The Ultimate Starter Guide for the New Years Resolution Army!

Man of Honour
So, you've opened this thread. You've made that first step, the easiest step, but the first step all the same.

You've decided to change yourself, change that flabby belly of yours, rid yourself of those disgusting flappy wings you call arms, decided to trade those flabs for abs and most importantly, you've made it clear that you want to acquire aesthetics! And for that sir/madam, I applaud you.

But it's a daunting world out there, or so it would seem. These so called magic powders, gyms with people who might want to tear your head off for even looking at their ripped physiques and all this protein and carbs mumbo jumbo, it's enough to make you backtrack on that first step. But if I can convince you to stay and read this guide, you'll see that in actual fact, it's all going to be alright and it's not the scary world you've been led to believe by that doughnut eating monster sat across you in the office.

So where do you start? Here's a quick checklist, and I'll elaborate on each after

1) A gym
2) A structured diet
3) Supplementation
4) Routine
5) Progress/Journals

The Gym

So number 1 is the gym! And there's no two ways about it, unless you're living in a mansion with a massive spare room to use and some serious cash to spend to kit it out, you're going to need to join a gym to see the results that will keep you past the typical February quit point.

But which gym is best for you?

http://www.gymsnearme.org.uk/
http://www.payasugym.com/find-a-gym

These two fantastic little sites are brilliant for finding exactly what gyms you have local to you. But don't just pick the one closest, as while being a bonus, it's far from the most important aspect to think of.

Take a tour of a few of them. After all you want to feel comfortable and at ease, and you want to feel like you want to be there. When taking a tour look out for a few things

- Equipment
- Changing Rooms/Shower facilities
- Cleanliness
- The sort of clientèle

Equipment is my biggest and most important sell point. Don't just take the fact they have fancy looking dumbbells as a good thing, do they go up to a decent weight? You don't want to out grow the gym in a couple of months, so try and find somewhere with weights that go up to a number that looks ridiculous, as chances are, in a few months, it won't seem so ridiculous at all. As well as that, you want a place that has plenty of space for free weights, not just a little bench in the corner. Free weights are the STAPLE of your new lifestyle. Machines, while important, are only going to get you so far, so by all means make sure they have a wide range of machines, consider them second to the free weights.

The other two on the checklist are important, but don't let them out weigh 1 and 4. Everyone wants a clean gym, but a clean gym is no good to you if the equipment is crud. So make it a consideration, but not a deal breaker

The sort of clientèle, now this is important. Similar to the weights, you want people in there that are going to push you and motivate you. If everyone in there is a scrawny little dweeb, sure it will massage your ego, but you'll get complacent, you'll not push as hard and you'll just get bored. Go for a place with guys that are huge, not idiots and selfish, but look like they are experienced. As these guys will be so valuable in helping you push yourself and even give you some advice if you get to know them. I suggest paying for an individual session in these places to get an idea of the sort of guys you'll be training with.

Also, DO NOT always aim for a chain like Virgin, Bannatynes or David Lloyd. They'll more often than not lack the equipment you need, be far too busy and be too cardio focused. Things like squat racks, and flooring for deadlifts are almost a luxury in these places. Try to aim for smaller indy gyms, these will have a far friendly crowd and usually a much better group of people that train their I find. Also, they'll be better equipped, maybe not cardio wise, but weight wise.

How much should you pay? Well this is unfortunately area and gym dependant. Anything from £20-£80 isn't uncommon, but the higher end tend to be chain gyms that might not always suit you anyway. Most gyms make you a pay a fee that covers absolutely everything, swimming, classes, boot camp etc, if that's the case, try and ask if there is a gym only membership as that can drastically reduce the monthly fee

A Structured Diet

Now as it happens, here's one I prepared earlier

But I feel it's important to elaborate a little bit, as for some of you, a lot of that won't make any sense or will all seem a bit much to start with.

The most important thing to remember is you need to determine what your goals are. As losing weight and gaining muscle require two different approaches all together. And while your initial 6 months will see you blessed with the wonder that is "noob gains", the ability to lose fat and gain muscle together, it won't last for ever, so it's better to get in the habit now.

Losing weight, this does not mean starving yourself, ignore the idiot woman harping on about the celery diet over at the coffee machine at work, it's not that bad, trust me. Losing weight requires eating a decent amount of food, and chances are, more than you're eating now, but clean food. Replacing 3 massive meals, that are maybe 5-6 hours apart, with smaller meals eaten in smaller intervals.

Gaining weight, now this is what most of you will want, but allow me to explain that this isn't a golden ticket to scoff your face full of ****. It still requires structure, and it still requires clean and healthy food. To build muscle, you need to be in a calorie surplus, which as a negative leads to fat gain. By eating clean food and sticking to a decent diet, you allow this to be kept to a minimum, because remember, when you've finished your weight gain cycle, and you want to get those abs out, you're going to need to lose all that fat. And the more fat you put on, the harder the job to lose it all and the longer it takes.

