• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1070 not showing boot/BIOS screens but working fine?

Associate
Evening all.

I did a good, fatherly deed tonight and gave my son my RX7600 and took his 1070 so he had a better gaming experience, I was thinking of eventually upgrading anyway but for now I don't need much in the way of horsepower.
So I've swapped the cards, he's happy and I've spent 3hrs tearing my hair out because of this damn 1070!

The issue is, upon booting I see no boot screen or, if I try to go into the BIOS screen it stays black. If I don't try to go into the BIOS the PC boots totally fine and the first thing I see is the Windows login screen, the card functions totally normally when in windows.
I have reseated the GPU, cleared CMOS, checked drivers, tried to boot into the BIOS using windows recovery and tried different HDMI/DP cables but I get the same result.

I've googled and found some old issues but nothing that quite matches my issue, could this just be a compatibility issue? The sort of worst part is now that I've cleased the CMOS I'm left with loud fan profiles and my RAM running at 2133Mhz!

I COULD buy a low end CPU with iGPU to boot into the bIOS, change my settings then swap CPUs back but that obviously has its own issues, or I could bring that GPU upgrade forward? I'd probably have to go for something like a 6750XT so a small upgrade from what I had but it'd still be annoying.

Rob

Last edited:
Associate
OP
We'll now, that was faster than I imagined! Thanks so much!

I stalled and it's fixed, why it didn't come up in my search or why using HDMI didn't previously work I'll never know!

Back
Top Bottom