• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

14th Gen "Raptor Lake Refresh"

Soldato

I Posted this over at YT...

"Since owning my 14700k I have always used a 0.07v undervolt for the core and set the max power states as per spec. I do not touch the clock speeds. Running at 4k, with a 4080, the CPU is the least of the concerns, in terms of performance. But my Z690 Gigabyte motherboard, by default, will use much more vcore than is required and also has unlimited power draw limits. Noting what Gigabyte seem to have done, with the 2 chipset motherboards mentioned, that still leaves those with Z690 boards made by them potentially running similar to how mine would do, without manual intervention. That's assuming the user understands that part of what they are seeing, in terms of thermal issues, is related to the default behaviour of their board when, perhaps, the most they have done is to go into their BIOS to set an XMP profile for their memory....You should not need to go into the BIOS, made worse by having to navigate through nested menus, to look for and set a std and safe profile to use for the CPU. That should be the automatic and default setting."

As @LtMatt noted above, it would have been interesting to see what it means when using the Intel BIOS baseline the performance differences at 4k, perhaps also at 1440p. That could be relevant for many peoples typical use.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
As @LtMatt noted above, it would have been interesting to see what it means when using the Intel BIOS baseline the performance differences at 4k, perhaps also at 1440p. That could be relevant for many peoples typical use.

From some quick testing I'm not really seeing any differences at 1440p with a 14700K and 4080 Super (Gaming OC) in the games I play - though probably not surprising as I rarely see over 150 watt power draw while gaming and often lower.

Associate
I wouldn't touch any new bios's for a while if i could help it
Im done with bios update , anything after 2002 is set to nuke the KS CPU within a year as it wants to pump 1.51v through it while gaming :rolleyes: Bios 2002 works flawless for me although some with low SP KS have a nightmare with it ... it works perfectly for mine though at SP108 and voltage much much better as i posted earlier in the thread . As for gaming i run mine with a 0.03V under volt and have noticed no performance drop at all and tbh have run it undervolted for years when gaming ...Benchmarking it gets turned up but when done its back to normal as more than enough performance for what i need .

Associate
Im done with bios update , anything after 2002 is set to nuke the KS CPU within a year as it wants to pump 1.51v through it while gaming :rolleyes: Bios 2002 works flawless for me although some with low SP KS have a nightmare with it ... it works perfectly for mine though at SP108 and voltage much much better as i posted earlier in the thread . As for gaming i run mine with a 0.03V under volt and have noticed no performance drop at all and tbh have run it undervolted for years when gaming ...Benchmarking it gets turned up but when done its back to normal as more than enough performance for what i need .
I know this is often counter to suggestion or best practice, but I am still on the release bios for the Z790 Apex Encore for the one reason, that it worked for everything I tested it at with reasonable CPU voltages and DRAM stability. I only would have changed it if that was an issue, but I have had a lot of experience in the past with the fix being worse than the initial bios.

Associate
I know this is often counter to suggestion or best practice, but I am still on the release bios for the Z790 Apex Encore for the one reason, that it worked for everything I tested it at with reasonable CPU voltages and DRAM stability. I only would have changed it if that was an issue, but I have had a lot of experience in the past with the fix being worse than the initial bios.
normally i would always update bios when released BUT as this is now such a mess and i have seen 1st hand how bad the later bios are will just be staying put myself from now on. At the end of the day if everything is working perfectly and remains stable then there should be no real reason to update the bios unless a major feature is release like when rebar came about and needed a mandatory bios update but as i can't see anything else coming up like that then will be fine as it tbh . IF i did have to change bios then obviously would do so and then set an aggressive 0.10v undervolt to get it inline with where i am now :o

Soldato
Kinda makes me feel good about overclocking my 12700K since all the voltages and parameters are set by me so the bios will only follow what i've set in bios. The one time i guess where overclocking or undervolting makes sense to stop the bios from doing whatever it wants.

Associate
some of these SP:D ... seem to be seeing higher as time goes on, possibly yields getting better or just very lucky people :cry:

This makes my 94SP seem pretty rubbish. Still does 5.9 all core at around 1.35 - 1.4v max under load. Adaptive voltage is somewhere around 1.465. My vid table is 1.488V for 6GHz.

Last edited:
Associate
This makes my 94SP seem pretty rubbish. Still does 5.9 all core at around 1.35 - 1.4v max under load. Adaptive voltage is somewhere around 1.465. My vid table is 1.488V for 6GHz.
you cant compare SP between SKU as they don't match up , the 14900K will have its own unique SP ratings as will the KS ... lowest KS i have seen so far is SP98 and the highest being SP 121 . MY SP108 will do 5.9 all core at 1.279 vmin in R23 and in games this is around 1.39v - 1.43v ... it seems all the high SP are closer together though as a member on OCN tested 4 KS at 107 to 113 and all needed within 10mv to run the same setting on R23 https://www.overclock.net/threads/o...lts-bins-and-discussion.1807439/post-29323905

Stock setting , MCE enabled

Desktop-Screenshot-2024-04-20-12-51-50-72.png

6.0Ghz 1.288vmin

Desktop-Screenshot-2024-04-20-23-45-35-51.png

6.1Ghz ( HT on ) 1.376vmin

Desktop-Screenshot-2024-04-21-02-21-41-83.png

Last edited:
Associate
you cant compare SP between SKU as they don't match up , the 14900K will have its own unique SP ratings as will the KS ... lowest KS i have seen so far is SP98 and the highest being SP 121 . MY SP108 will do 5.9 all core at 1.279 vmin in R23 and in games this is around 1.39v - 1.43v ... it seems all the high SP are closer together though as a member on OCN tested 4 KS at 107 to 113 and all needed within 10mv to run the same setting on R23 https://www.overclock.net/threads/o...lts-bins-and-discussion.1807439/post-29323905