Read the sticky above, and if you want a diet to get you started, feel free to email me in trust, and we'll work out a plan to get you on the right track

Supplementation

So you've heard all about protein powders, and creatine. You've seen your mate Dave lose 4 stone by drinking nothing but protein powders for 6 months. You've been told they're like steroids and you'd rather stay natural. And you might also have been told that you can't gain muscle without them.

Well, I'm here to tell you to forget everything you've ever been told. As chances are, it's all a load of rubbish.

First off, you do NOT need to take supplements. And they do NOT replace normal food. They are supplements, used to supplement an already healthy diet, that you will now have hopefully began to think about. With that said, Whey Protein is a useful tool to have in your arsenal for gaining a better physique. If you're limited in when you can eat at work or your budget is low, whey can help you get the protein in your diet that you might otherwise be missing.

Here's a guide to what you might need:

Whey Protein
Whey Protein is essentially what every gym rat you see will be using when they refer to protein powders. It comes in many forms, Concentrate, Isolate, Hydrolysed and Casein. All this should not concern you in the slightest for now, as right now, you just want something that you can use to get some extra protein in your diet.

Dextrose
This is something you would only use post workout. Consider it a form of sugar, but not the type you've been putting on your cereal. We add this to our post workout protein to enable our bodies to better absorb the nutrients when our bodies need it most. This, while not essential when starting out, is still recommended as post workout nutrition is important to everybody

Omega-3 Capsules
Not to be confused with Cod Liver Oil, these are a fantastic addition to your diet, and a great supplement for anyone to take no matter their level of knowledge and training. Omega-3 can be gotten from many sources including fish and nuts, but supplementing it doesn't hurt and it's a great thing to add to your diet.

These for now, should be the only things you need to worry about. Creatine? Well yeah, it's great, but it won't benefit you when you're just starting out. But when you feel you're ready, there's the supplements thread

As for places to buy your supplements? For now you should use MyProtein, they are the best value place for a beginner to buy protein, and have discounts on first time purchases through referral codes, feel free to use MP68619 for a discount on your first order. Stick to their Impact Whey, it's a great value protein that provides good nutritional values while keeping the costs down, plus it has plenty of happy users on the board here who can vouch for it.

There are many other sources for supplements, but until you need better protein blends or things like pre workouts, you shouldn't worry about that. We want to keep things simple so that it doesn't seem too complicated to start with.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Supplementation Continued

Remember earlier when I said supplements should never be used to replace real food? Well, that's still definitely the case! Despite your new bag of protein sitting in front of you, that's by no means an excuse to be lazy. So when should you use them?

Whey Protein is an extremely fast digesting protein, something your body will tear through in about 20-30 minutes. So it's fantastic for getting protein to your muscle when it's been without for a while. So using that knowledge as a starting point, when has your body gone the longest without any form of nutrients? That's right, while you've been asleep. So first thing when you wake up or for breakfast, have a scoop of whey to go alongside the rest of your hearty breakfast. Also, when you've been working out, you've spent 40 minutes plus tearing away at muscle fibres and depleting glycogen stores, your body is crying out for some protein to help prevent muscle breakdown, or catabolism as you may hear it referred too on the boards. So again, protein immediately after a workout is brilliant, and because of its fast digesting properties, whey is perfect to use for a protein source.

But really, other than those two situations, your whey shouldn't really be used. Unless you really have no time to eat at work or have a super tight budget, but even then, try everything else before relying on whey.

Routine

This is where it can become a little tricky and off putting. So many different types of routines, so many different exercises, SO MANY CONFLICTING OPINIONS!!! But forget about that, all these crazy programs you hear about, you shouldn't be worrying about those until you have some experience under your belt. Strength programs and the like, while no doubt would be useful will just complicate things and maybe put you off. What you need is an easy routine to help you get into exactly that, a routine.

GordyR put together a brilliant starter routine, that will serve a lot new starters extremely well:

Monday (Chest/Shoulder/Triceps)

Flat Bench Press – 3x8
Incline Dumbbell Bench – 3x8
Skull Crushers – 3x8 (similar to lying tricep extensions)
Close Grip Bench Press – 3x8
Seated Dumbbell Military Press -3x8
Lateral Dumbbell Raises – 3x8

Wednesday (Back/Biceps)

Dead lifts – 3x8
Bent over one arm Dumbbell rows – 3x8
Chin Ups 3x8 (Or Lat pull downs if you can’t do chins yet)
Barbell Bicep Curl -3x8
One arm Dumbbell hammer Curls – 3x8

Friday (Legs/Abs)

Barbell Squats – 3x8
Dumbbell Lunges – 3x8
Calf Raises-4x10
Abdominal workout

A lot of those exercises might seem crazy to you, you may have never even heard the name, but there are a number of websites you can look at to check how to execute them. Exrx is probably the best one, there aren't many exercises not included on this website. The other tip is check youtube, especially with the bigger movements, they'll be plenty of videos to show you the correct form and help you to do them properly.

Should you do cardio? I bet your mate told you cardio during the off season is forbidden? Well he's wrong. Cardio should never be left out of any routine. Sure if you're looking to gain weight you'll limit it, but it should still be included. 20 minutes post workout on the treadmill or crosstrainer is plenty and will keep your heart in good working order. And that's the most important thing right? Your heart! No point looking like a Greek god if you run out of breath and aren't fit enough to chase the ladies.

As for the type of cardio, there are many, but again, for the sake of simplicity, just worry about steady state cardio for now. We can talk about HIIT later, and we'll talk about it for sure, as it's a brilliant form of cardio. So for now, buy a cheap heart rate monitor, or use the cardio equipments if it's fancy enough to be included, and aim to be between 110-130BPM, this is an optimal range for fat burning and will not see you sprinting like Usain Bolt nor walking slower than the old lady next to you.

Resting

The most important thing to remember is not to try and do too much too soon. Your body is growing outside of the gym, not in it. A strange concept I know, but when you are resting, your body is growing. So make sure you have your days off, don't be tempted to go in on your days off and do an extra workout. Rest up and eat! Sleep is so important too, sleeping at least 8 hours a night will reap massive rewards in terms of recovery and the gains you see. So if you're someone who didn't like to sleep much before and stayed up all night, time to change that, not only will you feel better for it but it will help you get where you want to be so much faster

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Progress/Journals

Keeping progress of your bodies transformation is one of the best things you can do in terms of keeping up the motivation. Without it, it's far too easy too miss these changes, think nothing is working and that you're wasting your time. Body dysmorpihic disorder is a very common condition, and one that I think everyone develops when going to the gym, because you become so critical of yourself.

I think a way of keeping this effect to a minimum is by keeping regular photo updates. This way, you can see every little change (be it good or bad). It's amazing just how much you can miss if you never do this, I went a year without taking photos after my first show, thought my off season had been wasted, it was only when I took some photos and compared them to ones just after my show that I realised I'd actually put on a decent amount of size.

Luckily here at OcUK, we have your back and provide a great facility for keeping a log. It allows the community to monitor your progress, offer any advice and give you the praise that you'll no doubt deserve. And trust me, nothing gives motivation than praise from your peers

The Training Logs Sub-forum is here. Make a thread, even if it's before you've even signed up to the gym, any commitment made now will help push you into it

As well as photos, measuring your weight is just as important. After all, everyone is different, and a calorie amount or diet plan that works for someone may not work for you. So get used to weighing yourself, but a decent set of scales, find a place for them and keep them there. Try and weigh yourself once a week, preferably in the morning as that will provide the most accurate and consistent measurement. When you're just starting out, you may notice you're getting leaner, but not dropping weight, or even increasing weight slightly. Don't be alarmed for disheartened. As I mentioned earlier, when you first start out, you'll be in the lucky position of being able to gain muscle mass and lose fat at the same time, far easier than an experienced lifter, so any weight fluctuations could be the combination of that.

In terms of the ideal amounts to lose or gain, when trying to lose weight, try and aim for around 1.5-2lbs a month. Any more than that and you'll risk eating into muscle. When gaining weight, aim for around 1lb a month tops, while this will never all be muscle mass, it will still provide a steady weight gain that will not slow muscle gain but provide minimal fat gain also.

So there it is, a decent starter guide for what you'll need to get that body you dream of. Remember though that while there is a lot of stuff you'll have to add to your routine, to see the right results, there are some things you may need to remove too. If you're someone who drinks every night of every weekend, maybe consider that as something you should massively reduce. Alcohol is never going to help you in your gym goals, and binge drinking is really going to hold you back. So, take this opportunity to stop and knock it on the head, or at least limit it to a sensible amount

Smoking as well is something that will not only save you money if you stop, but help massively with your fitness. There are plenty of resources for quitting, the NHS has some fantastic resources available at the moment which you can get via your GP or signing up online here - http://smokefree.nhs.uk/

Last edited:
Caporegime
I did one of these a few years ago, it was nowhere near as good as this one, it died a death and people still posted new threads and in the gym rats threads.

I'll link this one in the gym rats one also :D

Soldato
Great guide, need to get my first log up tomorrow / Thursday - my friends and I are running a 24 week transformation competition between us, £5 in each week. Just need to establish the rules now.

Soldato
Excellent guide, should help give a kick up the backside! I might bite the bullet and post a training log for the new year after seeing some "noob gains" over the last couple of months with a regular workout.

I would add:

I found the stronglifts 5x5 programme to be amazingly good. Perhaps that was a by-product of actually training my legs properly but I've made some great progress with it in the last couple of months. I would recommend this for a beginner. It's pretty easy to follow.

Don't be unrealistic with goals and the amount of gym time. I would love to go to the gym 4 or 5 times a week, but I simply can't with crazy working hours and a long distance relationship to maintain. Routinely going to the gym twice a week without fail hasn't been difficult to stick to, but a proper legs workout and upper body workout once a week has brought progress. If I do manage a third session I do HIIT. As a beginner even going twice a week is better than nothing and fitness builds up faster than you'd imagine.

Good luck in the new year!

Soldato
Good guide. I'd add more to the routines section though. I don't think I see people suggesting a 3 day split to beginners in here that often. Normally higher frequency is advocated so possibly you could add in examples of a 3 day full body and a 4 day upper/lower?

Good work anyway though! :)

Man of Honour
I think the point is this is a 'starters' thread.

If somebody wants to get clever with x/y/z, then great, but this should deal with most of the beginner questions that get asked.

The important thing to remember, too, is that a training programme should be reviewed every few weeks to make sure that it's:

a) Working;
b) Not making the person uncomfortable in a bad way (i.e. technique, or aggravating an undisclosed injury);
c) Identify weak points in the person's regime (i.e. they have bad core stability = more core work).

That sort of thing.

Steedie could add a vast arrage of programmes, but there is little point in going through all that effort as it would confuse more people than it would help.

Man of Honour
OP
I can certainly add more to the routines section, but as mrthingyx said, I didn't want to throw a tonne of information regarding routines and programs in someones face, make them wonder which one is best and they end up just not sticking to something.

The best thing is just to get them in a gym and used to a routine no matter how basic, then once they're comfortable with that, then they can look at more complex plans :)

Soldato
I can see why you've done it and it's a great thread but, (and I say this from a position of not having the level of knowledge, dedication or commitment as someone such as steedie) I do still wonder how often you recommend a 3 day split with the likes of skull crushers and hammer curls etc and no notes on progression compared to something like a full body 5x5 with only 3 or 4 exercises a day and details as to how to progress when absolute beginners ask the question in here?

Regardless the most important thing for anyone is consistency and I know that it can be unhelpful to someone looking in here for their first ever routine to have someone doing what I'm doing casting aspersions on the original post so I'd just like to note for anyone who falls in that boat that steedie knows far far more than me and that you will definitely notice a good improvement following the routine outlined.

Ps this forum has been crying out for a thread like this to be stickied for a while now.

Soldato
That's fine then but again more detail needs to be added for a beginner. There's no detail as to progression, no explanation of '3x8' if the objective is to not overcomplicate then it might be best not to leave too much ambiguity. Should they be taking 30 seconds rest between sets or 10 minutes? Should they go straight in to their working sets or do warm ups? Should they keep doing the same weight? up it when they feel like it or try to up the weight in a set out fashion?

It's only my opinion but like I say I think the forum needs a sticky for beginners and if you're going to assume that a 5x5 programme or the like might be overcomplicating then it follows that you might have to expand on things that people who have trained for a while take for granted.

It could be something as simple as ''3x8 means do 3 'sets' of 8 'repetitions' of each exercise take between 90 seconds and 3 minutes rest between each set (you'll probably need to take the full 3 minutes for exercises like Squats/Deadlifts/Rows/Bench but find you need less on some of the other exercises). Before each exercise do 1 or 2 sets of warm ups (the same exercise but with a lower weight - just to make sure you get the blood flowing to the necessary muscles) warming up is an individual thing and some people might need more but a good place to start in your first few weeks is 2 warm up sets: 1 at 25% of your 'working set' weight and 1 at 50%. You should aim to increase the weight you are lifting for each exercise on a weekly(?) basis for as long as you can. Be aware that you will be able to add more weight on certain exercises (typically those that utilise bigger muscle groups) and continue progressing with them for longer

etc etc.

People can obviously do it better than that, I just think that in general it might be useful :)

Soldato
Might want to throw some dun dun duuun cardio stuff in there...

I know it's not a massive thing, but some heavier resolutionists may want to do some...

Obviously make it clear any weight loss must be heavily linked with diet though. But ts is very much a 'how to be a gym rat' thread.

Would be worth pointing out the places to buy supps as well..

kd

Man of Honour
OP
I did mention MyProtein, and then I also mentioned once you're in a position that you need more than just protein and the basics, theres the supps thread to discuss it further. But this guide is purely for the first month or two of getting in that routine

Also I mentioned cardio, and explained about the requirements for that. Just need to elaborate further on that.

Back
Top Bottom