Who stayed with mechanical HDs

Soldato
My SSD is at a constant 30C in use always
Nope, that's just what the SSD reports to SMART monitoring software so it appears "normal" compared to HDDs. In reality, there isn't a temperature sensor on the SSD (presumably because it's not needed).

Soldato
A fairly recent survey showed that overall SSD's had a marginally higher failure rate than conventional drives 2.05% vs 1.94% (Intel SSD's had just a 0,59% failure rate). I think most people have kept mechanical hard drives for bulk storage like me, but when you get used to an SSD as you boot/ application drive its hard to go back. I just cant work out the people that claim that they don't make that much difference. I have upgraded three PC's - laptop HTPC and gaming PC with SSD's and in every case they made a big difference (no Sandforce drives here and no reliability problems yet)

Associate
I've gone for the combo option. SSD Caching using the Z68 option. I'm currently running a Crucial M4 with a 2TB WD, which works really well. I used to run an Intel G2 160GB which was a fantastic drive, a real solid performer. If it wasn't for the Z68 option, I'd have stuck with the Intel G2 with a 2TB for storage.

Associate
I'm sticking with mechanical drives for now. There are two major points that I want to see addressed before I go for SSDs:

1) Price per GB. I'd like to see 50p/GB, but if point 2 is addressed then I'd go for them at 75p/GB

2) Reliability. So far there have been large numbers of failures / design flaws, which highlight the relative immaturity of the technology. I expect to see improvements in the next generation or two.

In the meantime, all I can say about the performance of SSDs is that it would be nice to have - it is by no means essential for my usage patterns.

Associate
I've had quite a few problems with SSDs (two failed Vertex LE drivers, bluescreens on my Vertex 3) but the difference in performance is huge, so I won't be changing back to HDDs. It depends what you expect from a computer. Personally I think a few issues are worth the performance gain and I make sure I regularly image my primary drive.

Would I use an SSD in a critical system? Absolutely not. Would I use it for a gaming / personal computer? Definitely. But I'll be sticking to 120GB SSDs for my OS drive until they offer a 1.5-2TB performance SSD for a reasonable price, as my Steam folder is over 1TB - that will probably be another 2-3yrs, which should be enough time for reliability to mature. Until then I'll keep all non-OS data on my HDDs.

Back
Top Bottom