2005/2006 F1 News and Testing.

Man of Honour
OP
Again - not F1 - but some of the best news I've heard all year...

Murray Walker returns to the mike

Having announced his retirement at the 2001 U.S. Grand Prix, legendary TV commentator Murray Walker today returns to the commentary box with new racing series Grand Prix Masters. The fan's favourite is gearing up again to say "Go, Go, Go!" when the inaugural Altech Grand Prix Masters South Africa race is launched in Kyalami on 11th – 13th November 2005. ‘The voice' as he is affectionately known is instantly familiar to millions of viewers around the world and during a historic gathering of Grand Prix Masters drivers at Silverstone today, Murray was emotionally re-acquainted with many of the racers who he so famously commented on during his 53- year reign as the people's favourite. Nigel Mansell, Emerson Fittipaldi, Ricardo Patrese, Derek Warwick, Andrea de Cesaris, and Patrick Tambay were amongst some of the great names who participated in the two-test session at Silverstone ahead of the inaugural race in two weeks time.

"When I retired in 2001, I vowed never ever to return to the commentary box and I sincerely meant it," said a delighted Murray. "Nobody made me retire but after 53 years I wanted to walk away with dignity while still being at the top of my game. It was a decision taken with a clear and relaxed conscious and since retiring, I have been on the receiving end of many offers including some from several new motor racing championships. I have had the willpower to say ‘no' to every offer proposed but my steely resolve melted away when Grand Prix Masters approached me," added Murray. "The Masters concept is a tried, tested and extremely successful formula in other sports and it works because it is personality driven. This series is about people and characters, including some of the most famous names ever to grace a motor racing circuit," added Murray.

"Watching Nigel Mansell and many other heroes climb back into thoroughbred grand prix cars this morning was very moving and surreal. It reinforced just how much I have missed being away and the thought of being at Kyalami in two weeks from now sends shivers down my spine! The Grand Masters series will be a huge success I'm sure and after having seen these drivers and cars in action today, the fans are going to be bowled over by the spectacle that awaits them in two weeks from now. These cars boast over 600 horse power which is way beyond what some of these drivers raced in the early 90s. The series will also travel to some fantastic circuits next year and I am thrilled to bringing the show into people's living room's once again," said Murray

Former Formula One World Champion Nigel Mansell (OBE) expressed his delight by saying, "This means everything to me! During his amazing 53-year reign as ‘the voice' of Grand Prix racing, Murray achieved tremendous iconic status around the world and this from a man who has never actually raced himself! Murray's partnership with this series is the ultimate credibility endorsement and I am sure fans around the world will be rejoicing at today's news. It simply doesn't get any better than this!"

:D :D :D :D

Superb - now to find out if GPM is going to be televised anywhere...

Simon/~Flibster

Man of Honour
OP
A statement issued today (Friday, 28/10/2005) by Michelin, reads:

Michelin is perplexed by the step backwards of the FIA's F1 regulation for 2006, felt to be incoherent with the FIA’s proclaimed policy to reduce costs

On October 26, 2005 the FIA’s World Motor Sport Council adopted new rules concerning the use of tyres in 2006: restoration of tyre changes during the race as well as increase in the number of tyres allotted per team. This is to be effective immediately for the 2006 season.

This urgent change, without advance notice:

Is incoherent with the cost reduction objectives sought by the FIA President.

Is a step backwards in regards to the 2005 regulations presented, at the time, by the FIA solely for cost reduction purposes.

As a result, these new rules will immediately increase tyre development, production and logistics costs by 15% since, contrary to what has been said, the 2005 solutions can by no means be adapted to the new 2006 regulation. This decision reveals a lack of technical understanding of the product and of what a tyre really is.

In fact, tyre wear and grip are calculated to ensure an optimum performance for a specific distance. To switch from a tyre designed to run for 350 kms in 2005 to a tyre that can be changed every 100 kms (or less) in 2006 will require tyre manufacturers to design an entirely new generation of tyres and will therefore increase costs.

