• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Tempted by some cheap GTX460 SLI action? Might want to check this out first before laying down your

Soldato
In the case of single GPU Vs Multi GPU, it appears less is more.
From the above video, the REAL performance of SLI GTX 460 is pretty crappy, and if the performance is crappy then it doesn't offer good value either.

Looks as if even something like a single modestly clocked 5850 would give much better performance than 460SLI.

So it seems the GTX480's and 5870's still offer much better REAL value than their cheap SLI/CF counterparts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g1vVJTGdtU

"as you can clearly see now that the ATI cards are smooth compared to nvidia, despite running at a lower framerate. the nvidia cards stutter like crazy and negates the high frame rate readings these cards are able to display."

Soldato
whatever. stuttering becomes apparent at 30fps and below. most people game at 1080p or 1050p and at these resolutions fps will be much higher with no sign of stuttering.

Permabanned
Well if you look closely the ATI is only running 3840x800 res while the 460's are running 4320x900, thats a big difference in resolution.

Ant the SLI seemed about the same smoothness at a higher res.

It's not really "if you look closely" the person states the difference in resolutions, it's because they were trying to get the same frame rate between the different setups. That's pretty obvious considering 2 460s should be faster than 1 5870.

It's pretty obvious that the 2 460s are stuttering quite badly, but it could be for a number of reasons other than the fact that it's multigpu.

Last edited:
Permabanned
whatever. stuttering becomes apparent at 30fps and below. most people game at 1080p or 1050p and at these resolutions fps will be much higher with no sign of stuttering.

That wasn't the point, the point was there seems to be more stuttering on the 460s than the 5870, when they were doing the same FPS.

Caporegime
The AMD numbers are in 2xaa and the Nvidia while a higher res, has no AA. His point is less about the FPS though, which frankly you can't compared due to AA and different res, but that he thinks with both systems at 30fps, that the single AMD card is way way smoother and mentions that at the same speed the 460gtx sli(same settings? res or res + aa, not clear) the gtx is giving 42fps but it still isn't as smooth.

This is generally why I dislike benchmarking in general, and most certainly random video's on youtube as proof of anything, the video isn't even particularly clear that the Nvidia setup has more stutter, though it appears like it might do, when you're limited by the video capture's fps aswell its all a little retarded.

Soldato
OP
Thought its always been considered single cards are 'smoother' than multi gpu cards.

Yep it has, it's just most folks don't know this, and they think they are getting a bargain with their cheap SLI/CF cards, when they would in fact be getting the best value from 5850's of 470's and still better value with the high end single GPU's like 5870's & 480's.

Soldato
That wasn't the point, the point was there seems to be more stuttering on the 460s than the 5870, when they were doing the same FPS.

same 30 and below fps. thank you captain obvious everybody knows multi gpu setups stutter when fps are that low.

Soldato
OP
I bet there is still heavy stuttering at even higher FPS until you got way over 60FPS.
30 FPS should still be playable, your TV is only running at 25-30fps.
But it seems 30FPS with SLI added just hurts my eyes...

Permabanned
I've never noticed that kind of stuttering in any of my games with many crossfire + SLI setups.

Even when I enable V Sync and the max frames are capped to 60 fps, there is no kind of slowdown like what you have in your video.

Permabanned
In my opinion when I get 30 or less fps, I think there are more things to worry than stuttering. I think that my gameplay experience decreases even if there is no stuttering.

Fixed.

Experience is subjective, and dependant on the game as well, some games are smooth at 30FPS, some aren't.

Back
Top Bottom