.14
CPU PLL 1.3

Now my sytem to 100 times more stable. I wasnt sure if it was the BIOS changes above or the new BIOS that has helped me, but i have changed all above settings back to default (as wasnt 100% sure what cpu clock skew, IOH & CPU PLL actually are) apart for the PCI-E Freq which ive left at 101 and my system is still stable, give it a go

Associate
OP
Cheers for the advice mate, things are seeming alright atm (im blaming F9e). Havent managed to do as much on the system today as I wanted.
Kinda dissapointing that such an advised brand + board would cause so many issues . . .

Associate
OP
I put all the HDDs back in and everything seemed fine, had been running well all day.
Then out of nowhere it freezes, all I was doing was watching an episode of Lost in VLC.
This is really getting frustrating now.

Associate
OP
Tested my system with a different motherboard in it and it was fine. Took the UD5 back and got an EVGA X58 SLI LE instead - the one I was originally intending to and everything is running beautifully. Not to mention the CPU temps being 5C lower (I had seated the heatsink several times on the UD5 using the exact same method).

Back
Top Bottom