As many have said and written in the past few weeks, we can only question the meaning behind this decision which negates all of the benefits of Michelin’s research in 2005 to design a tyre capable of running for 350 kms, allowing its partners to win 18 races throughout the year.

Michelin, therefore, questions the FIA's hidden motivations for the 2006 F1 regulation.

Once again, this event illustrates the F1’s problems of incoherent decision-making and lack of transparency.

In light of this situation, Michelin would like to thank its partner teams who did everything possible, unfortunately in vain, to inhibit a last minute new regulation returning, in fact, to previous regulations.

Strangely enough - Michelin are right about this.

Instead of carying 5 sets of dry tyres per car + spares they now have to handle 7 sets plus spares.

The FIA have no clue...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Tax Evader said:
It's truely fabulous news about Murray returning for the GPM - now wouldn't it be nice if Martin joins too - the old team back at last :)

And before anyone in power has any ideas about "****" - NO!

Shame it can't be Murray and James Hunt - they were great together. They didn't like each other for a start. :D

Found out that the GPM series is going to be televised - but by who - I have no idea. :(

Simon/~Flibster

Man of Honour
OP
Mosley re-elected

According to an FIA spokesperson, Max Mosley has been re-elected president of the FIA.

This means that Mosley, who was first elected president in 1991, will serve a further four years.

The election, in which no-one stood against the Englishman, took place at a meeting of the FIA's general assembly in Rome.

ARSE!!! :mad:

Arse! Arse! Arse! Arse! Arse! Arse! Arse! Arse! Arse! Arse! Arse! Arse! Arse! Arse!

4 more years of the muppet show...*and not the good Muppet Show with Kermit, Beaker, Bunsen, Animal and Fozzy...*

:mad: :mad: :( :(

Man of Honour
OP
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=34458 said:
MANSELL LABELS '06 QUALI "UNFAIR"

Nigel Mansell has criticised Formula 1's new knock-out qualifying system, labelling it unfair for less competitive teams.

The former world champion, who is returning to racing in the Grand Prix Masters series this year, reckons that the new system will hurt teams that need the most track time and says it could widen the gap between the haves and have-nots.

"I tell you, it’s sad isn’t it," Mansell said at Silverstone on Thursday.

"This new qualifying is up the swanny. The teams which are struggling need as much time on the track as they can to sort themselves out to get up to speed and they are being penalized because if they don’t qualify quick enough they are out in the first 15 minutes.

"And the others get more track time. How fair is that?

"It is a home goal before you start. I’ll be shot for saying this, but it’s not what the fans want."

Mansell also called for reduction in Formula 1's dependence on technology.

The British star, a renowned overtaker during his F1 career, claimed that rule-makers were missing the point by targeting aerodynamics to cure the lack of passing and suggested that drivers should more input in the cars.

"They are all looking at it from the wrong point of view," he said.

"With the computer age, when was the last time a computer missed a gear, when was the last time a computer spun the wheel at the wrong time without traction control.

"Drivers don’t make mistakes unless they make a complete balls-up.

"What they have done is sterilise it with too many driver aids through no fault of the drivers - who don’t write the rules. Put the cars in the hands of the drivers and all of a sudden you don’t need all that ********."

Mansell also had a dig at the raft of modern racing facilities on the F1 calendar.

The ex-Williams and Ferrari ace says that safety measures, though necessary, had made it possible for today's F1 stars to get away with mistakes rather than be punished for them.

And that combined with semi-automatic gearshifting had made overtaking more difficult in recent years.

"They have sterilised the circuits," he added

"All you do is barrel down into a second gear chicane where the computer is doing the traction control and automatic gear shifts, so you are just a passenger sunless they mess up with the computer then there is no overtaking opportunities.

"Coming into a second gear chicane with no traction control and manual gears you have got masses of overtaking opportunity."

Man of Honour
OP
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=34460 said:
STODDART LEAVES THE STAGE

On the eve of the formal handover of Minardi to Red Bull GmbH, departing team principal Paul Stoddart has thanked the Faenza squad’s staff, drivers, commercial partners and fans, as well as founder Gian Carlo Minardi, for their respective contributions.