Stock setting , MCE enabled

Desktop-Screenshot-2024-04-20-12-51-50-72.png

6.0Ghz 1.288vmin

Desktop-Screenshot-2024-04-20-23-45-35-51.png

6.1Ghz ( HT on ) 1.376vmin

Desktop-Screenshot-2024-04-21-02-21-41-83.png
Interesting that I get pretty much the same voltages for your 6.1 all core for my 5.9 all core for the 14900k. I guess that shows the binning being +2 in that example. I am cheating with using overclocking TVB to get a tiny bit more performance. I hit 6.2 very low load. Wondering if I should try the TVB temp offset to try and use that to get to 6hz all core in games. It hits it at 48c but I can’t see any sort of proper guide for that anywhere other than people saying it’s a lengthy process to manually work out. Great results for you anyway!

Last edited:

zia

zia

Associate
Just wondering If i should try 14900ks lottery?my 14900k is just an ave chip 100sp/P109/E82/MC75.
Best place to get one amazon? or newegg? any issue returning a dud to newegg?

Zia

Soldato
From some quick testing I'm not really seeing any differences at 1440p with a 14700K and 4080 Super (Gaming OC) in the games I play - though probably not surprising as I rarely see over 150 watt power draw while gaming and often lower.

FO-4.png

I suppose it depends on the game. Fallout 4 at 4k and a 4080 above.
Noting the above I would have more concerns, if I was bothered to, about the GPU's usage than that of the 14700k.

I was more interested in the tests done in that video as they seemed much higher at 1080p it would have been interesting, for direct comparisons, to have seen them at 4k.

Last edited:
Associate
Interesting that I get pretty much the same voltages for your 6.1 all core for my 5.9 all core for the 14900k. I guess that shows the binning being +2 in that example. I am cheating with using overclocking TVB to get a tiny bit more performance. I hit 6.2 very low load. Wondering if I should try the TVB temp offset to try and use that to get to 6hz all core in games. It hits it at 48c but I can’t see any sort of proper guide for that anywhere other than people saying it’s a lengthy process to manually work out. Great results for you anyway!
Whats crazy is could nearly run the 6.1 profile on the stock voltage the 2102/2202 bios puts through the chip ... essentially 1.350vmin for the stock clock of 5.9/4.5/45 where as for 6.1/4.8/54 required 1.376vmin as above :confused::cry: i don't mind putting that much through it for overclocking myself briefly but for a bios to do that on auto values , no thanks:mad: I use TVB as well but just the +1 profile which makes it stick at 6Ghz all core in game only thing i do is put +20 deg on the temp offset which will let it drop to 5.9 if it goes over 68 or there about but as its DD its normally in the 40's to 50's max :)

Can't really blame Asus as Intel should have done a much better job of binning these as anything SP105 or lower will likely need to be on the later Bios to remain stable, pretty much confirmed at this point that anything SP103 (sp104/105 probably the same ) or under is not stable on 2002 which is the bios i run and will need to be on 2102/2202... hope you like your voltage :rolleyes: :

Desktop-Screenshot-2024-04-20-02-30-45-52.png

And as R15 is known to be notoriously tricky to get to pass done a few hits with the 6.0ghz settings and all good ...

Desktop-Screenshot-2024-04-15-17-20-49-98.png

Desktop-Screenshot-2024-04-15-17-19-26-28.png

Last edited:
Associate
Just wondering If i should try 14900ks lottery?my 14900k is just an ave chip 100sp/P109/E82/MC75.
Best place to get one amazon? or newegg? any issue returning a dud to newegg?

Zia
it is just that a lottery as seen RSR eventually get a SP112 from OCUK and good ones from the other place you mentioned but also a lot of rubbish in the 1st few weeks .... many many SP99 etc and i ended up getting one that was promptly returned , luckily the 2nd i put in ( bought 2 at release from Scan ) was a keeper and the one i have now SP108/P122/E81/MC94 good luck if you go for it :)

Associate
Whats crazy is could nearly run the 6.1 profile on the stock voltage the 2102/2202 bios puts through the chip ... essentially 1.350vmin for the stock clock of 5.9/4.5/45 where as for 6.1/4.8/54 required 1.376vmin as above :confused::cry: i don't mind putting that much through it for overclocking myself briefly but for a bios to do that on auto values , no thanks:mad: I use TVB as well but just the +1 profile which makes it stick at 6Ghz all core in game only thing i do is put +20 deg on the temp offset which will let it drop to 5.9 if it goes over 68 or there about but as its DD its normally in the 40's to 50's max :)
Ah that’s really good info actually. So, with the TVB temp offset, is that just basically a user choice as in what temp you feel comfortable are the offset temp inputs something that needs tweaking for stability that may crash a stable overclock? That’s the thing I can’t seem to find out.

Associate
Ah that’s really good info actually. So, with the TVB temp offset, is that just basically a user choice as in what temp you feel comfortable are the offset temp inputs something that needs tweaking for stability that may crash a stable overclock? That’s the thing I can’t seem to find out.
yep afaik you just adjust the offset to your liking but if its getting too hot and starts crashing just back it off a bit , mine hasn't caused me a single issue doing it this way even with the undervolt still in place . once you set the offset you can jump back into bios and the table will be updated with the offset numbers added on :)

Associate
yep afaik you just adjust the offset to your liking but if its getting too hot and starts crashing just back it off a bit , mine hasn't caused me a single issue doing it this way even with the undervolt still in place . once you set the offset you can jump back into bios and the table will be updated with the offset numbers added on :)
This is great info thanks! Will give it a little go and see how I get on!

Back
Top Bottom