• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1366 X58 Xeon 5650

Associate
loonyk;30497365 said:
Using 6 sticks of 4Gb, got stable 4.2ghz. Bet it's not the limit, but i don't have time and decent cooling to do that. If interested can make pics of Bios settings. I'm using Gigabyte Guerrilla G1

I know its possible but it is an issue with this platform. Even people with no overclocking sometimes run into issues with 6 sticks, its always been the case. Some boards are better than others but it does seem to be down to luck.

Soldato
loonyk;30497365 said:
Using 6 sticks of 4Gb, got stable 4.2ghz. Bet it's not the limit, but i don't have time and decent cooling to do that. If interested can make pics of Bios settings. I'm using Gigabyte Guerrilla G1

Im interested in any bios settings to try out. Will also try removing 12gb ram (3 sticks). I dont need 24, i just had 2 packs delivered by mistake. and with ram prices as they are i could probably sell for more!

Associate
I've done some pics today. Max temps on CPU on load are mid 60's.

1aa70ea653.jpg

1aa712f1f4.jpg

1aa7163e13.jpg

1aa71af336.jpg

1aa722eed2.jpg

Soldato
Ok, ive tried all of the settings suggested here with 24gb ram and 12gb ram, the pc will not even startup past 3ghz and at 3ghz it doesn't shut down properly. I just think this revision motherboard isn't suitable for overclocking the xeon. I might sell it , and put the i7 920 back in, which I managed to get to 3.85 ghz with 24gb ram :(

Soldato
Ok, ive tried all of the settings suggested here with 24gb ram and 12gb ram, the pc will not even startup past 3ghz and at 3ghz it doesn't shut down properly. I just think this revision motherboard isn't suitable for overclocking the xeon. I might sell it , and put the i7 920 back in, which I managed to get to 3.85 ghz with 24gb ram :(

I had an X58m and that was no good for clocking. Max I got was 3.6GHz, so struggled in single threaded games. :(

Associate
Well, after reading almost all the info on this page I have finally got my X5650 at 4.4GHz.

It's on an Asus Sabertooth board with all 6 memory slots filled, so I am pretty surprized..

For me, CPU voltage offset worked out much better than setting it manually.

Thanks to everyone that shared their settings and info.

Soldato
How do you get it to 4.4 GHz without it boosting to 4.6 GHz on a single core? My Asus board won't let me do that, unless you've gone for 220 MHz BCLK and 20x multiplier?

Associate
How do you get it to 4.4 GHz without it boosting to 4.6 GHz on a single core? My Asus board won't let me do that, unless you've gone for 220 MHz BCLK and 20x multiplier?

Watching cpuz, I think it actually does boost to 4.6GHz at times.

Is that counter productive or a bad thing in anyway?

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Well, after reading almost all the info on this page I have finally got my X5650 at 4.4GHz.

It's on an Asus Sabertooth board with all 6 memory slots filled, so I am pretty surprized..

For me, CPU voltage offset worked out much better than setting it manually.

Thanks to everyone that shared their settings and info.

Nicely done, that's an excellent result!

What cooling have you got on the CPU?

Would you be kind enough to post all relevant BIOS settings to help others?

Associate
Nicely done, that's an excellent result!

What cooling have you got on the CPU?

Would you be kind enough to post all relevant BIOS settings to help others?

I've got a custom loop with 2 x 240mm rads cooling the CPU and GPU.

I'll take some photos of the bios a bit later and post them here..

Soldato
Just out of interest, who in this thread (still running these X58 xenons), is thinking of upgrading to Ryzen?

The reason I ask is I was reading an interesting article over the weekend where it was suggested that this launch could kill off X58, and I for one will be upgrading to Ryzen from my X5650

I've been holding out for some time for a reasonably priced upgrade without losing cores

Associate
Just out of interest, who in this thread (still running these X58 xenons), is thinking of upgrading to Ryzen?

The reason I ask is I was reading an interesting article over the weekend where it was suggested that this launch could kill off X58, and I for one will be upgrading to Ryzen from my X5650

I've been holding out for some time for a reasonably priced upgrade without losing cores

I might, but I am waiting for the Ryzen R5 1600X.

I believe that is where the sweet spot for price/performance would be.

But, don't say goodbye to X58 just yet..

Soldato
I might, but I am waiting for the Ryzen R5 1600X.

I believe that is where the sweet spot for price/performance would be.

But, don't say goodbye to X58 just yet..

True, that looks the good one and we would maintain 6 cores, with a good performance increase (for a decent price)

But at the same time, the motherboards alone bring new features, which has made my mind up

Soldato
Watching cpuz, I think it actually does boost to 4.6GHz at times.

Is that counter productive or a bad thing in anyway?
Not in general but it ruins things for me since I can't get 4.6 GHz to be stable.

As for Ryzen, it'd be a great upgrade from X58 but I personally am waiting for the R5s and also motherboard reviews to see which ones are good at overclocking. I'd rather not plonk £250+ on a motherboard that gives me overclocking issues again, particularly when there are ~£150 ones that might be as good.

Back
Top Bottom