Stoddart said in a statement: “I would like to take this opportunity to thank all Minardi staff, both on the race team and at the factory, in Italy and the UK, for their support over the last five years, and for the incredible job they have done, given the available resources.

“I would also like to thank all those who have driven for us in 2005 – Patrick Friesacher, Christijan Albers, Robert Doornbos, Chanoch Nissany and Enrico Toccacelo – for their valuable contribution to the team.

“I would also like to express my sincere gratitude to our engine partner, Cosworth, to our commercial and technical partners, and to the thousands of Minardi fans around the world, for their unconditional support of the hard-trying little team from Faenza over the years.

“Finally, I want to thank Gian Carlo Minardi. Unless he had possessed the vision and the bravery to strike out into Formula 1 in the first place, and the resilience to deal with the innumerable problems and difficulties that arose along the way, the team would undoubtedly have suffered the same fate as many well-known, and frequently better funded organisations, and simply fallen by the wayside.”

Stoddart lavished particular praise on Doornbos, who took over as Albers’ team-mate in the summer and immediately matched him for pace.

“I would particularly like to single out Robert for the fine job he has done in what might best be described as difficult circumstances,” Stoddart said.

“He only joined the team at the 12th round, in Hockenheim, and despite not having driven the Minardi Cosworth PS05 previously or taken part in a grand prix, he settled in quickly, got to grips with the car and the team, and was soon on the pace.

“In the eight rounds in which he competed for us, he displayed a high level of driving skill, a consistently positive attitude and excellent technical ability.

“In fact, despite his relatively short time with us, there is no doubt Robert's feedback made a significant contribution to the development of the new car.”

While lamenting the end of an era, Stoddart is confident that Red Bull will uphold the battling Minardi tradition.

“Regrettably, the Minardi name will now disappear from the sport, but I firmly believe the competitive spirit that has burned brightly within this team for the past 21 years will live on under new owners,” he said.

Man of Honour
OP
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=34457 said:
FIA DISMISSES MICHELIN COMPLAINT

Michelin’s criticism of the FIA over the decision to reintroduce tyre changing in Formula 1 has met with a stony response from the governing body.

The FIA staunchly defended the procedures by which the decision was arrived, insisting that the voting system ensured the input of all of Formula 1’s key players.

A statement “noted” Michelin’s objections and said: “The decision to reintroduce tyre changes in Formula 1 was supported by an overwhelming majority of the Formula 1 Commission members and by a unanimous vote of the FIA World Motor Sport Council.

“The Formula 1 Commission is made up of all the F1 stakeholders including representatives of the teams (10), event promoters (8), engine suppliers (1), tyre suppliers (1), sponsors (2) and just one representative each from the governing body and the commercial rights holder.

“Michelin are clearly confused, but it is difficult to understand which part of the very basic and entirely democratic voting procedures adopted by the FIA that Michelin [are] perplexed by.”

The FIA did not address the substance of Michelin’s claim that the effect of the tyre rule change will be to increase costs for the tyre manufacturers and teams in 2006.

Man of Honour
OP
NickK said:
Why not ban wings completely and only allow aerodynamics from the body shell only. There has to be a way to differentiate a wing from the body shell..

Because you're then lowering the class below Formula Ford..

Whats the point of going up through the classes Formula first - Formula Ford - Formula Renault - GP2

When you can get people with the necessary experience in setting up the car correctly in Formula First

Wings are a part of motorsport now - they're in virtually everything.

I'd rather loose all the flipups, winglets and crud from the body - set a maximum downforce level from the wings and reintroduce ground effect.

Will allow them to get much closer and keep some speed up through the corners.

Man of Honour
OP
Was posted in the last gp thread I think - although I've heard that he may be making an appearance in A1GP during the off season...

I know about the customer cars bit - thats what F1 used to live off - sadly once Barnie and Max got in charge theystopped that. That really does need to be changed - but by next year? No chance.

Man of Honour
OP
Nice to see Albers with a seat for next year. Definately more deserving that others I could mention.

