16-21 days in Canada - hit me with it!

Associate
I went with the family to Banff just over a month ago.

In early April not much will have thawed in the Rockies (Alberta, BC). You could

1) Skate Lake Louise (although as someone has already said, its not more than a lake and a hotel - incredibly pretty but the kids might get fed up any longer than a couple of hours there)
2) Ski Sunshine Village.. hire stuff and get lessons for a day or 2. Great, easy, well run resort. Amazing views.
3) Rubber Ring/Sledging - Night time at Mount Norquay
4) Banff town- There;'s loads do to... snow walks/hikes, Gondola, dog sled, hot springs. The town has some great restaurants and a nice family vibe.

It was our first visit to Canada and whilst mainly a skiing holiday we liked Canada so much we'll definitely be back. Good luck with the planning - a great choice.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
A little more time today then I expected to go through all these replies - thanks again.

So I can ideally aim towards more mid-April onwards, really depends on when Easter falls - so I don't have to pay the ridiculous missing school fees.

Personally for 16-21 days, pick one side and stick with it. The country is ginormous.

I do appreciate its a big country - maybe I am trying to do too much. We are happy to move around a lot, we tend to be people that do things instead of just relaxing. The last time we did something similar though of this scale, would have been pre-kids - 2014 we did the West Coast of USA (Vegas, Yosemite, Death Valley, San Fran, down to LA and a flight over to Hawaii - it was honeymoon). Maybe if we did look to start West and do Toronto on the way back.

Vancouver looked ridiculously expensive when I looked at hotels etc about a year ago, ive been wanting to go for ages.

I've looked at Toronto so far, pretty pricey also but between 4 of us (potentially 6) - but then I just remember its the same as going to London.

In early April not much will have thawed in the Rockies (Alberta, BC). You could

1) Skate Lake Louise (although as someone has already said, its not more than a lake and a hotel - incredibly pretty but the kids might get fed up any longer than a couple of hours there)
2) Ski Sunshine Village.. hire stuff and get lessons for a day or 2. Great, easy, well run resort. Amazing views.

We went to Banff, Jasper and Vancouver in 2022, also tagging on Whistler after we had to leave Jasper early due to wildfires. It's a stunning part of the world and great if you enjoy hiking. In April I would be concerned that it's still very wintery though, so bear that in mind when planning any activities.
In terms of the cold, that doesn't bother us. Me and my eldest can both board / ski - so actually if we did make it to Banff or somewhere similar, it would definitely be on our list to do for the day :) Although, I've heard some horror stories of costs of skiing in Canada vs Europe.

On my bucket list is definitely to take a dip in Lake Louise or something similar - regardless of temps, from the photos it looks beautiful.

Lots of ideas above, thanks all - more research needed.

Back
Top Bottom