Who stayed with mechanical HDs

Associate
Im going back to them tbh.

Yeah SSD's are nice & fast, but the failure rate & the fact with the latest Sata III SSD's having problems mainly Sandforce, it just not worth the bother, my old Vertex 2 died on me just under a year out of the blue, got a replacement then sold it on.

Thinking this Corsair Force 3 would be better & future proof due to being SATAIII, it's actually turned out worst mainly because of BSOD & locking up even though this is the so called fixed drives & this is on SATAII, running it on SATAIII can cause more problems from what i've read, luckily i don't have a SATAIII mobo just yet.

Im in the process of taking it out & getting my money back, & just sticking with my Sammy 1TB F3's which have been faultless for the past 2 years now, yeah bootup times are mega slow compared to an SSD, put least i can put them into sleep, without them BSOD of me or locking up, something i can't do with this SSD atm.

Associate
Im going back to them tbh.

Yeah SSD's are nice & fast, but the failure rate & the fact with the latest Sata III SSD's having problems mainly Sandforce, it just not worth the bother, my old Vertex 2 died on me just under a year out of the blue, got a replacement then sold it on.

Thinking this Corsair Force 3 would be better & future proof due to being SATAIII, it's actually turned out worst mainly because of BSOD & locking up even though this is the so called fixed drives & this is on SATAII, running it on SATAIII can cause more problems from what i've read, luckily i don't have a SATAIII mobo just yet.

Im in the process of taking it out & getting my money back, & just sticking with my Sammy 1TB F3's which have been faultless for the past 2 years now, yeah bootup times are mega slow compared to an SSD, put least i can put them into sleep, without them BSOD of me or locking up, something i can't do with this SSD atm.

The Crucial M4s are SATA III and are far less prone to problems! Perhaps try one of those before ditching SSDs for good?

Associate
No problems at all with my ssd so far and it wasn't a particularly expensive model, would definitely recommend one to anyone on the fence as the gains over my raid setup are very noticeable.

Soldato
BSOD complaint rate scares me too much :(

Last thing I need is to have my photoshop files trashed by a dodgy drive (I spend up to 12 hours on each image, and if the BSOD is due to the drive I wouldn't be at all surprised if it got mangled and lost!)

Might be acceptable for pure gamers, but for content generators, an unstable system is absolutely not acceptable.

Soldato
I use a small SSD for the o/s and a mechanical hdd and a NAS for storage.

When my Intel SSD died after a year I had a mechanical hdd for about 2 weeks and quickly realised I couldn't go back to a mechanical disk. The load times and the constant noise are frustrating and so I bought a Crucial M4.

MW

Soldato
The pace of SSD evolution is still high which makes me think SSDs are still an immature technology. Plus the price per GB is ridiculous compared to hard drives. Whether my PC boots up in 60 seconds or 30 seconds is immaterial to me for now.

The only advantage I can see in the current generations of SSDs is the 'less noise factor' but the above points put me off.

Soldato
60Gb Vertex 2E for boot and apps, 2x1TB WD Caviar Black RAID-0 for Game, Media, downloads etc and a 2Tb WD Caviar Green drive for backup.

Will need to do a complete wipe on the SSD already though, getting 200mb/s read and 50mb/s write on it now only a year of use..Though tempting to wait until i can get a 250Gb SSD for an affordable price so i can run boot, apps and games off of it.

Associate
Not had any problems with the 64g Corsair had it just over a year as a boot + most frequently played games. All my files are still kept on a mechanical HD

Soldato
just got a ssd 2 week's ago for the operating system (64 gig)

just got 2x1tb samsung's f1's for storage now.

to be honest i didn't really notice the difference apart from the noise.

going to get a 128gb for my steam games soon and see what that does to the loading times.

Soldato
Me, because I can't afford SSD's just yet, and I don't think they have reached a point where they can be considered 'mainstream'.

I do however want one for my O/S to run on if possible (But reliability is more important than balls out speed).

Soldato
Bought a 128gb Vertex 3 as a OS drive. Thing was rapid and was nice to have.

2 weeks later turned on my machine to it not booting. Checked the bios and the SSD had gone. Spent hours trying to fix it but soon concluded it was dead and returned it for a refund. Since stuck with mechanical disks.

Caporegime
I'm on mechanical... Why?

seems I would waste more time faffing with where to install stuff .. Therefor time saved would be lost elsewhere faffing around... Net result = things take longer and time loss with ssd
don't wait for the pc to shut down or boot so no issues there
I have too much stuff I want on the fastest partition (hence 600gb of velociraptor raid)... If I can't put all the games on it there's no point, level loads annoy me more than waiting for PS for example
cost is too much per gb considering my velociraptors cost £200 for 600gb
ssds seem a bit ... Dodge

my 2p

Last edited:
Soldato
Simple, cost the fact that a terabyte SSD is well expensive, SSD's are great as primary boot drives but for backup drives, especially when my backdrive drive is 3TB, I'll stick to good old hard drives. At least until I can get a 3TB SSD for under £100

Associate
Because Storage >>> Speed in terms of costs at the moment.

Also cannot be bothered to reinstall my OS, and I would rather wait till my next big upgrade so I can move to Sata 6GB/s, PCI 3.0 and whatever other malarkey is due for us...which I do not expect to do for another 1.5 - 2 years at least.

Associate
Would have got one earlier (Summer, 2009) if it wasn't for the high cost and the Sandforce scandal that put me off. Now I received a gift certificate, it is now possible for me to get a Crucial M4 256GB one which will serve my purpose plus have room to expand! I'm quite excited.

Back
Top Bottom