Got a couple of bits to post later - but just cant be bothered at the moment. Too knackered.

Simon/~Flibster

Man of Honour
OP
Suzuki reveals plans for F1 team

Former F1 star, Aguri Suzuki, has revealed that he hopes to run a team in 2006, with engine supplied by Honda, which recently bought out BAR.

"We have cleared all the hurdles we had to clear up to this point," he told reporters in Tokyo this morning. "Obviously there is a huge amount of work left but we plan to be on the grid in 2006.

"We have the technical cooperation of Honda behind us so we are confident of achieving our dream of competing in Formula One," he added

Suzuki revealed that he has officially notified the FIA of his intention to enter a team, and also confirmed that he has held preliminary talks with Takuma Sato.

We are at a nice stage in talks with Takuma," said Suzuki. "I'd like to see him racing with a good team and he'll want that too. Our goal is to build a team he will want to drive for."

Aguri Suziki - F1 star?? Errr...ok...

Yet another team looking at Sato though
wallbash.gif

Man of Honour
OP
Stoddart hands over the keys

It was a "sad day" for Paul Stoddart as he completed the handover of his Minardi F1 team to new owners Red Bull on Monday.

Stoddart, who has been at the helm of the team for five years, sold Minardi to Austrian energy drink billionaire Dietrich Mateschitz in September with the sale going through on Monday.

"It's all done, they own it. They didn't mess around," he told Reuters.

"It's a very sad day and I really wish there was another solution."

Red Bull have already revealed that they'll be changing the team's name to 'Squadra Toro Rosso'.

"Regrettably the Minardi name will now disappear from the sport," Stoddart added.

"But I firmly believe the competitive spirit that has burned brightly within this team for the past 21 years will live on under its new owners."

Man of Honour
OP
Ferrari's V8 Is 200 Horses Down On Power

Ferrari's Felipe Massa is quite pleased with the new V8 engines, even though they are severely down on power. The new V8 currently has 200 less horsepower than last year's V10s but is apparently still extremely quick. Here is what the young Brazilian had to say about his recent run in a V8 powered F2004:

"It's definitely better than I expected. With two cylinders less there's a lot less power, but it's fast anyway. It was fun, I expected worse, but I like it. We'll be able to go fairly fast."

Man of Honour
OP
Albers confirmed at Midland

The Midland Group has announced the signing of Christijan Albers as one of its race drivers for the 2006 FIA Formula One World Championship.

Midland will relaunch the team formerly known as Jordan Grand Prix under its own banner on 15 November 2005. Albers will conduct his first test with the team on 7 December 2005 at Jerez, Spain.

Following a successful career in various Championships and a promising rookie season in Formula One with the Minardi F1 Team in 2005, Albers is the first driver to sign a race contract with Midland for 2006.

Colin Kolles, Managing Director of Jordan Grand Prix, stated: "I have known Christijan since 1999, when he was driving successfully in Formula 3 in Germany, winning six races and starting 10 times from pole. Since then, I have followed his motorsport career with keen interest. He is very competitive, professional and a proven race winner. I am confident he will acclimatise himself to our team very quickly and help us with the car's development throughout the season."

Christijan Albers commented: "I am really happy to be taking the next step in my F1 career with the Midland team. I appreciate all I have learned with Minardi this season, and look on this move as a step forward. It is by far the most challenging option for the future. I know the team a little bit already, as I tested with them in December 2004; and I have known Colin since 1999, when I had a very successful F3 season in Germany. I am impressed by the way the team, along with partners Bridgestone and Toyota, are developing the new car. I am really looking forward to the first test at Jerez on 7 December in the team's cool new colours and will do my very best to help the team move forward on the grid. I should like to thank Mr. Shnaider and Mr. Kolles for their confidence in me as a race driver. My thanks also to my sponsors for their renewed support: the investors represented by Peter-Jan Rubingh; my management and marketing agency *** Industries.com; Essentially Group who deal with final negotiations and legal affairs; and ABN AMRO Bank; all of whom are have done a great job. Last but not least, I'd also like to thank my fantastic group of fans, who support me day and night."

Man of Honour
OP
Current 2006 Team/Driver linup

Code:
[b]Entrant 			Constructor 		Driver 	[/b]
Mild Seven Renault F1 Team 	Renault 		Alonso 
Mild Seven Renault F1 Team 	Renault 		Fisichella 
McLaren Mercedes 		McLaren-Mercedes 	Raikkonen 
McLaren Mercedes 		McLaren-Mercedes 	Montoya 
Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro 	Ferrari 		M Schumacher 
Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro 	Ferrari 		Massa 
Panasonic Toyota Racing 	Toyota 			R Schumacher 
Panasonic Toyota Racing 	Toyota 			Trulli 
WilliamsF1 			WilliamsF1-Cosworth 	Webber 
WilliamsF1 			WilliamsF1-Cosworth 	????? 	
Honda 				Honda 			Button
Honda 				Honda 			Barrichello 
Red Bull Racing 		Red Bull-Ferrari 	Coulthard 
Red Bull Racing 		Red Bull-Ferrari 	?????
BMW 				BMW 			Heidfeld 
BMW 				BMW 			?????
Midland F1 			Midland-Toyota 		Albers 
Midland F1 			Midland-Toyota 		?????
Squadra Toro Rosso 		Red Bull-Cosworth 	?????
Squadra Toro Rosso 		Red Bull-Cosworth 	?????

Man of Honour
OP
Tats just confirming who will be driving for the 2 teams - nowhere does it mention the no2 slot at Red Bull Racing.

I've heard rumors of DC and Liuzzi in one and Klien and Speed in the other - as Klien is more experienced and could act as team leader in Squadra Torro Rosso

Simon/~Flibster

Man of Honour
OP
No such thing at Monaco. :D

It's the 'jewel of the F1 crown' as numerous people say - I disagree but it's the most expensive GP to attend tbh.

Simon/~Flibster

Man of Honour
OP
JV out of a drive in 2006?

For the second time in three years, 1997 champion Jacques Villeneuve could be about to find himself without an F1 home.

Although the French Canadian last year signed a 2005 and 2006 contract to drive for Sauber, the Swiss team has been bought and taken over by BMW.

While that does not affect the status of Peter Sauber's legal agreement, the Munich based carmaker did not choose the 34-year-old, and therefore might not want him at Hinwil.

To sidestep its contractual obligation, then, BMW could simply pay Jacques his modest $3m retainer to do little more than gardening next year.

It is believed that Alex Wurz (McLaren tester) and Heikki Kovalainen (Renault RDD driver) are further up BMW's wish list to be Nick Heidfeld's BMW teammate in 2006.

Villeneuve told 'f1total.com' that there has been no dialogue between himself and likely 2006 BMW principal Mario Theissen. "I find that surprising," he told the German language internet website.

Jacques added: "I always adhere to my contracts, so I would be surprised if (BMW) did not see it the same way."

Villeneuve added that he had not been advised when he might be required for pre-2006 winter testing, which is set to kick off in late November.

Yeah...right JV - so your last 'race' for BAR being done by Sato is sticking to your contract when you didn't want to race...

Mr Pot - meet Mr Kettle

Man of Honour
OP
Toyota ahead in V8 engine race

With four months to go until a new era dawns in formula one, Toyota might just be the car in front when it comes to the V8.

The rumour mill insists that while its rivals might be struggling for reliable miles, the fledgling Toyota 2.4 litre V8 is leading the pack.

"We seem to have done more kilometres than the other teams," the Cologne team's president John Howett agreed, "so we seem to be in a good position."

More of an unknown for 2006, however, is the team's switch from grand prix pacesetter Michelin to Bridgestone, even if the Japanese marque is delighted about the restoration of tyre change pitstops.

Howett told 'Speed TV': "It was very hard to decide to move, but ultimately we think Bridgestone will recover. The V8 engine might require different characteristics from the tyre, which could be more favourable for Bridgestone.

"We may have made the wrong decision, but at the moment we're confident that it will add something to the package."

Back
Top Bottom