=== Corsair P Series Firmware Update ===

Soldato
=== Corsair P Series Firmware Update ===

Very handy for people looking to purchase a SSD or already have one of the Corsair P series. :)

Corsair, a worldwide leader in high-performance computer and flash memory products, today announced that it has released firmware with TRIM support and a firmware update tool for its award-winning Performance Series P64, P128 and P256 solid-state drives.
The firmware (revisionVBM19C1Q) and update tool were both developed by Samsung, and have been rigorously qualified by both Samsung and Corsair using a large number of test platforms, in conjunction with a controlled end-user BETA test of the new firmware.
"This new firmware release for Corsair's Performance Series SSDs adds support for the TRIM performance-maintenance command in Microsoft Windows 7, further enhancing what are already some of the fastest and most respected SSDs on the market," said Jim Carlton, VP of Marketing for Corsair. "While other SSD manufacturers have rushed out bug-ridden firmware and update tools, sometimes with disastrous consequences for end-users, Corsair refused to jump on the bandwagon. We took the time to rigorously test and quality our tools, ensuring that our users will have the best experience possible."
The new firmware and firmware update tool are available immediately from Corsair's Product Forum. The new firmware has been specifically designed to add support for the TRIM command in Windows 7, which enables the operating system to progressively 'clean' previously deleted or 'invalid' data from the drive's memory cells, automatically maintaining optimal performance over time. In addition to the end-user firmware update tool for existing owners, all new Corsair Performance Series solid-state drives currently have firmware VBM19C1Q pre-loaded by default.

Taken from RAM GUY on the Corsair Support Forums:

The new Samsung firmware and updater tool have completed internal qualification and BETA testing and has been released.

A couple important notes and warnings: Even though this has been released there are still some reasons why it may not work for everyone:

[1] You will need to use a System or MB that will boot and run Microsoft DOS 6.22 or 7.0 and be able to see a SSD Drive set to IDE Mode. (You cannot use a RAID card or an on board controller set to RAID and run this update)

[2] This tool will only work on Corsair P64, P128, and P256 drives.

[3] This tool WILL ERASE the contents of the drive. All data will be lost. You must back up your DATA prior to doing this update.

[4] This tool has been qualified on X86 Based Hardware ONLY with the above listed restrictions and limitations..

[5] This tool must be run from a bootable USB drive. There have been some users in the BETA program that used other methods but at this time they would not officially be supported.

[6] This update has been developed by Samsung to enable Windows 7 Trim Support on NTFS-formatted SSDs. We do not recommend or support its use on any other platforms.

Please read the Firmware Download Guide (attached) and if you are not able to follow these steps as outlined we would not suggest running this update. This utility is supplied as-is, and is NOT guaranteed to run on all systems, regardless of operating system, CPU, drive format, or other factors. Using this utility WILL ERASE the contents of the SSD being reprogrammed. Use this utility at your own risk; Corsair can not be responsible for any damages other than to the P-Series SSD, which is covered under Corsair’s standard warranty. Note that using this utility does not impact in any way the warranty on your P-series SSD.

hux

hux

Soldato
Indilinx controller drives aren't far behind as well, i think ocz agility and crucial m225? and corsair extreme.
But crucial are holding back their firmware release until after christmas just in case there are any issues.

Currently they support trim in windows 7 but after a week or two they slow down quite a lot, hopefully this new firmware will solve the issue.

Associate
I'm getting a bit annoyed at this constantly having to reformat drives to apply the firmware updates - gonna sit out the next round of Crucial updates 'til I'm 100% sure I'm not gonna have to flash the firmware yet again - this is becoming a real PITA :(

Associate
I'm getting a bit annoyed at this constantly having to reformat drives to apply the firmware updates - gonna sit out the next round of Crucial updates 'til I'm 100% sure I'm not gonna have to flash the firmware yet again - this is becoming a real PITA :(

This thread is for Corsair P series drives - which use the Samsung PB22J controller - not the Crucial Indilinx drives, so totally different firmware...I wouldn't read from this that the next Crucial M225 will be destructive...but it still could be :D

Back
Top Bottom