• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5850 Boot Problem

Associate
I got my 5850 yesterday, connected it properly etc. Thing is when i goto boot my machine the lights come on but the monitor doesnt. You can hear the graphics card fan sort of "revving" (like a car revving basically) and each rev seems to restart the machine, after about 6-7 revs the monitor comes on and everythings ok. Just wondering if i can sort out the boot problem, was thinking maybe its struggling to get power at the start?

Associate
I got my 5850 yesterday, connected it properly etc. Thing is when i goto boot my machine the lights come on but the monitor doesnt. You can hear the graphics card fan sort of "revving" (like a car revving basically) and each rev seems to restart the machine, after about 6-7 revs the monitor comes on and everythings ok. Just wondering if i can sort out the boot problem, was thinking maybe its struggling to get power at the start?

you have the exact same problem as me, and so far no one has come up with any answers so im leaning more towards its a dodgy card,

- cant be a driver issue
- cant be bios as ive checked all settings and people are getting this problem with different mobos
- cant be power i have 600w psu

i dont have a clue

what specs u running?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Are you meant to connect both the molexs on each adapter (so a total of 4 molexs connected?)

6-pin.jpg

Soldato
i had to rma one of my 5870s because of this same reason,loads of ppl have had the same issues and nobody seems to have any answers why this happens.

And if definitely wasnt a ram or psu issue as the company accepted my rma and issued a replacement card all is ok now.

Last edited:
Soldato
TBH I think you may be right reguarding the Power Supply, 400W PS is cutting it fine for these new cards. I would definately upgrade it first before sending back what may be an ok card.

Associate
OP
I dont think its my RAM since it works fine with my old card. I think its either my CPU (going to reset the cmos when i get home) Or my PSU.

Could you recommend me a PSU that has enough room for crossfired 5850's?

Also what about the adapters (in my previous post)

Associate
OP
Think its my PSU, atleast it seems to fit the bill. My PC randomly shut down earlier and along with the boot problem, seems to me that its struggling for power.

Associate

I have the same problem, had RMA'd my sapphire 5850, but the tests came back fine, it booted up and ran games and the benchemarks on their test system. Got it back now, still doing the same, might have to upgrade PSU, which is corsair 520HX along with msi K9A mainboard with the latest bios (1.8), and looking @ http://ati.amd.com/products/certified/powersupplies.html#pstop think might have to.

Associate
Got to be a problem with them, dropping like flies these cards.

Really? I hadn't seen many reports of them dropping like flies. I am aware of their problems (being new tech and such) but have missed reports of them fizzling out :(.

My asus is doing me quite proud bar the irritating flickering issue with my second monitor when just on the desktop if I overclock it.

Caporegime
Are you meant to connect both the molexs on each adapter (so a total of 4 molexs connected?)

6-pin.jpg

Yes, id plug 2x molex into that.

Really? I hadn't seen many reports of them dropping like flies. I am aware of their problems (being new tech and such) but have missed reports of them fizzling out :(.

My asus is doing me quite proud bar the irritating flickering issue with my second monitor when just on the desktop if I overclock it.

Theres loads on here, and other forums as well, with this as the main problem, no post screen, fan 100%, and taking about 5-6+ restarts to get them going, luckily mines working fine so far (touches head (for wood :p)).

Last edited:
Soldato

My 5870 worked fine for a week then started giving me boot problems.

Associate
I guess I'm just blind then!

I echo the "touch wood" sentiment, I was lucky to grab an Asus on a Dutch site and I would rather not be messing around now I have it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom