1.2Gbps FTTP Router Recommendation

Associate
Im currently with Zen Internet and some time in the next couple of months Zen will be launching 1.2Gbps and 1.8Gbps options. They will be providing a new router for these services which according to their customer support on twitter is the Eero Max 7 which after having used previous Eero products is not my cup of tea so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for an alternative router that will be able to provide support for the new speeds.

The cabling won't be an issue as the entire house is wired with Cat 7 cables ( when I go overkill I go overkill, plus I had a lot of free cable left over from helping a friend so it was stupid to waste it ) so it's just a matter of the router having the ports to support the new speeds. I don't really have a need for Wifi 7 (802.11be) as none of my wifi enabled devices can support it and I don't see them being able to in the near future. I also won't have an issue with the digital voice side of the router as I can use a Cisco ATA192 for that. So my friends, any good suggestions?

Also happy easter!!

Man of Honour
A custom box running OPNsense would be my vote. That way you can try out different distros too. Then get a separate wifi solution using the existing cabling such as TP link APs. Or go all in with a UniFi DM SE with their APs.

Soldato
I've gone with a UDM SE for my somewhat future proof router. Seems great so far more features than I will ever use.
The fact everything is controlled from one place is great, makes VLANs super easy.

Last edited:
Soldato
Let’s start with some basic rules here. Whatever you buy needs to be 2.5Gb LAN & WAN, we are still at the point where a lot of consumer class products market 2.5Gb and it’s only WAN, OK that means you can get the full profile spread over a number of devices (wired+wifi), but it’s not true full speed.

Buying a single box solution or a un-upgradable mini PC is arguably a poor choice. If you want to upgrade, it’s all or nothing and that’s more expensive than it needs to be.

Cheap, flexible and easily upgradable? That looks like a cheap desktop SFF, my old 6th gen idles at 14w (slightly more than most SoC based stuff) with no tweaks running a dual port i225, that would be 10w (about where SoC based routers sit) if it was 8th gen. Cost is likey £50-100 all in plus Wi-Fi. If/when you get a 5Gb or above class product, a new NIC is inexpensive and 5 mins to swap out. You could go disposable again and get a Topton or similar mini PC with a bunch of 2.5Gb NIC’s, but no upgrade path and more cost/limited BIOS updates/support.

That leaves the consumer SoC options, and you need at least one multigig LAN & WAN. Flint2 from GL.inet which can either run the vanilla OWRT build, or the new custom GL.inet firmware fork, or some ASUS routers (AX6000 iirc) - I can’t stress how horrible that suggestion is - or some of the TP Link range, but as @Rainmaker found out the hard way, the lower end SMB stuff spec has caveats and although they claim to support PPPoE and a /29 on WAN, they can’t do both together.

I could write a wall of text on the UDMP and SE, but let’s keep it simple, reasonable router/firewall that includes NVR option that depending on your needs leads you to buy some very average cameras compared to ColorVu/TiOC stuff that does full colour in pitch black near enough, but the flaming money pit of Unifi is real. £470 for an SE, a minimum of £95 for a U6+ (that's a pair of Deco x20’s near enough) and you still need to deal with the interconnect from that onboard switch’s limited uplink or break out from SFP+ to copper (£40ish for a Chinese no name mixed media switch). Also, while it can Nat at near 10Gb, IDS/IPS is limited to 3.5Gb/s and good luck getting multi IP WAN working till later on, but apparently it’s coming after *years* of being asked for/ignored. New Unifi routing options are also seemingly coming soon.

So what would I suggest and recommend? The cheapest option is to just use gigabit class products, they’re cheap and well proven at this point and you can get a lot for not a lot. A Flint2 is still pretty new, it’s hard to comment on the new firmware as it’s literally brand new and in beta, but OWRT is solid. Failing that the mini PC route is just short sighted with little significant up-side, it’ll save you a few watts, and over a few years that used to add up, but energy prices are going down generally. A cheap ex corp. desktop is cheap up front and cheap to run, easy to expand and OPNSense/OpenWRT/Untangle/Sophos XG are all decent options depending on your usage case, OWRT + AGH is probably a nice option for most. Unifi works, but you’ll be nearby £600 in new for a single AP and an SE and XGPON is 10Gb for a reason and CF will enable 5/10Gb sooner rather than later.

Personally, based on what little you have said, it would either be Flint2 or a cheap ex. Corp. PC and an i225-2T rev. C or i226 depending on where you want to go OS wise (i226 support is still not a given, but you can use Proxmox to virtualise and solve that) unless you want to burn money or have a specific need that doesn’t fit. What do I have? Usually a ex. Corp. desktop and a bunch of Deco’s, running Untangle/OPN/OWRT depending on what I am doing, but right now a UDMP-SE and U6 Pro with a bunch of Deco’s.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
WoW Avalon that's a lot more infomation than I was expecting :D thank you!!

Thanks everyone, I'll take your suggestions under advisement, the Flint 2 / GL-MT6000 looks interesting btw

Associate
I faced this dilema last year, and ended up going the CWWK N305 route. It has 4 i226 ports, 8 core (12th Gen e-cores) processer, and whatever ram & storage I see fit. It running VMware and Opnsense & PiHole. With that running its hardly breaking a sweat. My only regret is i didnt spend the cash and get one with SFP+ ports to make it even more future proof. But in a few years time ill probable get something newer.

Last edited:
Soldato
QNAP QHora 301 has 2 fully mappable 10GbE ports and 2 fully mappable 1GbE ports so you can have 10GbE LAN and WAN with 1GbE LAN and WAN failover. Or if you want to get a bit more interesting and run ‘nSense or UniFi then the QNAP Guardian 1602P has 2 x 10GbE SFP+ ports and 8x 2.5GbE ports and 8 x 1GbE ports and if that’s not enough it will also take 2 PCIe cards for even more 10GbE ports. QNAP have ready-rolled pfSense and UniFi Controller VMs, so it’s very easy to deploy. Everything is mappable in the software so you can have 17 WAN ports and 1 LAN port if that’s what you want to do,

Last edited:
Associate
QNAP QHora 301 has 2 fully mappable 10GbE ports and 2 fully mappable 1GbE ports so you can have 10GbE LAN and WAN with 1GbE LAN and WAN failover. Or if you want to get a bit more interesting and run ‘nSense or UniFi then the QNAP Guardian 1602P has 2 x 10GbE SFP+ ports and 8x 2.5GbE ports and 8 x 1GbE ports and if that’s not enough it will also take 2 PCIe cards for even more 10GbE ports. QNAP have ready-rolled pfSense and UniFi Controller VMs, so it’s very easy to deploy. Everything is mappable in the software so you can have 17 WAN ports and 1 LAN port if that’s what you want to do,
Wow, thats a nice bit of kit.

Soldato
Just pray you never have to deal with QNAP support., they've turned into a complete joke.
This is a fair comment. We actually stopped using QNAP for a short period while they adjusted their attitude. We have our own Customer Services handler now and generally it’s all good but any returns do have to go to Holland. And that can get expensive shipping a 16kg server.

Man of Honour
The vast majority of switches with 10 GbE uplinks will use SFP+. I don’t really see a valid use case for it on a UniFi gateway device as all their switches have SFP+ when they support 10 GbE.

I have a load of transceivers in a drawer. They aren’t expensive.

Associate
The device has a bunch of 1Gbe ports on the front, they could easily have been 2.5Gbe ports, Unifi (In my mind) is geared at ProSumer, and small businesses. These types will all be aiming for hundred MB to low GB WAN ports, they are not going to be having the need for SFP+ type bandwidth. And to the funnel any higher speed traffic into the multitude of 1Gbe ports is daft for the same cost increase to go 2.5Gbe / 5Gbe ports instead of 1Gbe is mad - in this day and age. Without the need for further costs.

Man of Honour
And to the funnel any higher speed traffic into the multitude of 1Gbe ports is daft for the same cost increase to go 2.5Gbe / 5Gbe ports instead of 1Gbe is mad - in this day and age. Without the need for further costs.
How do you know what that cost increase is? You don’t have facts, you are just speculating.
The device has a bunch of 1Gbe ports on the front, they could easily have been 2.5Gbe ports

What makes you so certain that it would have been easy or financial viable for them?

Associate
If, as has been pointed out above that there are loads of Cheap £40 2.5gbe switches (and there are just look at STH's recent reviews), then that proves the point. It was a business decision that put the 1Gbe ports there rather than 2.5Gbe / 5Gbe ports.

Back
Top Bottom