FRAUDULENT GW2 Codes (CJS-CDKeys)

Associate
First off I'd just like to say if a mod deems the thread title as advertising competitors then please remove the competitor. This, however, is in no way me bigging the up, quite the opposite.

Anyway, after being recommended CJS-CDKeys for my GW2 pre-purchase on this forum I thought I ought to let people know what's happened with my account. It turns out my key (and I assume many if not all others from this site) was originally bought direct from NCSoft using a stolen credit/debit card and then sold to me by CJS.

I was reasonably lucky to find this out before release and before having the option to put any real time into the game.
After contacting NCSoft account support and a few emails were fired across both ways (regarding what appeared to be an NA region gem store on my EU account in the BWE) I was told the following:
Vivian @NCSoft said:
The Guild Wars 2 Serial Code that you registered was originally purchased from our website https://buy.guildwars2.com/. This purchase was made using a stolen credit/debit card and was thus flagged as a fraudulent charge. This resulted in the provided serial code being permanently disabled.

I would suggest contacting the seller from whom you purchased the code for a full refund, as they sold you a code purchased with a stolen credit or debit card.

In order to regain access to the pre-purchase benefits, you must pre-purchase Guild Wars 2 again and apply a new, valid code to your account. To ensure this does not happen in the future, please purchase the game from one of our authorized retail partners https://buy.guildwars2.com/retailers or purchase directly from our website https://buy.guildwars2.com/.
So I got in touch with CJS regarding this (rather abruptly tbh) and to their credit they acted fast, initially issueing me with a store credit for the price of the game. After complaining and telling them I'd probably not be using them again they've now issued me with a full refund.
I was rather taken aback that what seems a reputable company had either ignorantly allowed this to happen or somehow been involved, especially when their only response to me was:
CJS-CDKeys Support said:
Sorry, we managed to purchase a batch of keys, in good faith, off of a rogue supplier. .. Not good!

I'd now recommend anyone who has purchased a key from this company to contact NCSoft account support with your cd key and just ask them to verify it is genuine. The last thing anyone wants is 6 months after release having your epicly geared/skilled character plucked from your arms!

Sorry to have to bring this to people's attention but I hope it helps!

Caporegime
init i wonder how many uk etailers were selling stolen intel cpus that time when 10million $ worth got stolen from an airport in london......

Associate
OP
No big hoohah really, I just know from the GW2 thread that quite a few people from this forum bought GW2 from them. Figured I'd just let people know what's happened with my account to hopefully save people the pain of having their accounts terminated at a later date.

Associate
You're lucky you had a quick refund, many people had to issue paypal disputes to even get anywhere with them. Anyone using websites like the above are just asking to be burned anyway.

Associate
No CD Key site is 100% legit anyway so why the big hoohah when it is discovered their dealings are a little "cloudy"?

I've had no problems from Green Man Gaming, GameFly and GameStop to be honest and I'd hardly refer to them as illegitimate :p

Never mind just realised I think that you are referring to places that claim to sell keys taken from retail boxes as opposed to downloads :o

Associate
My GW2 account was also banned. Cjs were mucking me around regarding the refund, in the end they placed an order on my account for the retail Diablo 3? And gave me an £10 refund. I requested my money back numerous times to no avail but as i was getting D3 anyhow i let it fly, got the key on release and box shortly after. Unsure if to use them again now but they have a cracking deal on the secret world so in two minds.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've had no problems from Green Man Gaming, GameFly and GameStop to be honest and I'd hardly refer to them as illegitimate :p

Never mind just realised I think that you are referring to places that claim to sell keys taken from retail boxes as opposed to downloads :o

Yes, that's what he meant. The CD Key sellers live in a grey area, they are buying keys from illegitimate sources in other regions, and it's inevitable that some portion of their sources are illegally sourced. People should be very wary of buying from them. The slight savings really aren't worth the risk IMO.

GMG, Gamestop, GameFly, and other authorized resellers are not the same thing at all. They are well-worth using, especially when they have a sale.

Associate
My key was confirmed as fraudulent, contacted CJs and got a refund within an hour, quite happy with that and sorry to hear it wasn't as smooth for others.

Man of Honour
As above some are authorised resellers like gamestop but there are quite a few like CJS who are independant and many operate via similiar methods - I don't believe they themselves are out to do anything fraudulent or malicious but as I've said several times the methods they use to aquire product keys is not particularly discriminating and leaves them open to both exploitation by people with lesser scruples or inadvertently aquiring invalid/illegal keys. Unfortunatly the people most likely to use these kinda companies are also the people who can least afford to lose the money :|

Man of Honour
GMG isn't strictly speaking a cdkey site though, they have their own content delivery system etc (albeit you might choose to register the key elsewhere on some titles).

Associate
Well my experience was this - I've used Cj's in the past without problems, they dragged their heels giving me a refund on the GW2 key all the time I was emailing them, until I started a paypal dispute. I was pretty annoyed but gave them the benefit of the doubt, I've used them twice since then without problems though.

In related news, I purchased another copy of GW2 from Zavvi (first time I've ever used them) who took ages to send it out and a copy got lost in the post (if it was even posted), I've had to fill out an online declaration and send it over (which I did whilst on the phone to them), they said "expect a fresh copy to be with you in 2 days maximum". That was 2 weeks ago and whilst on holiday I recieve an email from them telling me that my declaration wasn't accepted because it had a "computerised" signature on it. (even though I had previously been told it was accepted). In short, I should have just bought the ******* game directly from NcSoft.

Back
Top Bottom